PDA

View Full Version : Auto VS Marine Head Gaskets - Difference

suprasam
06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
I know there are some things you just CAN't Change from auto to marine. I might need new head gaskets, and was hoping if I needed a set that I could just stop by Advance Auto and pick a set up. Prior to screwing something up, I thought I would get an opinion or two first.

wotan2525
06-03-2013, 12:50 PM
The marine gaskets are build with stainless steel or aluminum instead of regular steel. This only makes a difference if you are running in salt water. The difference with fresh-water cooling is minor.

Regardless -- I'd get a set of Fel-Pro gaskets. They are much higher quality and are either composite or stainless steel anyway.

cadunkle
06-03-2013, 02:25 PM
If your engine is raw water cooled use marine gaskets, I recommend Fel Pro. This is not a place to cheap out. Any gasket that contacts raw water should be marine.

suprasam
06-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Yes it's raw water cooled. Thanks I will just go by local marine shop and pick up the marine gaskets and get those put on after I do my compression check.

CornRickey
06-03-2013, 02:54 PM
Your going to get the heads and deck checked for flatness right?

suprasam
06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
yes, taking them to a local shop to make sure they are not warped. I would hate to do all this freakin work and then find out I gotta do it all over again! I'm pissed at myself I am even doing it the first time. I am just about mad enough to take the boat to the lake and pull the plug. I know it's not that major of a thing, but it's just flat aggrevating the piss out of me. I tried walking away from the boat a couple of days, hoping I wouldn't be as mad......lol but NOPE still ticked!