PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on ignition systems

Mattyman
06-03-2013, 03:33 PM
My 86 TS6M has been having issues ever since installing a new Mallory E-Spark module. My original electronic ignition module failed and I replaced it with the Mallory. Ever since, when cold my boat will start up fine but after cruising around for 15-20 minutes and shutting it down, it will not restart. What happens is the ignition coil heats up and I loose spark until it cools off again. I have tried different coils, checked over wiring, adding/removing ballast resistors, etc. I'm thinking about just starting over and getting a whole new distributor with electronic ignition and hopefully resolving the issue. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good reliable set-up that will work with my 351w along with cost and where to purchase? I'm looking to get back into business with the best 'bang for the buck' solution.

michael hunter
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
I have two 351s both are still running with points . Very reliable , very easy and very inexpensive to maintain. The nice folks at skidim can help you with what ever system you choose.

CornRickey
06-05-2013, 02:36 AM
I had the same issue when switching to Petronix ingnition. I was able to verify it was my coil by running a jumper wire from the empty small post on the starter solenoid to the hot side of the coil. This enables a full 12 volts to the coil only while cranking. My old coil and harness had to much resistance for the ignition module to fire. I ended up changing out the coil for one recommended by Petronix and life was good. I would crank it over when hot and it was crank and crank and when I let off the key it would fire but not continue to run. The jumper wire is a old mercruiser thing. Might be worth a shot.

michael hunter
06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
The jumper wire is an old point and condenser automotive thing. Its called an ignition bypass . When you are cranking the engine the starter takes away from the system battery voltage . That combined with the ballast resistor can drop the voltage to the coil below the required voltage to start. On the solenoid the two small terminals are marked S and I, S goes to the starter I goes to the + side of the coil. During start up the I term sends full battery voltage to the coil bypassing the ballast resistor.

haugy
06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
I have two 351s both are still running with points.

I know big orange isn't running points.........so did you add to the stable?

To the original question. I've seen many people have issues converting them over, and like Michael I've been running points on every Supra I've had. Once you know how to work with them, they are very reliable, and easy to repair if you have to on the water.

michael hunter
06-05-2013, 04:38 PM
You are right the fleet is now complete. Remember that 84 comp in West Virgina well it now resides in GA. I will post a thread on it soon.

haugy
06-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Congrats, your PM's are all full by the way.

Sorry for the hijack to the thread poster.