PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Conbrio with Blown Motor - Value??

AbleDanger
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Ok so this weekend I put in my 1990 Conbrio for the first time. Problem is, one of the cylinders decided it wanted to be free of the motor... Block is cracked, connecting rod punched though the oil pan and so it needs an engine.

I love this boat and we have owned it since new. The stringers and floors are completely solid and up until this happened, the only thing I ever had to do was change to oil, change the raw water pump and plugs regularly. It have been a great boat in every way.. The only thing it needed before this was a few cushions recovered and the red paint is faded.

That said, I may just decide to sell it as is. Any idea what the value might be? It was run only on a lake in Indiana, was on a lift all its life with a cover and in the winter it was stored in a garage.

Any help is appreciated.

Jetlink
06-03-2013, 09:10 PM
If you truly love the boat, maybe look for a donor boat with another 351W in it or a donor block. It's cheaper than selling this as is and finding something else. At least you know what you have here.

haugy
06-03-2013, 09:13 PM
No motor, $2,000. I hate to say it but there are 87's that run in here for about $3000.

In great condition they can be had for $7-8. There are composites for sale for $9k. An average condition boat can be had for 4-5, which is what yours sounds like it is. But with no motor, I'd say $2000. But I could be way off. Ask what you think you should and see if someone will pay it. It's worth what someone wants it for.

Me? I'd get a new motor and run that. All you need is a short block, and then use the rest of the stuff you have now. As long as it's not damaged. Figure about $1000 for the short block, $2000 for a long block.

Or try to find someone selling their motor.

AbleDanger
06-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the replys.... I kind of figured between $2000 and $3500 since I know the stringers are rock solid and aside from the motor, everything else is cosmetic... but I don't know if I can go a whole summer trying to sell a boat with a blown motor, then finding another with issues unknown..

haughy... what do you mean by composites?

Jetlink
06-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Composite stringers instead of wood stringers that are prone to rot.

Jetlink
06-04-2013, 12:35 AM
20 years and you still love it? Then replace motor. I would find another motor but increase the HP with this opportunity that you have.

Even getting a GT-40 engine in there would be awesome!!! I hang out with a fellow forum member who has a comp like me though his is newer with composite stringers and a GT-40 engine in it and I always say that if I could swing it, I would totally drop in some GT-40 heads tomorrow.

haugy
06-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the replys.... I kind of figured between $2000 and $3500 since I know the stringers are rock solid and aside from the motor, everything else is cosmetic... but I don't know if I can go a whole summer trying to sell a boat with a blown motor, then finding another with issues unknown..

haughy... what do you mean by composites?

As jetlink said, the stringers are different. Up until 1992 Supra made their boats will wood stringers and floors. In 1992 the switched over to fiberglass, so there is no rot issue. They are called composites around here. In 1996-1997 they made some Supra Comps just like yours. They look like the old-school version that people loved, but they were all fiberglass. So you get the classic look without the classic headaches. Those are the ones that go for about $9,000. You can see a nice one in the classifieds section.

I agree with putting a new motor in. While I would do like the others and put in a better engine than what's in there, that isn't always in the budget. The stock engine is plenty powerful.

michael hunter
06-04-2013, 09:51 AM
I agree if it were mine I would put a motor in it . If you decide to sell let me know I will be in Indiana in Sept .

hyghoctane
06-04-2013, 01:38 PM
MMMM I have a conbrio with floor that needs work. I should just buy yours and switch everything over. :)