PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Supra Launch DD vs. 2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV

wax
06-05-2013, 12:03 AM
Hi, new to the forum (although I swear I registered years ago, couldn't figure it out lol). I've owned a 2000 Launch for the last 6 or 7 years. I've kind of got the itch lately to upgrade to a v-drive. I'm pretty set on staying with Supra or moving to a SAN (like mid-2000s 211 or 226). I haven't really enjoyed the wake on other boats as much as Supras and Nautiques.

I came across a decent deal on a 2004 22 SSV. I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm going to within the next day or two. I remember that when I first got my boat, I had a friend on the lake that had a 2003 SSV (not sure what size). It seemed so much shallower than my hull for some reason. I remember watching him surf, and it just wasn't very impressive (maybe he didn't load it right). I'm able to really load my boat down (I have about 1500lbs of ballast, and have had up to 10 people on it at the same time) and get a pretty nasty surf wake (best DD I've seen personally), and I've been told by some real good riders that my wakeboard wake is pretty dang good also. My boat does have the wake plate, but ironically the hydro motor is locked up since last season and stuck at 50%, and that's where I usually ride it anyway so I haven't fixed it yet!

What are the differences between my hull and the 04 22 SSV? I've been trying to research it, and I've been looking at pics. I just can't quite figure it out, but there's something different it seems. I really would like to get something a few years newer (really I just want v-drive, more for the seating configuration, and perfect pass or stock cruise), and I just have the itch for a new boat. However, I don't want to change my wake unless it's a better wake. I'm just afraid that the newer shallower hull may not be as good as what I have, but I find it hard to believe that a newer and "bigger" boat wouldn't have a better wake. I've also heard that the 04 22 SSV is like a 9 person capacity? Mine is 13, so it says.

Any thoughts? Maybe I should just stick to my boat and save the $13k difference. I have already had some offers on my boat that are pretty good, but I'm having a difficult time justifying spending that money.

I've also come across an 06 20 SSV and an 07 20 SSV for not a whole lot more than the 04. I'm really afraid of going to a smaller boat though. I wonder how that would compare to my boat.

Thanks!

James
06-05-2013, 07:00 AM
I also have the 2000 dd supra launch and the wake is sick. The only way I would ever upgrade is to a v drive is if the wake was the same or bigger... Guess we're in the same boat here. Haha literally. The only thing I don't like about mine is the engine in the middle. That's my only complaint.

wax
06-05-2013, 09:35 AM
Me too, and I don't have perfect pass. Other than that, my boat is great. It needs a few little minor things that don't really matter much to me, but it's all more or less minor repair items that I haven't addressed yet (back seat is tearing is the most annoying one).

Maybe it's stupid to even sell it, I should just be thankful that I could even afford a boat like that when I was 20. But since the market has kicked back the last year or two, I literally have it listed for the same price I bought it for and I'm getting offers pretty close to it!

I wish I could find somebody that went from a DD Launch to a newer SSV and could comment...since I posted this yesterday, I also found a 2007 22 SSV that I'm pretty interested in.

haugy
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Go here: http://www.supraboats.com/archive/ and compare the two.

From what I can tell your Launch is only 3" wider at the beam, but weighs much less then the SSV. But their draft is both 24". The hull designs probably changed, but for the V-drive and just due to time. But essentially they should be very similar. I only have experience with a boat like your Launch, so I'm no help on the SSV.

But maybe you can garner some information from the archives. And welcome back.

CornRickey
06-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I would pick my vdrive over my dd all day long till I have to work on it. But both boats are light years apart in design ansd advancement. Best bang for your buck if your looking to step up and interior space/storage isn't a issue, keep your boat and I stall perfect pass/heater.

wax
06-05-2013, 03:10 PM
True, accessing the DD is way easier than a v lol, and I do a lot of regular maintenance on my own. I am going to look into installing perfect pass, I'll search on here for threads on people installing it themselves. Looks like it will cost me about a grand maybe? My speedos will probably have to be working though lol.

The harder I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards just sticking with my boat. It's hard to justify the price difference just to get v drive and perfect pass, I really do like my wake.

jzelt
06-05-2013, 03:31 PM
Ours is rated for 9 people (seems on the low end for sure).
We bought ours from people that surfed with it.
I have surfed/rode with a line behind 1 like ours, but no way am I even a beginner when it comes to that. (Seems like something I will get into when I get older...Much easier wrecks).

Love the layout and not having to go around the motor, so it works for everything we do. (It is above all of our abilities/capabilities/expectations and all amateurs when it comes to that).

CornRickey
06-05-2013, 04:41 PM
If your not in tidal water just get the stargazer and be done with it. There about a grand but no drilling holes in the boat andno splicing into your paddle wheel harness

James
06-05-2013, 05:36 PM
I have the wakeboarder pro perfect pass and it literally makes wakeboarding that much better. No more arguments with my girlfriend anymore haha. But my speedos don't work right now and my prefect pass works fine. It has it's own paddle wheel for speed. Without perfect pass its pretty easy to keep the boat at the right speed with no ballast but when I have over 2k it's harder and perfect pass has no problem at all. Post up some pictures of your boat. What's your typical wake/surf ballast set up?

CornRickey
06-06-2013, 12:48 AM
^^and its not a matter of you keeping the speed, that's easy. Its a matter of you significant other keeping the speed when your behind it. PP has enabled me to get o. The water more because my wife feels more comfortable and there isn't any issues with speed adjustment. You can say that PP is the Dr. Phil of the boating world!

Sirgonz
06-06-2013, 02:28 AM
^^and its not a matter of you keeping the speed, that's easy. Its a matter of you significant other keeping the speed when your behind it. PP has enabled me to get o. The water more because my wife feels more comfortable and there isn't any issues with speed adjustment. You can say that PP is the Dr. Phil of the boating world! AND that is the reason I went with my 2012 Supra 20 SSV the zero off and auto ballast control lets my wife drive and only worry about where she is going and what the spotters are saying...

wax
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
I agree, I reminisce about all the times my wife will turn a corner and be going 30 for half of the length of our lake before she realizes it...perfect pass would make my wakeboarding much more efficient since I waste a lot of time waiting for her to correct the speed lol! Do you think I could install the star gazer on my own pretty easily? I'm pretty mechanically inclined.

I have a 600# sack in the ski locker that doesn't quite fill up all the way because it's wider than the locker. I leave that full all the time, fill it up at the beginning of the season and empty it at the end. I have the stock 400# under the back seat. I leave two fat bricks in the rear locker at about 75# each, but I use those mostly to adjust the wake to compensate for people (like if my wife is just driving). I have two side sacs at 275# each; I don't use them all the time for wakeboarding since my wake is pretty good without them and they really get in the way if people want to walk around. For wakesurfing I fill up the left side sac and then I put the other side sac on top of it, but it sits further back so almost half of it is on the rear seat and half is on the other sac. Then I just move the two fat bricks all the way to the left of the rear locker.

My winter project this year, if I keep my boat, will probably by plumbing the center ski locker sack (and maybe even another sack in the bow) to the stock pump, with a shutoff valve to select the front or rear ballast to fill. I have also contemplated putting a bag in the storage area behind the spotter seat and plumbing that as well for surfing.

CornRickey
06-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Hardest part is getting under the dash. You'll also have to run comminucation wire to the engine for the solenoid. Pp website has all of there manuals available on line.

James
06-06-2013, 12:30 PM
I've been running hard tank full under seat (400), sac in rear locker (400), bag in front locker (750) and then another bag behind doghouse in floor (750). I can also put two sacks beside engine in floor (1100). I also have two other 550s that I never fill up.
For surfing I fill hard tank (400), rear locker (400),about half of front locker (400), sac pushed back beside the doghouse (750), and a (550) half on that and half on back seat.
So usually 2300lbs wakeboarding, sometimes 3400lbs, and surfing 2500lbs. I wakeboard at like 23 and surf at like 11.5. I love my wake!

wax
06-07-2013, 09:45 AM
I've been running hard tank full under seat (400), sac in rear locker (400), bag in front locker (750) and then another bag behind doghouse in floor (750). I can also put two sacks beside engine in floor (1100). I also have two other 550s that I never fill up.
For surfing I fill hard tank (400), rear locker (400),about half of front locker (400), sac pushed back beside the doghouse (750), and a (550) half on that and half on back seat.
So usually 2300lbs wakeboarding, sometimes 3400lbs, and surfing 2500lbs. I wakeboard at like 23 and surf at like 11.5. I love my wake!

Good deal! I'd love it if you could take pics of your setup sometime. I'm just trying to figure out where to stash more bags, and it sounds like you have some interesting ones. I love my surf wake and my wakeboarding wake. My surf wake is great, but it's freaking awesome when I have like 10 people in the boat. I'd like to figure out how to mimic that with more bags, but I just don't see where I'm going to put them. I'm curious to see yours.

I talked to my wife at length yesterday, and I think we're going to stay with our boat. I'm going to take around $1500 to do repairs and improvements (maybe a little more if I do perfect pass), and keep it at least another 5-6 years. She thought I was crazy for wanting another boat, especially since we have one of the nicest wakeboard boats on the lake. It's hard to be upset with a boat this nice, I'm just one of those people that's never satisfied lol. I talked to my business partner who has a lot more money than I do, and he thought I was crazy for wanting to upgrade. He joked with me that his ski boat, pontoon, and all his jetskis combined are less than $14k, which is the extra amount I wanted to spend on top of my boat to get another one lol!

DAFF
06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
I talked to my business partner who has a lot more money than I do, and he thought I was crazy for wanting to upgrade. He joked with me that his ski boat, pontoon, and all his jetskis combined are less than $14k, which is the extra amount I wanted to spend on top of my boat to get another one lol!

Spending money is the easy part. Doing it wisely and with justification is what separates most with financial success. Good call on keeping the boat. 5-6 years from now there will be newer boats which will strike your fancy, so it is a never ending battle. Congrats on waiting to pull the trigger on the purchase, more people should do this to eliminate buyers remorse or bad calls....

wax
06-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Spending money is the easy part. Doing it wisely and with justification is what separates most with financial success. Good call on keeping the boat. 5-6 years from now there will be newer boats which will strike your fancy, so it is a never ending battle. Congrats on waiting to pull the trigger on the purchase, more people should do this to eliminate buyers remorse or bad calls....

True, there will always be something bigger and better. I bought this boat when I was 20, shortly before I turned 21. I'm now 27, so I've had it a while and I've put most of the use on it. Most of my friends couldn't afford it now, let alone then, so my wife always tells me I should just be thankful that we have such a nice boat! Plus, it's kind of like my baby; I got it shortly before I met my wife, definitely before kids came, and I've never owned any vehicle or toy longer lol. It would be a really sad day to see somebody else drive off with it, I bet I'd cry lol!!!

James
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Good deal! I'd love it if you could take pics of your setup sometime. I'm just trying to figure out where to stash more bags, and it sounds like you have some interesting ones. I love my surf wake and my wakeboarding wake. My surf wake is great, but it's freaking awesome when I have like 10 people in the boat. I'd like to figure out how to mimic that with more bags, but I just don't see where I'm going to put them. I'm curious to see yours.
Ill definatly get some good pictures next week. I'm going to be at the beach all this week (outer banks, nc). If your ever anywhere near the upstate sc you should definatly come ride with me sometime... I would prolly learn a lot watching you ride.

wax
06-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Well...you guys on the Supra forum might all not be that happy about my decision, but here's what's happened! I ended up selling my boat yesterday to the guy that looked at it on Monday night (hopefully he'll join the forums, real nice guy). I took it to his house, helped him set up his hoist, and went on a little tubing run with him and the kids. He seems very happy, but it was definitely hard leaving. I felt like I broke up with a girlfriend of over 6 years...

Anyways, my new boat is going to be a 2006 Moomba Mobius LSV. I know, it's a Moomba and not a Supra. But I've heard great things about the 06 and newer Mobius hull, and it basically has all options but docking lights and a hot/cold shower. I'm happy because I got the things I wanted which are v-drive, perfect pass (wakeboard pro, not gps), plumbed ballast (gravity III), and a tower that's easier to fold down. The bonus is it's the orange color scheme, which is by far my favorite! When I was buying my first wake boat back in 06, it was between my 00 Launch and a new 05 Outback LSV (the new Moomba was almost $10k more though). The Outback was the orange color scheme, and I just loved it! But I was told by much better riders than I that the Launch would be the better wake of the two (and it was $10k cheaper lol). This Mobius I'm getting is under 200hrs and in excellent condition, and I feel like I'm getting a good deal.

Anyways, a step down in "name" which I don't care much about, but I think it's a step up in boat. I think it will work out great though, and it wasn't a huge step up monetarily; definitely not as big of a jump as when I was thinking about a newer Supra! I'm picking it up tomorrow night, so hope to be on the water with it Saturday!

James
06-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Post up some pics of the new boat.

wax
06-15-2013, 04:32 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/Neller0414/2013-06-15_06-52-11_472_zps8ddf85be.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Neller0414/media/2013-06-15_06-52-11_472_zps8ddf85be.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/Neller0414/FB_IMG_13712710897961719_zpscf3a9ef3.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Neller0414/media/FB_IMG_13712710897961719_zpscf3a9ef3.jpg.html)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e21/Neller0414/2006%20Mobius%20LSV/20130612_192256_zps54a1de60.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Neller0414/media/2006%20Mobius%20LSV/20130612_192256_zps54a1de60.jpg.html)

brysteele
06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
I think in 07 they changed hull design on 22 SSV -3 inches longer and a little wider.

DAFF
06-16-2013, 09:57 PM
Time to paint the roof to match the new boat... To the untrained eye it would be very difficult to see the difference between the Moomba and Supra. Enjoy the new ride.