PDA

View Full Version : Question on possible purchase 2001 Supra Launch dd

ll05
06-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi...

Long time lurker, first time poster, figured I would ask the source on feedback about Supras. A little background on myself, I own an older Chaparral boat, had it since 2008, it's been a great first boat to learn on. I'm mechanically inclined and do my own maintenance on my raptor quad, 600rr street bike, and my vehicles.

Now on to the boat in question. I first saw the boat a month ago on craigslist, and the asking price was $18k. I tried emailing the seller and never received a response. I come across this ad, which the guy says he just bought the boat a couple of weeks ago, and he's asking $19k. I asked him about the ad, because he used the photos from the original ad. Weird, maybe, I thought it was a little odd.

I'm looking at a 2001 Supra Launch dd on craigslist... http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3851831079.html

This would be my first foray into the world of wake specific tow boats.

The ad states it has 650hrs, is this too many? Now I've scoured the interwebs and some say hours don't matter dependent upon how well a boat has been taken care of (eg. a 2001 with 1000 hrs, used and taken care of, can be better than a 2009 with 20 hrs that wasn't used nor maintained.

What's the consensus of the Supra crowd, good first wake boat? What about the price. Were there any general issues with the 2001 Launches? If I do decide to further pursue, and go look at the boat, what to look for? I would obviously lake test it before buying.

I appreciate anyone's feedback, and feedback on this specific year and model Supra.

Thanks,

LL

michael hunter
06-06-2013, 07:55 AM
First Welcome to the forum.
Price is about average . 650 hours are average about 50 per year. Look at the condition of the boat inside and outside . Look for signs of neglect or repairs just made to cover up and sell . How long has he owned the boat ? Why is he selling ? Service records ? Try to look in hard to reach places where it may not have been disturbed or cleaned. Test Drive before you buy . If you are not comfortable doing it yourself take it to a marine service center and have them go through it.