PDA

View Full Version : question on possible purchase 2001 Supra Launch DD

ll05
06-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi...

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I figured I would come to the source for info on Supras, and I wanted to see what the forum thought of this possible purchase.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3851831079.html

2001 Supra Launch
ad says 650 hrs(is that too many?)
routine maintenance has been done, I've haven't viewed the boat in person yet.

I currently own an older Chaparral, I'm not new to boating, just to wake specific tow boats.

Any particular issues with this particular year/model?

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

LL

James
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Seems kind of high. I paid 9500 for one last year with less hours but it was basically a deal of a lifetime. It had perfect pass and over 2k of ballast. It's a great boat though excellent wake, and nice surf wake. I've seen them listed anywhere from 15000 to low 20s. Try to get it as cheap as you can and this boat will not disappoint you.

Ptownkid
06-06-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah...$9500 is a ridiculous steal.

wiatowski
06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
I think Daff paid 10 for his.... once again a steal.

Ptownkid
06-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Daff paid 10 for his with a large hole...ans yes it was still a steal.

kvand347
06-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Daff paid 10 for his with a large hole...ans yes it was still a steal.

You guys are kidding right? $9,500 or $10,000 for an 01 Launch. Who are these people giving away $20,000 boats?? I'd say if you can get that guy down a grand you'd be getting a great boat at a fair price.

James
06-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Guy had it listed for 15 in Orlando. I called him as soon as I saw it asked about it and all cause 15000 is still a really good deal. I told him I was 17 and just looking to get my first real wake boat and told him I got 10k cash and I could meet him tomorrow. And he accepted. So I drove 9 hours to Orlando stayed in a motel, met him the next morning and bought it. He took off 500 when I came to look at it because the starter was rusty and he said it should be replaced.

kvand347
06-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Guy had it listed for 15 in Orlando. I called him as soon as I saw it asked about it and all cause 15000 is still a really good deal. I told him I was 17 and just looking to get my first real wake boat and told him I got 10k cash and I could meet him tomorrow. And he accepted. So I drove 9 hours to Orlando stayed in a motel, met him the next morning and bought it. He took off 500 when I came to look at it because the starter was rusty and he said it should be replaced.

All I can say is WOW! I may have to hire you for my next big purchase. You have the gift of negotiation my friend! Getting someone to drop 1/3 of their asking price...crazy!

James
06-06-2013, 10:17 PM
Haha I've prolly bought and sold more boats in the last year than most people have in there entire life so I guess I learned some good negotiation skills. It's kinda became a hobby of mine to fix up boats and sell them. However once I bought my launch I couldn't sell it I love it to much. So now I buy other boats to fix up and I am saving for a newer supra. My parents prolly hate me because we have a 3 car garage and my supra takes up the long garage and my project boat (1994 monterey 190 with a Chevy v8 and new wake tower) only fits sideways taking up the other two garages. Yes i do make a little bit of money but the skills i learn about engines, and boats are priceless. Glad I have parents that are so supportive of my "business". Does anyone by chance know how many boats I can title in one year without getting a dealers liscense?

CornRickey
06-07-2013, 01:50 AM
I'd spend the extra dough on a vdrive anyday.

wax
06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Does anyone by chance know how many boats I can title in one year without getting a dealers liscense?

In Michigan it's 6 title transfers legally, doesn't matter what type of vehicle. However, I have gone over that (maybe 7 or 8 in a year) before and not had an issue, but if you did like 20 maybe they would flag you.

wax
06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Hi...

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I figured I would come to the source for info on Supras, and I wanted to see what the forum thought of this possible purchase.

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/3851831079.html

2001 Supra Launch
ad says 650 hrs(is that too many?)
routine maintenance has been done, I've haven't viewed the boat in person yet.

I currently own an older Chaparral, I'm not new to boating, just to wake specific tow boats.

Any particular issues with this particular year/model?

I appreciate your feedback!

Thanks,

LL

I have the exact same boat, just a year 2000. I put mine up for sale in Michigan for $23k, which is what I paid for it almost 7 years ago. The boat market around $20k has been really hot this year. I had a $20k offer on mine the first day I had it listed.

I've been thinking about upgrading, mainly because my friend has a 06 Nautique 226 that he was going to sell me cheap. He kind of backed out, so now I have the itch. However, I love the wake on my boat for wakeboarding and surfing, so I don't want to get something sub-par. I was going to look at a 2004 22 SSV and a 2007 22 SSV, however we're talking $34k - $40k for those boats. I talked to my wife at length last night about it, and I think we've basically decided to keep the 2000 Launch DD. It's a phenomenal boat, and honestly probably the best wake for a DD boat in history. I do really love it, and I won't be sad if I keep it for a long time.

I think the asking price is fair. My boat has 530 hours on it, and I wouldn't sell for less than $20k right now in this market. That boat looks very clean, cleaner than mine. I haven't had many issues with my boat other than regular maintenance type things. Here's what I would do:

Check that all electrical systems and gauges work, and that the rear ballst fills and empties easily.
Check the trans fluid to see if it's dirty or clean.
Check the seal around the drive shaft, while in the water it should drip at 10-15 drops per minute out of it.
Check that hydraulic wake plate works smooth (my hydro motor locked up last year).

Other than that, if it looks good (which in the pics it looks really good), I'd say go for it, as it's reasonably priced as is.

wax
06-07-2013, 09:59 AM
I just looked at the ad again...the more I look at it, the more I like it! I like the black color, and I really like the black tower. Mine is blue where yours is black, and my interior is exactly the same, but my tower is stainless. You can tell mine sat in the water (which I moored it also before I got a hoist) because the blue on the bottom of my hull was pretty faded. Looks like that one is nice and shiny, so I bet that boat has always been trailered (which is good).

Honestly, if you can get it to $17-18k, I think you'd be getting a great deal. It looks very clean and has some nice add ons, those tower speakers and board racks aren't stock and aren't cheap. The boat speakers don't look stock either, unless 01 came with those covers. I'd absolutely go for that boat, and you definitely won't be disappointed.

You'll LOVE it over your I/O, I bought an I/O first when I was getting really into wakeboarding, but I bought my boat the very next year because I was not happy with an I/O at all. Best decision, I've had more fun on that boat than anything else. I now have a family, and it's been really great for that too. It's a wonderful all around boat; we wakeboard, surf, pull 3 or 4 tubes, and slalom ski all back to back. It performs very well for all watersports.

DAFF
06-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Boat looks to be in better condition than average and has been loved. The biggest issue is the vinyl will start to show its age in this era. Often it can turn brittle and have stress cracks. For anyone looking at a new to you boat don't forget to crawl under the rear section of the boat and inspect the rudder and prop area for damage and any slop.

wax
06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Boat looks to be in better condition than average and has been loved. The biggest issue is the vinyl will start to show its age in this era. Often it can turn brittle and have stress cracks. For anyone looking at a new to you boat don't forget to crawl under the rear section of the boat and inspect the rudder and prop area for damage and any slop.

Good point, just grab the rudder and see if there's any play in any direction.

My vinyl is all original, and my back seat is very poor right now, and some others that get high use are starting to crack like DAFF mentioned. You can actually just hear how brittle it is if you step on it, it will crack just from that. Just check around for that too, but the vinyl would be one of my least worries since that's a pretty common and simple thing to have fixed. Although if it's the whole boat, that'd be an issue since it's not exactly cheap. If any vinyl is cracked or needs replacement, that's good negotiation power.

ll05
06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Wax....I appreciate your input, that's exactly what I was looking for. The guy text me early yesterday morning, saying that he had someone coming to look at it and wanted to buy at $18.5 Friday(today), I told him I wouldn't be able to get out there before then, and that I wouldn't pay anymore than what he paid(this boat was on Craigslist a month ago, he bought it for $18k). I didn't see the ad fast enough the first time, so this guy(current owner) has had the boat literally 2 weeks.

Thanks,

LL

DAFF
06-07-2013, 12:59 PM
The ol' guys coming with cash routine..... Pressure to go out and grab the boat before the other fella comes. As a seller if someone offers a solid number you will hold onto the boat until the potential buyer gets there. You wouldn't have another party try to beat the deal which is already on the table. As for the timeline of the sell. The seller has less than 18 in the boat or it is a problem child. My bet he wheeled and dealed the boat for 15k or so and he's looking for 18.5 for a quick flip.

Find out if the title has been changed and use this as leverage if it has not. Be very wary of hidden liens too!!

wax
06-07-2013, 01:54 PM
Yup, as DAFF said, oldest trick in the book. Tell him no problem and to call you if the other guy doesn't buy it, but you're a serious buyer ready to go. Nobody that's not a shyster would bid it out after a solid offer was made, so he's more than likely just trying to work you. No harm no foul if that's the case, he's trying to make a buck like the rest of us.

Check if he's jumping title or not, that will tell you if he bought it to flip or not. If he skipped title (or if he has a dealer's license), dang sure he probably paid less than $18k for it, so you may be able to do some negotiation...wave $17k in his face if that's the case. If he actually transferred title and paid tax, it's more likely that he now realized he can't afford it and is trying to recoup his investment if he stays firm at $18,500. If so, definitely check for any issues because it's possible he didn't see an issue when he bought it and now doesn't want to hassle to fix it. I hope you will lake test this boat and check everything out to the best of your ability, since you're a boat owner I'm sure you're knowledgeable enough to see any significant issues.

Also, in the latter case if he bought it at $18k and paid taxes, it'll be up to you if you want to pay it or not, because he can probably still get the $18,500 and just because he bought it for $18k (or less) doesn't change the fact that it's still worth the $18,500 (if it is, which based on the pics it looks like it is). Basically in that case, you missed out on the better deal and he'll profit, but no reason to be mad at him for that. Be objective and look at the boat for what it is and what it's worth to you.

ll05
06-07-2013, 03:29 PM
When I called the guy, the first thing I asked him was why is he showing the photos from the previous owner's craigslist ad. He seemed taken aback that I knew it was for sale previously. I did ask him to send me some hi-res or just more photos in general and he kept bsing, saying just come look at it. It's an hour away from me, not bad I know, but I'm not getting everything ready to go look at something that I'm not 100% is in the condition it is said to be in, etc... The boat/trailer looks good from the photos, but we all know that photos can skirt the truth.

So I proceeded to asked him why he is selling it so fast, he said he just turned 21 and found out he's going to be a father. Since he bought the bought literally weeks ago, I wondered if he had actually titled it, or was going to try to jump titles, seeing as how $18k worth of tax is probably $800-$1000.

My own personal dilemma is that I could technically pay cash, but I would rather use someone else's money(with low interest of course :-)).

The previous owner's craigslist ad stated $18k firm. I asked the current seller straight up, what he paid for it, and he said $18k. I personally would pay more than he did for the sheer fact that a.) he's trying to flip, and if he's doing that then he can find another buyer that doesn't know that it was just bought, or b.) he bought it before understanding if it could actually afford it.

Thanks,

LL

DAFF
06-07-2013, 03:41 PM
I would go look at the boat with a deposit in hand. Have a good look around a get a vibe from the new seller. If his wife or GF is there a congratulations are in order for the new arrival. From there the truth will come out. When buying never trust anyone, read them as well as possible and watch for things which do not make sense.

ll05
06-07-2013, 06:56 PM
On another note...I've been calling around to various credit unions and no one wants to loan on a 2001 model. Is cash the only option? Did anyone else finance older boats?

LL

wax
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM
That's odd, I wouldn't think there would be any issue financing a 2001 boat of that value.

It's definitely worth going and checking the boat out. Sounds like a kid in over his head...I know, I was in almost the exact same situation, but I kept the boat!

ll05
06-11-2013, 12:50 PM
So the 2001 Supra Launch is out, I never heard back from the seller, no big deal.

What do you guys think about a 1990 Supra Mariah, around 1k hours, has some issues(detailed in the craigslist ad). Does it look like a basket case not worth messing with?

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/boa/3858732697.html

Thanks,

LL