PDA

View Full Version : pylon for an 86 marauder

Ironcross25
07-18-2006, 04:24 PM
can anyone tell me which flyhigh pylon I can get to work with my 86 marauder. My center bar has a t on the top so I cannont slide one on. Anyhelp on pylon selection would be awesome.. Thanks

selle92
07-19-2006, 08:51 AM
I have a "T" top on my pylon as well.

I don't think they make any extended pylon to fit over them.

You'll actually need to hammer out that little piece. I haven't done it yet... waiting to get an extended pole first.

But, heard a hammer and piece of pipe to bang it on works pretty good.

Ironcross25
07-19-2006, 10:08 AM
let me know how it works out for you.

selle92
07-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Will do.

a friend of mine did this before he got his monstertower a few yrs later. Said its not too hard to do.. Said it's easier with 2 people. 1) holding the pylon - just to be sure and to brace it, then him to bang it out.

Ironcross25
07-20-2006, 12:33 PM
this has nothing to do with this post but what kind of boat do you have? My maurauder needs some dash upgrade. Have you done anything like that to your boat?? If so what did you use and some pics would be sweet. I am also looking to replace my floor and stringers but not sure if I am going to do it my self or take it to a guy in Tennessee. Thanks for anyinout and your help so far.

selle92
07-20-2006, 12:43 PM
saw your post on the dash.

I have a '91 Mariah open bow/PCM 351.

I haven't done anything to the dash (other than recently replacing the key'd ingnition switch)... and just a wipedown with 303 that was suggested. Would like to take my gauges out at some point and repaint with some black as a few are chipping and starting to look worn.

I have seen pictures of some dashes redone on the older supras. Most notible (but can't find the pics now) just replacing of the gauges and/or repainting the rings or "bling"ing them out.. saw one that had gold rings around each gauge... Mmmm ok.

I would think you could probably change out each pushin switch to another kind of switch as long as it works in the same manner. Though, it might be alot of work if a toggle type switch or something else had a bigger/different size mounting. I think it can be done pretty easily, but will take time as you will probably have to take off the dash pannel itself and redo that so they all fit correctly. (sounds like a winter project)

I'll see if I can find some of those photos I mentioned. Can't remember where I saw them..

selle92
07-20-2006, 12:50 PM
PS.

My stringers are good, however- I'm starting to get a few soft spots in the floor. One board that is getting soft- is right behind the engine.. easy fix. Its in the middle of two others and is a separate peice.

other soft spot is just infront of the pylon.. not as easy as the carpet doesn't separate there- and don't know if it's a separate peice of wood.

But, If you have the time, replacement isn't too hard from what I've heard. If you take the time, you can actually peel off/back the carpet, replace the board, and reattach the carpet... well, if you carpet is still in good condition.
I think if you can get a marine grade wood/and then even seal it more- it would work just fine.

What does the dealer charge for that repair? Might be worth your time.. or maybe better to just bring it in.

I will probably tackle this next winter before it get worse. But fine for this summer.

Ironcross25
07-20-2006, 12:54 PM
thanks I get some pics of my boat up here once I figure out how to post pictures.

selle92
07-20-2006, 12:56 PM
saw your post on the dash.

I have a '91 Mariah open bow/PCM 351.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2121573310

I haven't done anything to the dash (other than recently replacing the key'd ingnition switch)... and just a wipedown with 303 that was suggested. Would like to take my gauges out at some point and repaint with some black as a few are chipping and starting to look worn.

I have seen pictures of some dashes redone on the older supras. Most notible (but can't find the pics now) just replacing of the gauges and/or repainting the rings or "bling"ing them out.. saw one that had gold rings around each gauge... Mmmm ok.

I would think you could probably change out each pushin switch to another kind of switch as long as it works in the same manner. Though, it might be alot of work if a toggle type switch or something else had a bigger/different size mounting. I think it can be done pretty easily, but will take time as you will probably have to take off the dash pannel itself and redo that so they all fit correctly. (sounds like a winter project)

I'll see if I can find some of those photos I mentioned. Can't remember where I saw them..

selle92
07-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Oops.. don't know why that posted twice.

can shoot me pics (if you have some) thru email.. and I can post em.

joe Dot selle @ wellsfargo dot Com

Ironcross25
07-21-2006, 07:53 AM
I was reffered to a guy in Tennessee from Anthony at skiers choice. He said $4200 out the door with new carpet. He actually takes the boat in hallf at the rub rail completly guts it lets it dry out then puts the stringers in a little different way then they did back then so they dont rot as easy. I have heard all good things about this guy. Some guy told me $500 or so to DIY But spendeing the extra coin may be worth it in the long run knowing its done right. I live in Ohio and all the marinas here want atleast $5000 on up. I plan on making a descision by the end of next summer b/c I will be in Tennessee at Dale Hollow lake so I can just Drop it off after. I have another season before I need to get it done but could go a little longer since its garage kept in winter and dosnt sit in water all the time. I will get some pics so You can post them. How do you get the pic by you name??

selle92
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
At the top of the forum, go into "my Home".

in there, there are options to update your info and add a URL for your avatar.