PDA

View Full Version : sunsport or saltare for vdrive conversion?

villain
06-07-2013, 07:12 PM
ok, so with my new job as a tech at the tige dealer i have access to a 2012 tige z3 so my bayliner 2050 has to go. just cant do it anymore. its hard to take a decent bayliner out when i can take a bad ass new tige out.
do you think now would be a good time to take advantage of my "free" use of a boat and restore one of my dream boats?
which one would be better to convert to a vdrive? A sunsport or the saltare? (personally i really dont care as we only go out with a couple people and have a diesel excursion for a tow pig).
which one has the better surf wave as a DD?
would anyone be willing to get me measurements from the transom to the prop shaft packing?
restoring a supra has been one of my dreams for a few years now and if im going to re-floor and re-stringer a supra, why not make it as bad ass as i can? now whats all your thoughts on it?

2500HD
06-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Both are excellent choices but which one would be better could be debated forever. I would have to say i would go with the saltare just because it would offer up more room.

dirtydawg
06-08-2013, 01:32 AM
I just completely restored a sunsport, I love it but I wish it had been a saltare for the room and probably smoother in rough water. The only drawback that I can think of would be the extra weight and size would consume more fuel...ouch.

Ptownkid
06-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Yes, bigger will consume more fuel...but it will also make a bigger wake. Isn't that what most of us want from a non-comp Supra?

villain
06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
besides the obvious of it consuming more fuel, is there a downside to the salt?
what i really need to know is the distance from the transom to the packing on both the saltare and the sunsport. the biggest concern is if i would have to re drill and glass the prop shaft hole on either one of them. need the measurements to compare to other vdrive boats that are coming through the shop. trying to flip the hull on a saltare, or even a sunsport to get the prop shaft aligned would be one hell of a task.

jasun
06-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I have ~49" from the transom to the nut on my Salt.

villain
06-08-2013, 02:32 PM
kewl, thanks jasun!!

villain
06-13-2013, 11:28 PM
OK, so i got thinking about the project that i want to do. i only have a 22' deep garage. can you guys give me the measurement of the boats with the platform off? don't need to fit the trailer in as we have boat dolly's for the boat to sit on supported. thinking i might be limited to doing a sunsport just due to a garage size limitation. would love to be able to do it at the shop at work, but as of right now we are limited to 3 bays. if im able to get a saltare in diagonally i will keep looking for a tired saltare, if not there is a sunsport in Arizona that "runs but hasn't ran in 2 years" that i might be able to pick up for about $1500. That is if i can get the chick to send me some pics. from what i hear it needs the interior redone, the floor is solid, motor and trans runs good, it is on a trailer that needs some work, and has the teak platform. This is what i here from a friend of a co-worker. all im really concerned with is that the gell is in good condition and all the pieces are there. if im planning a complete rebuild of an older supra, what else should i be looking for?

jasun
06-14-2013, 08:04 AM
I built a 16x24 building...
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/boat%20rebuild/d6d4b72b-b15d-4d00-9f8a-4ddd97dffb00_zpsb036d37a.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/boat%20rebuild/d6d4b72b-b15d-4d00-9f8a-4ddd97dffb00_zpsb036d37a.jpg.html)

And my Salt doesnt fit.

I can tell you the boat without swim platform is all of 22' 10" -23'.
I can get it in there and close the door down over the front of the nose with about 1" to spare. I had to put the redneck door on there for the front of the trailer.

villain
06-14-2013, 08:32 AM
my hoa would have a field day if i put a tarp over my garage door. i wish i had the room to build a bigger shop behind the house, but with only a 1/5th of an acre, there is no room. damn hoa's. i knew i should of bought the older house with the shop. but we (she) wanted something newer....