PDA

View Full Version : Comp over heating

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Took boat out and noticed the temp was climbing up to 180+ . Shut it down, pulled intake hose from trans cooler and blew in it. No trash sucked in bottom of boat, clean line.
Next I pulled the outlet side hose of the water pump off. Started the motor and no water was shooting up. The impeller was just replaced and I could see it turning but no water.
Last I took the hose off the intake side of the water pump and blew in it. . It seemed clear but wasent the easiest to blow air threw . Has anyone ever experienced this issue? Could the trans cooler be bad or have dirt in it and not letting a good flow of water threw?

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Boat normally runs no higher than 160 deg.

Jetlink
06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Was this the first time out running it since the impeller was replaced?

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes. Could it be possible that the impeller is wrong or installed backwards? I called the boat mechanic who ordered and installed it and he's saying there's only one way they go in...

Salty87
06-09-2013, 12:31 PM
the impeller can go in either direction but the intake hose needs to go on the correct side of the pump housing or the impeller will try to draw water out of the block instead of the lake.

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
The intake hose never got re routed. All hoses are in the correct spot. Had no problems what so ever until the impeller was installed.

Jetlink
06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
There is only one way the impeller goes in the housing, however if the whole assembly is installed 180 degrees off, the pump rotation is indeed backwards. When looking at the pump from the front of the block, the water lines need to be closest to the center of the block. Please take a few pics of the pump from various angles or sides and post them up here and one of us should be able to tell you if your pump is at least installed correctly.

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 12:35 PM
The pump was not replaced.... That's what I'm getting at. Nothing was changed but the impeller, boat is in storage. Ill get a few pics when I go by there.

Salty87
06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
he didn't take the pump off? i've never tried leaving it on to change the impeller. that looks like a real pain in the butt.

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Not saying he didn't take it off etc. but it's all bk together as before. Ill get pics. Pumps on the motor and the hoses are installed just like before. Could there possibly be trash etc in the trans cooler and not letting water flow pass it?

Jetlink
06-09-2013, 01:11 PM
You have to physically remove the entire pump from the bracket to remove the three bolts that hold the pump housing together before you can change the impeller. And then, once you install it back in the bracket, you can have it installed backwards, hook up the hoses and it will still look right but it won't function properly. Knock on wood I haven't installed mine backwards yet but plenty of others have and swear that they installed it correctly. After throwing a whole bunch of money and parts at it that don't solve it, they swap the pump orientation and it fixes their problem.

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Ok I see. So you'll be able to tell by pics?

Jetlink
06-09-2013, 01:15 PM
Hopefully, depends on the pics you take. Need to see the top and right side of the pump where the hose comes out the top of the pump housing.

Salty87
06-09-2013, 01:23 PM
swapping the 2 hoses is probably easier than removing the housing and flipping it around. the housing and impeller have nothing to do with the direction of the flow of water. the belt spins the impeller in whatever direction the belt goes. that rotation determines which hose is the intake and which one is the output.

if things ran fine before the impeller change and now don't there's really nothing else that could have happened.

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Called the boat shop which is where the storage is.... He said he changed the suction pump but it's not working correctly the circulating pump on the front where the pulleys are is fine, I asked about the direction he put it back on and he said its on right but he's going to eat right now and take it back off after that to check it out. Frustrating

Cbower83
06-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Salty that was exactly the prob.

Salty87
06-09-2013, 08:34 PM
that's great...nice and easy fix. fingers crossed for no other issues but check those exhaust hoses. they don't last forever and high heat only wears them quicker.