PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Supra 20 sk Worlds

dmarks
06-10-2013, 10:55 AM
Just bought a 2008 Supra Launch SK DD Worlds Edition this weekend....... the boat only had 30 hrs on it......... took it for a test run yesterday..... everything seemed to work properly...... 2 things....... batteries were gving too many amps...... ran it on batt one but still seemed to be drawing too many amps..... also...... there was feedback through the speakers as we ran it....... it is all factory, no
aftermarket upgrades....... came with the kicker amps, speakers and sub. Any ideas on why the batteries are running too many amps and why there is feedback through the speakers?

Thanks

Dmarks

CornRickey
06-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Batterys don't give amps. Components draw amps from them. Your question is a little confusing. If the amp draw is too much for one battery the draw is cut in half when you add another. I'd start with disconnecting all of the stereo components from the batteries and start checking draw from there.

dmarks
06-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I'm confused myself........ my info screen said the tolerance was 11.5-15.5 (volts? amps?) and its was showing 16 and then started flashing that it was above tolerance....... connections look good..... no corrosion...... probably a ground problem with the feedback...... still worried about battery issue though and the nearest Supra dealer is 90 miles away......

It seemed like if I ran both batteries it was giving too much power...and if I ran with one it wasnt enough....... not sure.

Salty87
06-10-2013, 01:34 PM
do you have a voltmeter? if so, test the output from the alternator...that's what is creating the volts. you'll need to rev the rpm's to do so. you'll need water to the engine if you're on a trailer.

dmarks
06-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I was told it may be the voltage regulator or the alternator...... being that it sat up for so long , that sounds possible. I figure I will get a new alternator, 2 new batteries and do a hard check on the wiring ........ oil has been changed and both oil and fuel filters are clean. Thanks for the help........

Salty87
06-10-2013, 02:41 PM
find an electrical shop. they can most likely fix it for cheaper than a new one. they will test it first.

CornRickey
06-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Most gauges show volts not amps. They are two different things. Dont throw parts at it. Take the alt to a shop and have it tested along with the battery.

dmarks
06-13-2013, 06:46 PM
problem fixed!!! new alt, batteries and fixed a couple of grounds...good as new thanks!