PDA

View Full Version : Steering cable possible helm change

Cusefan78
06-11-2013, 08:08 AM
I have 95 labrisa my steering is pretty stiff. I'm going to change out the cable this weekend I'm wondering if I should also change the helm while I'm at it. There is about an inch of play to the right but nothing to the left. Could this be cause of the stiff cable or is my helm had. Lastly how bad of a job is this. Heard just unhook the cable and pull the new one through but the helm if I change it is going to be a nightmare ?

sybrmike
06-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Both are pretty easy jobs. Be careful when you pull the cable end from the helm - it'll be a greasy mess. Hard to say if the helm is bad, but a new one may have a different mounting bolt pattern (mine did) - but no big deal.

Either way, you'll need to realign the rudder to the steering with a new cable. After the new cable is installed in the helm, find the center lock-to-lock & hold it in place. Align the rudder straight & attach the aft end of the cable to the tiller arm. Finally, tighten the clamp block (the ball & socket mount that attaches the aft cable end to a stringer/strut support/etc.) once the helm is centered and rudder is straight to lock everything in place. Good luck.

Cusefan78
06-11-2013, 03:19 PM
The wheel moves freely but it's stiff the only reason I felt I may need to replace the helm is cause there is a little bit of play in one direction. Could that be cause the cable is stiff and its flexing the cable when I turn to the left. When turning I can't feel it catching or binding. I just don't want to get into pulling the wheel if I don't have to.

villain
06-11-2013, 08:42 PM
9 times out of 10 a badly worn cable will cause that. i bet that if you replace your steering cable that it will fix your problem. the cable is the hard part, if the problem still exists after changing cable, its easy to change the helm.

Cusefan78
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks guys. I'm going to order the cable in the morning.

Cusefan78
06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
So I ordered the cable today from iboats. Got the cable with 2 day delivery for $100. They are running a special this month on cables and they were by far the best price. Skidim had it for 150 and supra had it for 212.