PDA

View Full Version : 88 comp steering

Cbower83
06-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Not sure if these boats are just designed this way but. If I'm cruising on the lake and let go of the wheel my boat will turn hard to the right. Steering the boat to the right is super easy but steering to the left is pretty tuff . Is there any adjustments I can make to fix this issue? My prop is not in perfect condition, it has small bent pieces on 2 of the prop ears etc. so I feel a lil vibration as I'm driving. Could the prob be causing this issue? Thanks!

Cbower83
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
No advice?! Lol

Jetlink
06-11-2013, 05:12 PM
The older rudders are not able to be trimmed or tuned. It's possible your rudder got bent a little and that is why it pulls to one side. The vibration is probably your prop.

villain
06-11-2013, 08:30 PM
i would have to agree with jet. its also one of the characteristics of not having power steering.

Cbower83
06-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Gotcha. Ill check the rudder and get the prop fixed. Thanks

Salty87
06-11-2013, 09:22 PM
you should be able to go with 1 finger in either direction. there should also be some constant prop torque but nothing sudden or dramatic. is steering stiff on the trailer/out of the water?...you can disconnect the steering cable at the tiller arm in the back of the bilge to isolate a bent rudder shaft vs cable issue.

what prop do you have? new cnc prop is one of the most noticeable performance changes you can make.

Cbower83
06-11-2013, 09:27 PM
It's easy on the trailer, I have no clue on the prop. That's the next thing I'm going to look into. What pitch model etc. is the prob your taking about?

Cbower83
06-11-2013, 10:16 PM
With the right prop, around what range should the top speed and the rpm be with a full tank of gas and 1 person in the boat ?

Jetlink
06-11-2013, 10:56 PM
With the right prop, around what range should the top speed and the rpm be with a full tank of gas and 1 person in the boat ?

Loaded question with too many variables.

Hagman
06-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Is this a new problem? A ruff check for a bent rudder is to look at distance between the rudder and the bottom of the boat front and back it should be the same. If your boats last owner used it to go through a ski course he may have tuned in more torque by filling the back edge of the rudder slightly. More torque makes it easer to stay on track going through a course. You can try tuning out the torque by filing the other side of the rudder. If you try this only strike the rudder NO more than twice at a time a little dose a lot .
If you file the right side of the back of the rudder will get pull to the right & versa. A note, the faster you go the more the more torque you should have so check your tune @ the same speed every time. I like to cruse at 28mph so I have mine is tuned to neutral at that speed. @ 34mph there is a slight pull to the right @ below 28 there is a slight pull to the left. Most boat are set up with some torque to compensate for the slack it the steering system. Take a file with you next time out and get wet.

Cbower83
06-12-2013, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure if its a new prob or not. Recently bought the boat. Ill look at that. a co worker of mine had a comp and he's saying his boat went 45-50 mph with no issue. Mine will not do that. IMO 45-50 seems too much for a comp.? Thanks for the help !

Hagman
06-12-2013, 09:44 AM
Back in 88 your color scheme was used by by the local dealers in the NW as tournament promo boats and sold @ the end of the year as demos. 50 is stretching it just a little. A comp set up for skiing 42-44 is the norm. a lot depends on where and how much weight is on board ,cavitation plate it tuning. At about 40 the nose drops into the water. To go fast you need 4 blonds in the back set & a full tank of fuel.

Cbower83
06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Lol right on. Well blondes are covered

Cbower83
06-13-2013, 09:15 PM
you should be able to go with 1 finger in either direction. there should also be some constant prop torque but nothing sudden or dramatic. is steering stiff on the trailer/out of the water?...you can disconnect the steering cable at the tiller arm in the back of the bilge to isolate a bent rudder shaft vs cable issue.

what prop do you have? new cnc prop is one of the most noticeable performance changes you can make.

Where's the best place to get this new cnc prop? Is there a model number etc? 1229512296

There's mine 😳

Also... Why would I have oil here? ATTACH]12297[/ATTACH]

Salty87
06-13-2013, 10:39 PM
wow, i think the blades on my lawnmower look better, lol. you're gonna be in for a world of difference with a new prop. i like to keep it local and nettles prop shop is in austin. acme marine is also very helpful.

oil on the strut...i'd imagine that prop is sending some serious vibration to the transmission. could be some tranny fluid running down the shaft as a result. just a guess, i've never seen that before.

Cbower83
06-13-2013, 11:02 PM
LOL yeah it's horrible. Ok I'll call those places. There's a place called b&b propeller in Fort Worth that restores them for 100$. But I'm not even sure this prop is the right one for the boat.