PDA

View Full Version : 1991 Sunsport Propshaft alignment

kreed57
06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Hello everyone, I am finally getting to repack my stuffing box on the prop shaft after 23 years. I disconnected the coupler from the
transmission and took the coupler off of the shaft. Then I unclamped the stuffing box and slid all of the parts off the shaft. Now I just have the
shaft going through the hull. I noticed the drive shaft is jammed into the side of the aluminum pipe through the hull. I put a square
on the end of the transmission coupler and it is square to the center of the pipe through the hull but not the drive shaft. Do I need
to loosen the shaft strut and see if I can get it aligned better? How does the shaft strut seal to the hull? It does not seem to
me this shaft should be in a bind. Help:confused:

Salty87
06-12-2013, 09:52 AM
when you see the shaft off center where's the coupler end?...when disconnected, the coupler will make the shaft droop. if it wasn't before, line the coupler back up to the transmission and slip the bolts in w/o the nuts & take another look at the shaft in the log.

the strut has some bolts and sealant. it could be bent. it can be straightened by a prop shop.

docdrs
06-12-2013, 10:53 AM
You didn't have to take it all apart to repack it, are you changing to a dripless? Although you might as well replace your strut bushing now while your at it . Once you freed the coupler the shaft must have torqued to the one side. Check to make sure your shaft is not bent as well

kreed57
06-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. I wanted to replace the hose on the stuffing box because it was so old.The coupler nut had a wire through it instead of cotter pin.
I took the wire out and the nut was loose. I took the nut off and the coupler just came right off. I am going to put the coupler back on and see how
the shaft lines up with the transmission without the seal on. I don't think the shaft is bent, but I will check that again. Do you know what the sealant is for the strut?