PDA

View Full Version : Help!! At the lake. Total power failure!!

wake2wake623
06-13-2013, 11:11 PM
So I have kind of been a lurker here for a while. Reading the forums for help here and there..... they are filled with great information. We have owned a 1989 supra conbrio for about 6 years now. We rented out a house on the lake and we were one day into the trip and she cut out on me.

When we bought the boat, the main power cut off switch/breaker was bad so we switched it out. Today the boat was running and it cut out on me. We smelled some burning and thought maybe it had burned up the switch. Took a look at everything and tried wiring around the switch. Nothing

In the end, on the left hand side, mounted on the wall near there is a plexi glass piece that looks like it had a circuit board and the wiring harness plugged into it. It appears to be burned up. I checked the owners manual diagram and don't see any reference to this piece. I assume that it controlled the warning lights and buzzer under the speedos. Anyone have any insight or a work around so that our trip can go on!!!??? Thanks and your help is greatly appreciated!!

Daniel

Salty87
06-13-2013, 11:18 PM
got a pic?

wake2wake623
06-14-2013, 12:36 AM
12299 I found this picture on here. Its dark out so I cant get a good picture till morning.This is the assembly that I was talking about. I figured it was the buzzer..... But what I don't understand now is why that would have or could have killed the engine. We were underway and we lost all electrical. To me I am suspecting a bad ground? I am at a loss. When I get home I am going to go ahead and redo the dash......it's a disaster under there.

wake2wake623
06-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Ok got it fixed!!! Now I have another question. Is there a voltage regulator? When I have it running now, the voltage meter spikes to around 16v around 500 rpms above idle. It stays at 12 at idle and shoots up from there. Anyone know if that's gonna be a problem. Electricity isn't my strong side.

Salty87
06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
what was the fix?

usually the regulator is part of the alternator but not always. you might give skidim a call to see if they know based on which alternator you have. or, an electrical automotive shop can test and fix it.

16v could cook your battery, radio or other components.

wake2wake623
06-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the help! Its nice to know that's there's still people willing to do that. So here's what happened. The regulator appears to have gone bad. I wasn't paying attention to the gauge when the boat quit. It fried a wire and shorted something causing me to lose all electrical. Found the short and fixed it not realize the real problem was the alternator. Started her and ran it. The boat kicked of after a min or so. Checked the engine breaker. Reset that and had power. Started her up and realized the power was spiking right after idle to 16volts. Hence the shorts and problems. We had our extended family's mastercraft here as well and so we ended up running it lightly with out the alternator. Gotta have it rebuilt or buy a new one

matt k
06-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Ha, I think that might be my picture. IIRC that board controls the warning lights and buzzers, and is known to go bad. Mine is unplugged. All the gauges work fine, but the warning lights and buzzers are dead.