PDA

View Full Version : Problems after switching to electronic ignition

awesomesteven
06-14-2013, 08:23 AM
To preface this, I ordered the electronic ignition before I got it running smoothly.

OK. So I just switched over to electronic ignition (prestolite on an 86 351w). Right before I switched I was running points and had tuned it to run great. Here is the problem I'm have now.

When I start the boat, I have to give it gas or else it'll die(~1500 rpm). I can slowly work it back down to idle (~800 rpm), but it has to be little by little. Once I do have it to idle speed, if I give it gas real quick and then bring it back it'll die out. When I do this with points everything runs fine. All connections are clean/tight.

Is there some kind of tuning I needed to do when I switched over?

awesomesteven
06-14-2013, 08:55 AM
From Mabbore:

No worries! Just a guess here, but where did you ground it the ignition module? was the surface clean? did you put some dielectic grease on it? I grounded mine on the mount for the coil. Is the coil wire clear of other wires that might cause interference with the module? (I routed the ignition harness around the distributor to avoid any interference from coil or plug wires.

The instructions I that were include with the kit said to connect the positive wire from to the (+) post of the coil and the negative wire to the (-) post of the coil. All connections are clean and tight and no other wires in the way.