PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Launch 21 steering becoming tighter with use

jikemones
07-21-2006, 01:22 PM
I have a 2005 Launch 21 with 87 hours. It now takes two hands to turn it. It took one finger to turn it when it was new. Anybody else had this issue?

DKJBama92Mariah
07-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Sounds like the steering cable is on its way out. If water accumulates in the bilge and soaks the cable too many times for too long it'll ruin it.

DKJ

jikemones
07-21-2006, 02:08 PM
Thanks, water shouldn't be an issue. The boat is kept on a lift with a canopy and is always dry. (I'm very picky and make sure that the boat is cleaned after every use. Inside and out including the bilge)

jikemones
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Thanks, water shouldn't be an issue. The boat is kept on a lift with a canopy and is always dry. (I'm very picky and make sure that the boat is cleaned after every use. Inside and out including the bilge)

DKJBama92Mariah
07-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Still sounds like the cable. I just brought the water up as a possible cause. To test, disconnect the cable from the tiller arm a the rudder. Then try turning the wheel. If it still feels the same, then its the cable. If not, then its at the rudder box. An '05 should have a zerk fitting to grease the rudder shaft. That should help; its good preventative maintenance to grease it anyway.

DKJ

360degrees
05-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I have the same problem. I have a 2003 Supra Launch. Bought it new in APril of 2004. I have 155 hrs on the boat. everything is in top notch shape. But I cannot steer the boat without using both hands and a good bit of strain.

I talked to two service shops and they indicate that if water in the bildge area gets to where the cable slides in and out of the sleeve, the steering starts to freeze up. Both shops indicate that they have been changing the steering cable on several of these boat with this type steering.

I called Skiers choice to see if they would cover this as a warranty item. I know I am out of warranty, but the steering should last longer than 155 hours and the cable should be able to get wet!! They told me no. They could have at least offered to give me the $129.00 part and let me pay for the labor to install. That would of insured that my next boat would again be a Skiers Choice.

This boat is my third Skiers CHoice boat. I have had a 1996 Boomerang (loved it and wish I still had it), a 2001 Mobius, and now the Supra. I never needed a warranty item before so this kind rubs me the wrong way.

They know and thier dealerships know that this steering cable is defective. They should step up.

DKJBama92Mariah
05-21-2007, 04:32 PM

As much as i hate to say it and you dont want to hear it, the steering cable is just a wear/routine maintenance part. Pretty much any ski boat made is gonna use a standard teleflex cable. Unfortunately, it they get water in them, they can corrode.

How long is the warranty on the new ones anyways? I havent used the words warranty and boat in the same sentence in 14 years.

H2Oman
05-22-2007, 07:21 PM
There is a fitting for grease at the top of the rudder. Just ensure it is maintained. The steering cables go out on all boats with out fully sealed, electric or elevated systems. It just happens over time and yes water makes it happen faster. No biggie, it is just a maintenance item on a boat.

If you need tips on how to replace it yourself there is a ton of knowledge on this forum to help you out. Good luck.

jikemones
07-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks, for the advice everyone. I've had a new cable and the rudder bushing replaced. Still seams to steer tight. Hopefully it will loosen up with use. (still takes two hands to turn) Skiers Choice says I'm out of warranty so i guess I'm on my own. I have a friend with an 04 Launch with all of the original compnents and it steers with one finger at any speed.

Supra-Steve
07-02-2007, 05:26 PM
This is a really great post for me to see, b/c i've had this very same issue w/ mine since i got it. I've got approx. 3.5 months left on my extended warranty and would love to get this issue resolved before it expires. I've already had the cable replaced (so the dealer said) approx. a year ago. That never fixed the issue.

Its quite frustrating b/c when I've been the driver of other friends boats, Malibu's and SAN, you can steer right or left easily w/ 1 finger. So why do i feel have to put my gym clothes on and go for a work out when driving my boat?

Does anyone w/ a newer model 21v have these problems?

Can someone from S.C. please respond so I know how to deal w/ this....

Supra-Steve
07-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Who is the manufacturer of the rudders on the supra 21v's??

jikemones
10-02-2007, 09:43 PM
So after replacing the cable, rudder bushing, lubing the zerk fitting, and using the boat all summer (to see if it would loosen up) my two handed steering issue continues. It's becoming very frustrating, the boat is a 2005 with 160 hours. All the work was done by a professional at my local dealership (which is awesome dealer and has been very helpful). Anybody have any other suggestions before I have them change the steering linkage and install a new rudder?

ACF
10-03-2007, 08:54 AM
The steering wheel has to have some kind of bearing or bushing, maybe it got corroded, dried out, or otherwise just went bad. Machined parts are not always exact. What if the rudder shaft is little oversized making a tight fit within the bushings ? If so, it may work okay when a brand new, clean, freshly lubricated, bushing is installed, but not have enought clearance for any dirt, or even the metal particles produced in normal wear. So, even though it has been replaced once, check disconnected rudder movement again. I would start at the rudder, and work my way forward, disconnecting and maunally moving each component until I found something that didn't move right.

Supra-Steve
10-07-2007, 04:44 PM
So after replacing the cable, rudder bushing, lubing the zerk fitting, and using the boat all summer (to see if it would loosen up) my two handed steering issue continues. It's becoming very frustrating, the boat is a 2005 with 160 hours. All the work was done by a professional at my local dealership (which is awesome dealer and has been very helpful). Anybody have any other suggestions before I have them change the steering linkage and install a new rudder?

I've pretty much had the same thing replaced on mine, and mind you, when moving at speeds of prolly 15mph or more, the steering is fine, but man is it tough to move/steer at any MPH between 1-15.

Is it very well possible that the steering wheel and harness be bad??

scootn112
05-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a 2003 Supra Launch 21 with the same issues of very tight steering. I'd like to replace the steering cable myself but I can't figure out how to get back to where it connects to the rudder. This boat has a straight shaft and the ski locker is above the rudder. Also there is a ballast tank under the back seat.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get to the spot where the steering cable connects to the rudder?

Thanks!

hunter05
06-04-2008, 02:43 AM
You need to have your dealer check the rudder alignment. I had the same problem and Supra had the dealer check the alignment in relation to the propeller. They made some adjustment and the problem went away. If you still have the problem its worth a shot. Good luck.

jrh1010
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
I am with scootn112. How do you get to where it connects to the rudder? Take out the gas tank I assume would be the easiest and probably what is necessary. Also, is there any other piece necessary besides the cable. I have a 99 Launch DD.

claysimmons
03-09-2014, 03:06 PM
Despite all the posts that says replacing a steering cable is easy, it's really not; especially on the direct drives with rear ballast tanks under the seat. In this order, you must:

1) remove the access panel against the rear seat within the rear ski locker. This will reveal 2 screws on each side of the rear seat cushion to remove.
2) remove the speakers and feel for 3 bolts on each side within the gunnel used to remove the rear seat cushion.
3) unclip rear sundeck support stabilizers
4) remove rear seat and sundeck
5) disconnect 2 fill hoses above ballast tank and one drain hose below and lift ballast out
6) remove motor box
7) remove access floor above drive shaft
8) unbolt steering cable from support mount and disconnect from rudder
9) disconnect rack from steering wheel
10) attach rope and pull cable up from dash area.

This is where I am stuck. The steering cable has a long rod attached to the end connected to the rudder. Anyone know how to feed that through the access hole under the dash? Picture of my access hole and steering cable is attached. I don't see how it's possible to pull that shaft/nut end up through such a tight area. I can see it working hack sawing this end off, but then how do you plan putting the new one through there? There seems to be too many wires and hoses to accommodate the space required to fish that rod end of the steering cable through.

CJD
03-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Can you tape the new to the old as you pull it through? Use the old cable as your fish...

jasun
03-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Why don't you post a new thread instead of posting the same question on 3 different threads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk