PDA

View Full Version : Wax?

dmarks
06-14-2013, 02:43 PM
My 08 Supra 20 worlds paint is a little dull from sun exposure....... any recommendations on a good wax to bring it back to life?

Thanks

CornRickey
06-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Dull from oxidation? If so don't put wax on it. You need to rub it out with a compound. If its dull not from oxidation I recommend Meguirs fine compound then ultra polish then wax.

supraaddict
06-15-2013, 12:40 AM
See the thread I just posted on my 04 that I wet-sanded and buffed and what I used:

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15017-She-s-Naked!

wax
06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Speaking of wax...lol.

This is good info, I'm going to let the guy know that bought my 2000 Launch. The blue under the water line is really faded, but had been like that since I bought it over 6 years ago.

Just as my 2 cents, I tried all sorts of wax and buffing, it never did anything so it's not worth trying IMO

supraaddict
06-15-2013, 11:56 PM
waxing is different than wet-sanding. Wet-sanding gel coat will remove most scratches and oxidization if done correctly (With the right products).

CornRickey
06-16-2013, 02:09 AM
I wouldn't go with wet sanding prior to trying a regiment of rubbing compounds. Heavy to light then polish then wax. Your going to be doing this anyways with wet sanding if done right so you might as well try to skip the coarse stuff. Plus your saving potentialy savable gelcoat and your not having to strip the stickers it done carefully. Your going to have to use a quality orbiting buffer or circular. Circular is prefered but you have to pay attention. I use a duel 6" orbitting system by Cyclo. Its the Cadillac of buffers but its worth it. You shoukdnt skip step between though. Its like sanding wood. You don't start with 80 and then go to 220. Sam with wetsanding and compounds. Good luck!