PDA

View Full Version : power loss on every thing

The boy
06-16-2013, 10:51 PM
okay so Saturday i was out on the lake and we used the boat all day with out a problem and in the latter afternoon we were driving around and the hole boat just shut off we let it sit and it turned one and as we got under way for like 10 feet it did it again and i am thinking alternator but i want to be sure it is an 1989 sunsport

CornRickey
06-19-2013, 04:14 AM
I can't think of a reason a alt would shut down a boat. When they go bad they start allowing the battery to discharge. Once the battery gets discharged to a point the elec. Ignition would shutdown and you wouldn't be able to start it again. I'm thinking bad ground on the block or bad connection in the harness.

michael hunter
06-19-2013, 07:33 AM
What do you mean by the whole boat shut down? Did you have power to anything ?

DAFF
06-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Check the hardness of the casing on the cables. By bending them they should feel plyable and no cracking internally. If so replace them. I have seen many which look good on the ends but are rotten in the centre from soaking in water over time. My guess is there is a slight continuity issue on a ground or positive near the battery or block. This will be an EZ fix, just a little time consuming.