PDA

View Full Version : audio gurus please help

dirtydawg
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
does anyone know what causes speakers to hiss. sounds like air blowing. can only here it between songs or if volume is real low. the noise is constant but music normally drowns it out.

Wylietunes
06-21-2013, 01:47 AM
If it does it with and without the engine running, the leading cause is having the amp gains too high.

awolfinwater
06-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Does it vary based on engine RPM? May be hard to tell if it is drowned out. My first thought is that you may have a ground issue, ensure the connection is clean and in tact from the amp.

Second thought is that if the rca's to the amp are run directly next to the power cable, that could do it. This is much more common in auto, not so much boats because of battery placement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dirtydawg
06-21-2013, 09:40 PM
at first I had alot of engine noise so I ran a dedicated power and ground for audio straight from battery. That is now fixed but this noise comes through with or without engine running. I think Wylie might be right because I didnt adjust my amps. just installed them right out of the box. Amps are new to me...

Wylietunes
06-21-2013, 09:54 PM
at first I had alot of engine noise so I ran a dedicated power and ground for audio straight from battery. That is now fixed but this noise comes through with or without engine running. I think Wylie might be right because I didnt adjust my amps. just installed them right out of the box. Amps are new to me...

Its very common for amps to come from the manufacturer with the gains wide open from their in-house bench testing. There are a handful of settings that need to be set correctly when installing an amp, gains being one of them.

dirtydawg
06-21-2013, 10:21 PM
thanks, I need to dig out the instructions and see how they adjust. they were cheap JBL's but I know there are some adjustments on them