PDA

View Full Version : 88 ts6

88 Upra
06-24-2013, 07:36 AM
This spring I purchased a older (1988) TS6M and am finding out some maintenace issues I need to tend to. I am a first time Supra owner so you will see me on this site often. First and most important I believe I need a new steering assy. Out of the water steering is fairly easy to turn. when driving steers hard to the right and easy to the left??? The black drum under the dash has started to spin slightly when wheel is turned..Would this be the cable? The wheel is weathered and I may just go for the entire unit...Where would I get the best deal and how much would I expect to pay or is there another fix for the existing?

jtomasik
06-24-2013, 12:43 PM
You're feeling the prop wash against the rudder, which feels different due to prop rotation. Mine feels the same. It might improve with a cable replacement. Without quantifying how hard it is to steer, it's a tough call. It doesn't bother me too much. I've simply learned to live with it. My bigger concern is getting a big enough wake without sinking the boat....lol.

88 Upra
06-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the info...Does your cable drum assy. turn a little with the wheel?

88 Upra
06-24-2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info...Does your cable drum assy. turn a little with the wheel? Not sure if this is the correct way to reply on the site.

DAFF
06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
The rudder might be slightly bent and out of alignment, or the bushing is loose on the hull side of the boat.

TitanTn
06-25-2013, 07:53 PM
I would say yes, that the assembly will likely twist slightly when you change directions with the wheel. I know mine twitches when I turn.

88 Upra
07-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Thanks....is there a set up to make the steering more like power steering?....

Jetlink
07-17-2013, 09:03 PM
New cable will make it as good if not better than power steering.

TitanTn
07-19-2013, 10:37 AM
New cable will make it as good if not better than power steering.

Amen to that. I drove Ngavdba's boat at the Southern Supra Reunion and I didn't realize how much I'd like to change my cable before that. I kept saying how it felt like power steering. That's certainly something I'm planning to do this winter.