PDA

View Full Version : What boat did this come from?

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 03:08 PM
And how do you remove it? 12 pack of beer to the person who can help figure out how to get this sucker out so I can replace the cable and get back on the water. Bonus bragging points if you can name a boat manufacturer that used this type of control.

haugy
06-24-2013, 03:13 PM
I found this image for Correct Crafts (ignore the green).

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m46/blondiegurl1443/other/greennob.jpg

This one from MasterCraft saying it's a Morse MV1

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=86943&stc=1&d=1353958462

So it's likely Supra used this other style as well.

jasun
06-24-2013, 03:34 PM
can you take a side picture of it?

Salty87
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
moving the lever to a certain position should line things up with the hole. try forward about half way (can't remember if neutral helps or not so give that a try if in gear doesn't do it). you may have to pull and slide the base to the stern a bit at the same time.

wotan2525
06-24-2013, 03:42 PM
I've got the same one. Some wiggling, some jiggling and some futzing with the forward/reverse action should allow you to wiggle it free. It's a PITA.

haugy
06-24-2013, 03:58 PM
can you take a side picture of it?

He sent me a picture via text. The pictures I posted are exactly like it. They aren't like mine where the whole thing is square.

Wotan did yours have that backing plate on it? He says he can hear fiberglass cracking when he really pries on it.

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
Yeah, if I really exert any more force on it, I'll probably be doing fiberglass repairs. I've tried every possible throttle position to remove this bugger! I'm now two solid days at this and this is all the progress I have.

Salty87
06-24-2013, 04:49 PM
have you tried finding a position while it's in gear and while the neutral pin is pulled (i'd bet in gear vs neutral will be the ticket)? i don't think you'd find one that's totally lined up with the hole. there will still be some finagling involved...pulling the rear of the unit away from the wall while sliding it to the stern.

once you get it...do your best to remember what the trick was since you're have to repeat it in reverse to reinstall.

if you have time to search the trick has been posted before but i can't remember who had it.

mabbore
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah, if I really exert any more force on it, I'll probably be doing fiberglass repairs. I've tried every possible throttle position to remove this bugger! I'm now two solid days at this and this is all the progress I have.

I had to service mine last summer by cleaning it and greasing it up. Mine has a set screw on the handle that allows you to remove the handle. Then the black face plate comes off, from there you can remove the mechanism.

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Salty, I've tried every throttle position both in gear and neutral as much as possible. I've also searched the forums for the thread, found it and started there yesterday. The back of this morse control goes forward from the the control another 4 inches or so. I can't even get it close to flush to get it out and I can't get the linkage disconnected from the control so I can at least pull the cable and run a new one and fix the problem. It's frustrating because after two solid days of playing and working on this I'm no farther along than removing the three screws that hold the morse control to the fiberglass and am looking at spending at least $400 to have the dealer go gang busters on it this week.

TitanTn
06-24-2013, 06:12 PM
In looking at the pics behind the fiberglass wall, there seems to be a piece of plywood between the cable mechanism and the fiberglass. Mine didn't have that. I know it's not much, but see if you can figure out the role of that plywood and how to get the mechanism detached from that.

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 06:19 PM
The mechanism isn't attached to the plywood at all. The plywood is attached to the back of the fiberglass. If I could get the plywood out of there I might be able to snake this control out finally. But I'm betting that wood is glued to the fiberglass and not going to part easily.

wotan2525
06-24-2013, 06:19 PM
Mine does have the control bracket the same way. In order to get mine out, I need to (while in neutral) push the lever to about 45degrees. Then I need to pull out on the back side of the control and slide it back. Once it gets into this position I think I need to pry the bottom end of it out first and then can wiggle the top control arm free.

The hole that mine is mounted in is a pretty awkward shape. I can't promise it wasn't broken at some point -- except that they didn't build your boat around the controls. They installed the controls at some point.

The trickiest part of the entire operation is to get backing nuts on the mounting bolts when it goes back in. You really need to use your bendy arms and lots of patience.

michael hunter
06-24-2013, 09:12 PM
On the CorrectCraftFan forum in the reference section there is a copy of the owners/installation manual maybe that will help.

DAFF
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I had to service mine last summer by cleaning it and greasing it up. Mine has a set screw on the handle that allows you to remove the handle. Then the black face plate comes off, from there you can remove the mechanism.

I can see the set screw on the first pic. Removing it is the first step into this riddle. Remember things are always built in this era to come apart without much prying or effort.

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 11:09 PM
I can see the set screw on the first pic. Removing it is the first step into this riddle. Remember things are always built in this era to come apart without much prying or effort.

Removed set screw, got me to this point.

Michael, I'll check it out and thanks for digging.

Daff, I totally understand what you're saying but I have a sneaky suspicion that this isn't the original morse control to this boat. And looking at the opening that I have to try and get this out of leads me to believe that they had to pry it in there which is easier than having to pry it out.

DAFF
06-24-2013, 11:41 PM
I wonder if you were to remove the linkage from the opposite end (engine area) if this would create more space. You could pull the entire shifter out including the cables. I bet there is some bolts on the back side of the backing plate which hold on the black beauty cover which is acessable with a little more wiggle room..

Jetlink
06-24-2013, 11:44 PM
I had both the transmission linkage and the throttle linkage removed as well as plenty of slack in the routing of the control cables. I'm truly and utterly stumped on this one because as I see it, I have everything loose and undone and it is still stubborn and not wanting to budge.

TitanTn
06-25-2013, 07:16 AM
I don't know if it'll help you at all, but here's a pic of the back of my shifter after I pulled it out. I wonder if someone 5200'd yours in place?

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/back_shifter.jpg

haugy
06-25-2013, 09:36 AM
I'm telling ya, WD-40, spray silicone, something to see if it helps loosen it enough to slide out. That thing is apparently stock since others here have one. So it's been over 20 years since it's been installed, it's not going to want to let go easily.

DAFF
06-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Somewhere the cables are binding or something is holding it in place. Removing the front cover is not going to get you any further. You can see a nylon nut on Titans back side pic which holds on the black cover. Perhaps you need more surface area in your pry tool to prevent cracking. Personally I think it comes down to pushing the cables towards the bow and prying the shifter out.

Titan when you removed yours was there much resistance??

supra790
06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
I'v taking mine out a few times. It's always a tight squeeze. You probably have better luck if you remove a piece of plywood.

Salty87
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Jetlink- have you ever removed the controller on a Supra before? i'm just curious to see if there's something different about the controller you're working on. and, since nobody can tell...what kind of boat is this?

Jetlink
06-25-2013, 12:56 PM
I'm telling ya, WD-40, spray silicone, something to see if it helps loosen it enough to slide out. That thing is apparently stock since others here have one. So it's been over 20 years since it's been installed, it's not going to want to let go easily.

I thought its more your problem now Haugy...lol

Jetlink
06-25-2013, 12:59 PM
Jetlink- have you ever removed the controller on a Supra before? i'm just curious to see if there's something different about the controller you're working on. and, since nobody can tell...what kind of boat is this?

I've never removed this one before, I have removed a few other morse controllers before and none has ever put up this much of a fight. This particular morse control is still installed on my '86 comp. I ended up admitting defeat and dropped it off last night for service. Even they are having a difficult time getting it out as they have been working at it 3 hours now and it's still in the boat.

TitanTn
06-25-2013, 02:16 PM
Titan when you removed yours was there much resistance??

No, none at all. It's a somewhat tight squeeze, but mine came out in about 5 mins. There's definitely something different about Jetlink's and I'm betting on some 5200 being involved.

haugy
06-25-2013, 02:39 PM
I thought its more your problem now Haugy...lol

That's true. Get that fixed before I pick it up mkay? And should we tell everyone your Comp is now mine? Or is that a secret?

TitanTn
06-25-2013, 03:05 PM
That's true. Get that fixed before I pick it up mkay? And should we tell everyone your Comp is now mine? Or is that a secret?

Yo Haugy, you goofed. This wasn't a PM. ;)

haugy
06-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Awwww crap.

jeff_in_ny
06-26-2013, 01:45 PM
If you're still having trouble with this, here's a thread (http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24751) with lots of pics on a teardown and rebuild of an MV1.