PDA

View Full Version : I need an amp (or amps!)

wotan2525
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM
My 6-pack of Kicker HLCDs is fantastic but I'm asking a little too much out of the amp that is pushing them. It's an older MA Audio Class A/B that is "rated" to do 400x2 into 2ohms stereo. Now -- I seriously doubt that it's putting that much power into them but they do absolutely scream.

What's the problem? Amp overheats. I've got it mounted on stand offs and I even pull out the covers when I'm in the party-cove so that it can get some airflow. After 60-90 minutes in she starts to cut-out, cool off, come on and then cut-off again.

I was thinking of going with a Class D setup but I can't find anything that will run @ 2-ohms. (According to Kicker, the actual load of the 6-packs is more like 2.5ohms per channel.) The 4-channel Class Ds won't bridge down that low (or I can't find any evidence that they will) and the Class D monoblocks are almost all designed for subwoofers.

I know WetSounds and JL both probably make something for me but they are out of my budget. I'm probably looking at $500 MAX for either 1 or 2 amps. I'm OK with used and/or non-marine equipment. I've never run any marine amps in my boat and they've done just fine.

Anyone? Bueller?

Wylietunes
06-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Not many full-range 4 chnl amps are stable below a 4 ohm bridged load. With the 6-Pack setup, we typically run dual amps. Some dual amp options are:
Kicker IX500.4
Kicker KXM400.4
Arc Audio XDi804

These may be over your budget.

A single JL HD750/1 will net 190W to each, but would be over your budget at retail

A couple of 2 chnl amps that would be good choice:
Wet Sounds Syn-2
Arc Audio KS300.2
Wet Sounds HT-2
Kicker IX500.2

wotan2525
06-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks, Michael! How are you setting up the dual amps? All of them that you have listed are 4 channel amps that don't look like they will run in mono?

I don't think it's feasible to rewire my tower so right now I'm limited to things that would run at 2ohms.

Two of these seem like they would work, but it would be at the high end of my budget: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/7406722/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

I'm tempted to try two of these and see if they might work at 2 ohms. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_38336_Precision-Power-PPI-P600.2.html

I don't know if you want to comment on this (I understand it might be bad for business) but it seems like most of the Class D amps are using the same OEMs (or at least the same boards/reference designs.) The ARC/WetSounds/PPI/SoundStream Nano all look the same with the cases off and they all run the Philips chip. It looks like the ARC and WetSounds Class H designs are also the same. I wonder if I can find a lower-tier label that has cribbed that.....

Wylietunes
06-25-2013, 01:38 PM
We bridge a horn/mid to one half of an amp, the other horn/mid to the other half as each is a 4 ohm load. Then bridge the extra mids on the other 4 chnl amp as they are a 4 ohm load.

I do not think that JL is actually a full-range amp. I think the OFF/HP is for using an external x-over for a sub.

With the Kicker 6-Pack and a 2 chnl stereo amp, you would either run 2 ohm per chnl with 3 pods per chnl, or dun dual amps with each chnl @ 4 ohm. No way to run dual stereo amps @ 2 ohm x 2. A mid and horn in parallel is 4 ohm due to the x-over and a mid by itself is 4 ohm.

wotan2525
06-25-2013, 02:09 PM
With the Kicker 6-Pack and a 2 chnl stereo amp, you would either run 2 ohm per chnl with 3 pods per chnl, or dun dual amps with each chnl @ 4 ohm. No way to run dual stereo amps @ 2 ohm x 2. A mid and horn in parallel is 4 ohm due to the x-over and a mid by itself is 4 ohm.

Right. I've got them wired for 2-ohms per channel. I wish I hadn't done this, but it's already done and it's internal in the tower/speaker cans and not easily changed.

I've got 3-pods per channel. (2) 2-ohm loads.

I'm not finding any 2/4 channel amps in a Class D setup that can push 2 ohms.

I am finding mono amps but not many full-range ones. Kicker/JL are really all I'm coming up with. :(

seve22xmen
07-22-2013, 05:55 PM
Right. I've got them wired for 2-ohms per channel. I wish I hadn't done this, but it's already done and it's internal in the tower/speaker cans and not easily changed.

I've got 3-pods per channel. (2) 2-ohm loads.

I'm not finding any 2/4 channel amps in a Class D setup that can push 2 ohms.

I am finding mono amps but not many full-range ones. Kicker/JL are really all I'm coming up with. :(

How about this as an alternative?

http://www.roswellwakeair.com/series_rma/marine_audio_rma_500.4/