PDA

View Full Version : 87 Rider

boomartin09
06-25-2013, 08:07 PM
First post and new to the boating game but the older model supras have caught my eye. I was looking for a boat that I could take a group of friends out with that still was a decent non I/O boat. I didn't want to drop 20+ on a newer model (even with high hours) and thought a project boat would be a decent starting place. I have done cars so the mechanical ability is there and not an issue. I have seen some nice restos so I know its possible. Heres where the experts here come in,

Ive found an 87 Supra Rider, 351W for sale locally. The guy stripped the interior to build a wakesurfing boat (who knows why) so its is basically gone. Engine supposedly ran good, but needs a carb. Being a ford guy this isn't really an issue for me. I am just trying to figure out what I am looking at if I go this route. Ive read about the floor/stringer probs and will check on in. Clean title and I can get the boat for 1200 bucks. Just looking for some more info on how hard building an interior would be.

link to the craigslist ad:
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/boa/3817853748.html

Opinions?

2500HD
06-25-2013, 09:30 PM
well your looking at $2500.00 minimum for new upholstery. bases shouldn't be to hard to build yourself. But i would take a good look at that engine and see if any water has gotten into it through the intake. Check the stringers out and talk him down in price. Then enjoy the project and know that it will be done right if you do it yourself.

DAFF
06-25-2013, 10:27 PM
$1200 sounds like a great deal until you start to re invest back into this boat. Sometimes it is better to spend a little more off the get go and get more bang for your buck. NTM the chocolate colour of the boat would be far less appealing when it is all said and done. Keep your eyes open something better will turn up.

wotan2525
06-25-2013, 10:48 PM
My friend is into older Porsche 911s. He told me once that they are all $30k cars. When I asked him why you can find some for $5k he just said that those are still $30k cars... you just don't know it yet.

That's how I look at this boat. You're going to end up with an $8-$12k boat any way that you slice it.

boomartin09
06-26-2013, 05:10 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. Ill just keep my eyes open for something in better shape. Like I mentioned the engine doesn't scare me but considering the other things needed it just isn't worth it. Thanks for the help

Dustin