PDA

View Full Version : Older Supra boat owners....

jtomasik
06-26-2013, 10:21 AM
...I'm curious, why is there so much 'loyalty' to these older Supra boats? I've only had mine ('86 TS6M) since late last summer (used it twice last season), struggled through a bunch of mechanical issues after taking it out of storage, and got two half-decent days on the lake. I use it for wakeboarding and wake surfing. So far, it doesn't seem to be anything special. It's low and needs a ton of ballast to provide a half decent wake (yeah, I know it was never designed for producing a big wake). About the only positive I've found is that it stays 'flat' over some of the heavier chop/waves (not the biggest....stuff like maybe a foot or so) than my other deep-V hull boat does (surprisingly). Maybe this thing is amazing when pulling a skier (which I imagine it was designed for). So, I'm probably missing exactly why these boats are so well liked.

Again, I'm just curious. I'm not going to bash the boat, because I'm using it for things it likely wasn't designed for. I'm just wondering where the boat 'shines'. I'm going to look for a boat that has more room, is an inboard, and produces a better wake. Not sure what I'll be buying, but I'm pretty sure I'll be selling this boat.

wotan2525
06-26-2013, 10:29 AM
The TS6M was designed and built for 1 purpose -- Slalom skiing. Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

The TS6M is a great handling boat and was the first of a new generation of purpose built slalom boats.

If it's not something that you like, feel free to sell it.

Now if you're asking why some of us others like their older Supras, I bet you'll get a lot of different answers. Why do I love mine? I built it myself and customized/set it up for exactly what I use it for and what I need. It's got a great surf wake, a decent wakeboard wake, lots of room, lots of power, is easy to work on, looks great and serves all my purposes from party-coving to relaxing and drinking a gin and tonic while the sun sets to making a mean wakesurf wake.

2500HD
06-26-2013, 10:42 AM
The TS6M was designed and built for 1 purpose -- Slalom skiing. Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

The TS6M is a great handling boat and was the first of a new generation of purpose built slalom boats.

If it's not something that you like, feel free to sell it.

Now if you're asking why some of us others like their older Supras, I bet you'll get a lot of different answers. Why do I love mine? I built it myself and customized/set it up for exactly what I use it for and what I need. It's got a great surf wake, a decent wakeboard wake, lots of room, lots of power, is easy to work on, looks great and serves all my purposes from party-coving to relaxing and drinking a gin and tonic while the sun sets to making a mean wakesurf wake.
Ditto, I might also add that brand loyalty is something you find across the board when it comes to motorsports. Some guys only like chevy's, I personally like skidoo's for snowmobiling. But the main thing is no matter what brand you have you are having fun. I don't care if its on a supra, Mastercraft or malibu. Just have fun with it.

jtomasik
06-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I'd like to ask you guys to read my post carefully. I say EXACTLY that the boat was built for something different, and all I'm asking is if the boat shines in the areas OTHER than what I'm using it for, because I KNOW I'm using it for something it wasn't designed for.

Jeez. Read carefully, please, before you start throwing stones. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

beat taco
06-26-2013, 12:12 PM
You bought the wrong one, Supra made huge open bow DD boats back then. They have a lot of free board, can take a bunch of people and weight, and make a great crossover boat.

The one you bought does none of the above and has half the free board.

However if you love slalom skiing it is top notch!

Hopefully you do more homework on your next purchase so you won't be in the same situation asking dumb questions on the manufactures website about why you bought something that doesn't suit your needs. Good luck :)

Jetlink
06-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Don't get so bent out of shape, I read your post thoroughly and carefully a few times now and here is my response as a fellow classic Comp owner. It's purpose built for skiing sports whether its just learning to water ski, trick ski, slalom ski, ski jump or the crazy barefoot adventure. None of those sports really require a wake in fact most shy away from it and that is why the hull was designed that way. Wake boarding and wake surfing hadn't even been thought of back when this boat was designed. The Comp shines when the water is flat and your hauling butt on a ski of some sort or popping every blood vessel in your foot as you go bare footing across the lake. It also shines on being one of the more sexy looking ski boats in the water.

Salty87
06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
comps are the race cars of the ski boat world....very fast and maneuverable. the comp was ski boat of the year for several years in the mid to late 80s.

supra's in the 80s were ahead of their time, except for the stringers & floors which weren't made to last forever. the hulls and options available were world class. supra introduced many firsts in the inboard market...playpen bows, the short lived allegro was an inboard ski boat with a cuddy cabin, mariah was first open bow ski boat of the year, sunsport won ski boat of the year...

any boat that takes up more time & money than providing enjoyment is a POS until the kinks get worked out. there are so many loyalists because once the kinks are gone the boats are very low maintenance and the best part...no payments!

michael hunter
06-26-2013, 05:54 PM
The older Supras were designed and built by George Fowler look him up he was a genius way far ahead of his time . There just wasn't anything like the supra back then . He built boats from 24' down to 19' like your comp . If you want to know what is so special about your boat just take it out by yourself on some smooth water and crank the wheel is will respond like it has tracks under it Then break out a slalom ski and head for a course . The comp is a ferrari on water if you let it is a great SKI boat . If you want it to be a wake/surf boat you will probably not be impressed.

Jetlink
06-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Let me guess, you were born in the mid to late eighties?

I think you answered your own question and everyone that wasn't born in the eighties pretty much said it all.

Excuse me? Huh?

Jetlink
06-27-2013, 01:50 AM
Did you not read the title of this thread? It said Older Supra boat owners. Glad you qualify as younger. Don't get your panties in a bunch!!

I'm cool, Comp should be back in the water later today now and I'll be tearing it up as I put her through her paces...

jasun
06-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Did you not read the title of this thread? It said Older Supra boat owners. Glad you qualify as younger. Don't get your panties in a bunch!!

I think he was referring to the age of the boat, not the owner...

jasun
06-27-2013, 09:24 AM
I understood what the poster meant. I flipped it around on him. Owners with older Supra boats would have been the more correct title.
I played the age card because I thought his comments were a bit immature.

got ya...

without bashing the poster too much (though he was asking for a lashing), I would say more research should have been done.

I didnt do near enough when I bought my Saltare, but I think i lucked out and it is going to work out well for what I intend to use it for.

I had looked a Conbrio Classic but it looked too small for what I wanted... Is the conbrio like the comp?

Jetlink
06-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Yup, conbrio is just a comp with an open bow so it can better scoop water and get it into the boat.

haugy
06-27-2013, 10:31 AM
...I'm curious, why is there so much 'loyalty' to these older Supra boats? I've only had mine ('86 TS6M) since late last summer (used it twice last season), struggled through a bunch of mechanical issues after taking it out of storage, and got two half-decent days on the lake. I use it for wakeboarding and wake surfing. So far, it doesn't seem to be anything special. It's low and needs a ton of ballast to provide a half decent wake (yeah, I know it was never designed for producing a big wake). About the only positive I've found is that it stays 'flat' over some of the heavier chop/waves (not the biggest....stuff like maybe a foot or so) than my other deep-V hull boat does (surprisingly). Maybe this thing is amazing when pulling a skier (which I imagine it was designed for). So, I'm probably missing exactly why these boats are so well liked.

Again, I'm just curious. I'm not going to bash the boat, because I'm using it for things it likely wasn't designed for. I'm just wondering where the boat 'shines'. I'm going to look for a boat that has more room, is an inboard, and produces a better wake. Not sure what I'll be buying, but I'm pretty sure I'll be selling this boat.

I'd like to ask you guys to read my post carefully. I say EXACTLY that the boat was built for something different, and all I'm asking is if the boat shines in the areas OTHER than what I'm using it for, because I KNOW I'm using it for something it wasn't designed for.

Jeez. Read carefully, please, before you start throwing stones. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

I think you need to read your own post carefully. I quoted it for you just so you can do that. Your words, "I'm just wondering where the boat shines". "Maybe this thing is amazing when pulling a skier (which I imagine it was designed for)"

Those are your words correct?

Well you asked first why the loyalty, and then proceeded to make those two statements above, that are both in question form. You asked where it shines, and the first immediate response was a very factual answer. It was not rude or direct, or throwing stones. You asked essentially "why is this car fast", and they told you.

Clearly by your statement of assuming it's better for skiing means two things. You have not used it as intended, nor have researched enough to even know that. That's like buying a diesel pickup truck and wondering why you can't go fast around the race-track. You state that you don't know where it shines, then bash and say you know you're not using it like intended. Well? Which is it?

Now I would have left well enough alone and done as the others had done by providing good information for you. But after two posters did that, politely, and you reacted like a brat, I won't. You asked simple questions, and they answered them politely and factually. There was no negative connotation in them at all. And what do you do? You spit it back in their face, and insult them.

You are clearly not a responsible boat owner, as a true boat owner knows what his boat is designed for and can do. You are clearly not very smart either if you can't tell the difference from someone helping you and insults. So do us all a favor, sell your Comp. You are clearly not worthy of it, nor can appreciate it's true potential. And frankly, if there are guys like you out there representing the classic Supra owner, I'd rather you not. Go get yourself a nice Bayliner or ebbtide and go be rude on their pages.

You won't get any help from me, you'd probably get upset and whine again.

jtomasik
06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
I think you need to read your own post carefully. I quoted it for you just so you can do that. Your words, "I'm just wondering where the boat shines". "Maybe this thing is amazing when pulling a skier (which I imagine it was designed for)"

Those are your words correct?

Well you asked first why the loyalty, and then proceeded to make those two statements above, that are both in question form. You asked where it shines, and the first immediate response was a very factual answer. It was not rude or direct, or throwing stones. You asked essentially "why is this car fast", and they told you.

Clearly by your statement of assuming it's better for skiing means two things. You have not used it as intended, nor have researched enough to even know that. That's like buying a diesel pickup truck and wondering why you can't go fast around the race-track. You state that you don't know where it shines, then bash and say you know you're not using it like intended. Well? Which is it?

Now I would have left well enough alone and done as the others had done by providing good information for you. But after two posters did that, politely, and you reacted like a brat, I won't. You asked simple questions, and they answered them politely and factually. There was no negative connotation in them at all. And what do you do? You spit it back in their face, and insult them.

You are clearly not a responsible boat owner, as a true boat owner knows what his boat is designed for and can do. You are clearly not very smart either if you can't tell the difference from someone helping you and insults. So do us all a favor, sell your Comp. You are clearly not worthy of it, nor can appreciate it's true potential. And frankly, if there are guys like you out there representing the classic Supra owner, I'd rather you not. Go get yourself a nice Bayliner or ebbtide and go be rude on their pages.

You won't get any help from me, you'd probably get upset and whine again.

First, I didn't start out being rude. I stated that I am probably using the boat for the wrong things, and I asked where the boat shined. It was a simple question, with an admission of my mistake. That isn't 'rude'. The first response I got was:

Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

That was a jab at me. For what? Because I got into the boating world last summer (May), had 3 months experience, and listened to the advice of the few people I met, who happened to be wrong? Pretty much everyone I know makes mistakes, and experience is often the best teacher. I made mine, admitted it, and was just curious where this boat shined. Someone takes a shot at me for being human, I fire back.

Jetlink
06-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Alrighty then, perhaps your choice of how you phrased the question was not the best. Like I said, I read your initial post and I'll even admit it drive me a little crazy.

Anyways, carry on.

haugy
06-27-2013, 03:34 PM
First, I didn't start out being rude. I stated that I am probably using the boat for the wrong things, and I asked where the boat shined. It was a simple question, with an admission of my mistake. That isn't 'rude'. The first response I got was:

Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

That was a jab at me. For what? Because I got into the boating world last summer (May), had 3 months experience, and listened to the advice of the few people I met, who happened to be wrong? Pretty much everyone I know makes mistakes, and experience is often the best teacher. I made mine, admitted it, and was just curious where this boat shined. Someone takes a shot at me for being human, I fire back.

Alright, well first I'll apologize because I didn't read the corvette hauling firewood comment. I must have been speed reading. So I missed that.
My apologies.

But, it seems still very true that you leap before you look. You still countered your comments against each other, so how are supposed to know what you really do or do not know? There is tons of information in this forum, and you haven't been able to do any searching or reading to find out about the Comp? I find that impossible to believe. All you have to do is look around a for a few minutes.

Here, start with this: http://www.supraboats.com/history/ And begin reading. Learn about what you are running around in.

Sdc77
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm French, Living in France, and was looking for a cheap boat for wakeboarding. Even if it's not my mother language, I find many informations on this forum before deciding on the model I needed for what I would like to do. There are many Comp for sale here in France, but after few hours reading, I was sure this boat was absolutly not the one for wakeboarding/wake surfing.
But the Salatre is definatly an amazing boat, producing a huge wake with no ballast at all.
And as said before, those boats are sexy : you can look at a CC 2001 ; MC ; Malibu of 80's, they look old like grand mothers. People arround me can't imagine my boat is 24 years old !
Plus, it's easy to work on it, easy maintenance, you can modify many things and customize it with no fear, ton sof storage, roomy etc.

Sell your comp, but don't spit on Supras, many other models can be used for wakeboarding with a decent wake

Look at this, just me in the boat, no ballast :

http://sdch2o.free.fr/perso/bateau/supra/%c3%a9t%c3%a921.JPG

wotan2525
06-27-2013, 04:54 PM

Ridiculous.

That was a jab at me.

Yep. You rubbed me the wrong way and I rubbed back. Deal with it or pound sand.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqq1j75Va21qbotu4o1_400.jpg

2500HD
06-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I really hope that you get a boat that is better suited to you. Unfortunately you bought the wrong boat and are expecting a little to much. I think you can see from the responses that people are very devoted to their boats, they use them to there potential and a bit beyond. I truely feel that if you had bought a sunsport or a saltare your experience would have been totally different. My recomendation would be to either accept it's limits and enjoy it for what it can do or find one that is better suited to you. Either way, good luck and i hope you just go out and enjoy the water.

gogger
06-27-2013, 10:00 PM
I bought my Pirata without knowing anything about Supra's. Just knew that I wanted an Inboard ski boat. Didn't even know about wakesurfing. Quickly found out I bought a boat with rotten stringers.

But there was something I really liked about the boat. Liked the look, and after the first ride, loved the handling and the power.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff460/gogger/uploads/20130519_173730_zps4febc7be.jpg (http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/gogger/media/uploads/20130519_173730_zps4febc7be.jpg.html)

Guess it is a sexy boat.

Can't say I like it better than I would a brand new Boat. There are a lot of new features that would be nice to have. But she is paid for. A new one would be around $90000. I will be loyal to my older model supra for no payment book.

haugy
06-27-2013, 10:07 PM
Man gogger that gelcoat shines like a mirror. Love that shine.

gogger
06-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Thanks to Donny's brother. lol

The boy
07-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Just traded in my 1989 sunsport for a 2013 sunsport and i can tell you that every thing the new boat has is nice but i still could do every thing i wanted on the 1989 and loved it had no problems with it and will always love that boat and to how ever buys it next well enjoy it until it comes time for a resonation and i hope they do restore it and it dose not go to a junk yard

DAFF
07-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Here is a link.....

https://forum.supraboats.com/forumdisplay.php?9-Supra-Classifieds

michael hunter
07-08-2013, 08:44 AM
jtomasik
First let me say you are among friends here owning a Supra boat makes you family and just like in families there will be some arguments and fighting .
You have to be very careful when talking about Suprs especially the older ones they have a cult following and to their owners they are not just a boat. The comp you own is probably not a good choice for your intended use. If you want to try to get the best wake possible I would contact jetlink he owns one with ballast and a tower. His is about as good as it gets for a comp. If you decide to sell it the good news is it's probably worth what you paid so an upgrade will be easier. I also recommend the Sunsport or Saltair they are better for wakeboarding.

gogger
07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Ouch! no recommendation for a Pirata?

MDVols
07-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Let me guess, you were born in the mid to late eighties?

I'm loyal to my boat only. I'm not loyal to Supra. So happens my boat is a Supra. Likewise, my boat has been loyal to me. Has given back ten fold what I put into it.
I know and use mine for what it was intended for. Every boat has mechanical issues so non issue with me.

I think you answered your own question and everyone that wasn't born in the eighties pretty much said it all.

I was born in 82 and currently owning my 4th supra. 2 Comps, a Saltare, and a Legacy. I have liked different things about each and loved every one of them. Can't wait for my next which will probably be a launch but who knows. My first boat was an 82 mastercraft Stars and Stripes and after I got my 1st Comp I never looked back! Oh and maintaining them just comes with the territory.

MDVols
07-09-2013, 08:58 PM
Ouch! no recommendation for a Pirata?

How do you like your Pirata I came close to buying a clean one but couldn't get the guy to return my phone call until I had bought another. That Is frustrating!

gogger
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Love it, but my wife would like an open bow better I believe.

haugy
07-18-2013, 02:57 PM
You have to be very careful when talking about Suprs especially the older ones they have a cult following and to their owners they are not just a boat.

Awwwwwww......come'on, you say that like we are some sort of lynch mob.........
.http://www.vegalleries.com/Fox/SL20.jpg

Zim
07-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Personally I don't love the old ones. Luckily it's a subjective preference so my opinion shouldn't matter. Love the newer ones though, and had one fall into my lap. As a crossover boat it's been great for what I like. I don't ski, but it makes a very good surf and wakeboard wake.. so Im happy.

Everyone likes what they own.. especially on a fan page like this. I gotta be honest though, I'm a little shocked at how many of the older boats are on this board compared to the new stuff. Seems like there's no help for issues on the new boats haha.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Zim
07-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Your opinion matters. It may just be a handicap for you though when your boat breaks down and I don't stop to help as I go flying by ya. :D :D :D

Fair enough.. I'll ask my buddy in his gravity games edition, or the tige friend, or a couple MC friends, or a few friends with cabin cruisers... I'll get a tow home ;). You, however, will be ineligible to use my number cables without payment of beer or cash.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Jetlink
07-20-2013, 08:53 AM
We're good! Strangely enough, we call them jumper cables in GA. We can't read numbers in the south.

How you count... "Uh 1, uh 2......uh.......many."