PDA

View Full Version : Distributer - Spark Advance

scotty_jay1
07-27-2006, 04:34 PM
Hello Everyone!

If anyone has any insight that could be helpful please reply soon. Summer is running OUT!

We are having issues with our 86 Super Comp. and need some advice.

The boat became sluggish and the top end was at 35 (Yuck). So we started the stanard tune up process. plugs, checking gaps.etc.

We find our selves lost for a part. Does anyone know where we can find the MECHANICAL SPARK ADVANCE MECHANISM found in the Distibutor? The Distributor is a Presotlite brand.

We cannot find this product anywhere. Please help.

The Engine is a FORD 351 PCM Motor.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

OUI
07-27-2006, 05:36 PM
You may be out of luck trying to find just the advance part of the distributor. Mine (Mallory) did the same thing and I had to replace the whole distributor. Go to www.partman.com. You can buy a new Prestolite distributor, coil, plug wires, cap, rotor and electronic ignition module for $240.00 it comes in a kit. The best deal in town. I put it in my boat and it's never run better - well worth the money. Part # 92-301

KenG
07-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Scott,

The mechanism you are referring to is a set of springs and weights located underneath the plate that the ignition points are mounted on. This mechanism advances the ignition timing as the engine speed increases.

Usually, this mechanism requires inspection and lubrication once per season.

Your engine might run poorly or be difficult to start if the advance mechanism fails. Usually corrosion causes it to stick in a fixed position

There are a ton of the Prestolite distributors out there so I would imagine those parts are still available.

Although I have to agree that converting to an electronic ignition is the way to go.

--KG--

scotty_jay1
07-28-2006, 10:46 AM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help. I think we have some great direction here. My dad is the mechanic in the family and I sent him your suggestions. He seems to have a handle on the problem now.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks again for the advice.

This board is super helpful.

Ride On!

scott