PDA

View Full Version : What if the gas tank overflow breather gets submerged?

trayson
06-28-2013, 02:21 AM
Thinking there might be a possibility I'm sinking my gas tank overflow breather... Should I be concerned???

I know that when I'm surfing, that I've got the water flowing at the rub rail when underway. Now, it's possiblethat I could be sinking my gas tank overflow vent at times.

But Maybe not, as the water when underway could be diverted and not ever get to the overflow. It likely could go under though when we stop and the wake catches the back of the boat... I honestly haven't looked specifically at the overflow (and I will next time I surf).

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Here is a pic of the back corner of my boat for reference:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Pnos_9efdek/UZruf2XtRII/AAAAAAAAOAQ/MJRhLK-5P30/s800/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

trayson
06-29-2013, 07:38 PM
First off, no water was found in the water/fuel separator. That's good.

Second, I watched the breather and depending on how we're steering, it definitely has a little risk of splashes. For sure risk if we swamped the rear with an abrupt stop.

So, since I really don't have the time right now to re-route the breather line elsewhere, I went to the auto parts store and bought a 90 degree hose and have it zip-tied onto the breather outlet with the cap at the top. Basically, it's my "Surf Snorkel".

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-bujHD_g9HSI/Uc9r6ZUZKSI/AAAAAAAAOP8/0vWoV7PEXlY/s800/20130629_161234.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HhTovxsjMAk/Uc9sD24TJPI/AAAAAAAAOQE/xyASr13s_uc/s800/20130629_161245.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vtit8t_AThI/Uc9sHU00RzI/AAAAAAAAOQM/mxcP9GewLMc/s800/20130629_161227.jpg

The hose is attached to the outlet with black zip ties. The cap is likewise attached with black zip ties and the hood on the cap is kept at the right level by a few rounds of gorilla tape on the hose.

A little ghetto engineering, but this will totally do until I find a more asthetically pleasing solution.

I tried to buy some threaded 90 degree elbows and such, but the thread on this fitting was SAE and all the plumbing stuff I could find didn't match up. Actually the hose looks cleaner than a bunch of pipe fittings would have anyway--AND it's flexible, so if someone bonks it, there's some forgiveness and play.

DAFF
06-30-2013, 11:24 AM
I might try another solution. In theory it will work but it looks a little less than desirable. You could try to run the vent to another location up higher on the boat or find a way to plug it up while surfing.

CornRickey
06-30-2013, 11:46 AM
silly puddy

trayson
06-30-2013, 06:15 PM
I might try another solution. In theory it will work but it looks a little less than desirable. You could try to run the vent to another location up higher on the boat or find a way to plug it up while surfing.

I didn't want to plug it because I figured that the gas tank needed to breathe as fuel was used out of it. I didn't think creating a vacuum would be good.

Ultimately, yes, I'll get another vent and locate it in an area like up by the windshield as mentioned above. But this was a "quickie" solution that I bought on the way home from the river and installed in under 15 minutes. It was something that I could use to get me by since I knew I was going out again the very next day. I certainly didn't want to stop surfing, and I didn't want to risk getting stuck or worse.

So, this will get me by until I get around to buying another vent and installing it elsewhere. (yet another project on a long list!)

Sweaver
06-30-2013, 10:03 PM
I like the ingenuity. Doesn't look bad either.

kvand347
07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I put a check valve in mine. Doesn't work well with letting air out when re-fueling, but at least I know water will not be getting in.

trayson
07-01-2013, 11:13 AM
I put a check valve in mine. Doesn't work well with letting air out when re-fueling, but at least I know water will not be getting in.

Feel free to use my snorkel design then! ROFL! Just make sure to pay me a royalty for my amazing design work.

NorCalPR
07-02-2013, 07:27 PM
My vent on the tank is on the starbord side, vent is on port side.

I just tied up the hose to it is high. Any water that gets into the vent, has to run uphill to get into the tank. Any gas to get out has to run uphill first...

Hasn't taken water yet...