PDA

View Full Version : Vegas bound for new (to me) Supra Sunsport!!

villain
06-28-2013, 08:23 AM
so after work today at noon im leaving boise heading to vegas to pick up a sunsport. so stoked! cant wait to get away from work and the house for the weekend. we are going to be staying at the renaissance by the wynn golf course. if it wasnt going to be almose 120 i would play a round of golf. but the kicker is the evaporator just went out in the excursion yesterday. the ac works, but is still warm. wish i had the time to get it fixed before we leave, but i guess it will have to wait. hot or not im heading to vegas!! is there anyone on this forum thats in vegas? might have to hook up for a drink. wish me luck!

jasun
06-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Not in Vegas, but I am excited for you! Good luck and take lots of pics for us!!!

The boy
06-28-2013, 12:10 PM
by chance is the boat at boulder boats i just know that that is a big dealer in that area

jasun
06-28-2013, 04:05 PM
are we there yet?

villain
06-28-2013, 04:23 PM
haha havent even left. and the boat is from a private seller. single owner boat from what im getting from the owners.

jasun
06-28-2013, 11:22 PM
are we there yet?

2500HD
06-29-2013, 06:48 PM
I have to go to the bathroom.

Gregmacdog
06-29-2013, 08:05 PM
I live in Las Vegas, and a Supra Owner.
Stop right there and get the A/C repaired. It is hot here right now its 115 and going to be higher.
Congrats on the boat.

DAFF
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm hungry !!!

Jetlink
06-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Daff punched me!!!

DAFF
06-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Jetlink pinched me first....

villain
06-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Haha!! Got the ac fixed, picked up the boat. She needs some love but is usable. Picked it up for 4000, 1500 lower than asking. 1245612457124581245912460

Stopped at big o tires and had the bearings re done and put 4 new tires on. Should make for a good project this winter

jasun
06-30-2013, 08:01 AM
She looks good!!! Congrats!!!

villain
06-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Thanks! Just woke up, waitin on the wife to get out of the shower. I am not looking forward to the 10-12 hour drive back to Idaho. A tip for everyone... If your wife has a sprained ankle, don't bring her to Vegas......on the bright side, we didn't gamble much and stayed out of trouble because of it.

villain
06-30-2013, 08:29 AM

A couple pics of the view at the rennaisance. It is a nice place to stay, but has crap for parking.

DAFF
06-30-2013, 10:04 AM
Looks nicer in your photos than the ad. You could always find a rest stop on the way home with a nice little lake... Nothing better than resting with her sore ankle in some cold lake water from the ski platform. Someone once opon a time loved to boat from the look of the instruments on the panel and the overall look of the boat.

villain
06-30-2013, 11:43 PM
yea someone took pretty good care of it in the past. i think its in pretty good shape for being almost 30 years old. i do need to brace the swim platform better. do they have a wood transom or is it all glass? i think im going to take it out tomorrow after work. not to sure yet. kinda want to get it cleaned up really good first.

villain
06-30-2013, 11:54 PM
ok, so i have been thinking about it and what is the differences between the classic sunsport years? they surly have had to of made changes each year.

jasun
07-01-2013, 07:19 AM
It looks like it is in good shape! Any big surprises that you were excited/disappointed with when you brought it home?

I am pretty sure the transoms were wood fiberglassed in. Or that is what mine seemed to be.

Does the swim platform seem weak or loose?

Mine had lag screws in the bottom holes and actual bolts on the top. It had some threaded inserts for the top bolts.

Glad you had a good and safe trip! Give us some more pictures!

villain
07-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Ok that sounds about right. I need to make some backing plates for the platform. It is real loose. It was tight in Vegas, guess 700 miles at 85 can work stuff loose !!!! The biggest aupriE to me is that the cooler was cut out, then glasses back In rather badly. The po told me that the person he bought it from re did the frame of the boat. The only new work that I can see is the floor under the bow, that and it looks like the top cap was removed. Wanting to use it this weekend, but I think I have some work to do first right now I'm getting ready for work. While I have the boat at work I will try to snag some pics.

Anyone know much about the quagga muscles? He told me that it was treated for them. It appears to have some kind of chemical on the gel that is a pain to get off. Simple green wouldn't take it Off. Might acid wash it while I'm at work.

Hey haugy, you have any of your special cleaning sauce for sale? She is on need of a good cleaning.

villain
07-01-2013, 08:20 AM
While I'm thinking about it, how do you restore teak? And where can I buy pieces to replace what is broken and missing?

haugy
07-01-2013, 08:45 AM
Can't sell you any stuff. But I will give you some tips. Get some Fantastik and some Mr. Clean Magic erasers. Now everyone will cringe when I tell them this, but please keep in mind. You only use the Magic erasers once. Once it's cleaned deep and properly, a regular sponge and soapy water will keep them clean. But you have to get that top layer off.

Clean them up real good. Once you are done, here is a crucial part..........drown them in 303 protectant. And I mean drown them. Spray them down real good, wipe, then spray again, and wipe. Pay close attention to making sure it soaks into the seams and stitching. The cleaner will get a lot off, but it will then dry out your stitching. So you have to get some protection back in on them.

That should get you taken care of. Trust me. Then from there, a wet towel will be able to keep them clean.

Boat looks good, definitely some real potential there.

DAFF
07-01-2013, 10:05 AM
On the hull I use about 300ml of pool chlorine with a few cap fulls of dish washing liquid in a pale and fill with 2-3 gallons of water. Early in the AM no sun scrub the boats hull and fibreglass with this solution and rinse before it crusts. It might take a few applications but the results will be dramatic. DO NOT USE IN THE INTERIOR SECTIONS !!! Or you will ruin any cloured fabric in the boat.

After this scrub the hull with 3000 grit 3m wet sanding pad and buff with a one step compound and wax. The results will be jaw dropping. Before anyone gets out the polish using the 3000 grit circular pad will speed up the process. Did my Launch in 3 hrs hull and all removing all the snap rings in the process.

villain
07-01-2013, 08:37 PM
just loaded a bunch of pics to flickr. here is the link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96746089@N08/

villain
07-01-2013, 10:34 PM
It is an 85. I just through all the crap that was in the boat out into the lawn. I'm taking bids on all of it. I'm thinking the blue and white life preservers are going to snatch a mint. Lol. Going to be lake testing tomorrow after work. Wish me luck. Took a video of it running, had my buddy run the throttle. It sounded good and crisp. I will try to load it up.

villain
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
http://youtu.be/reJWXYs7BWg.

villain
07-01-2013, 11:20 PM
ok, so what is the difference between the sunsport rider, the sunsport skier, and the sunsport xl? is it all just trim packages?

jasun
07-02-2013, 09:07 AM
It is an 85. I just through all the crap that was in the boat out into the lawn. I'm taking bids on all of it.

Dibs on the Scooter!
:P
Looks good! has great potential, but is in its current shape is more then ready to go enjoy the Summer!
Keep posting pics!!

One thing I would do right away is change the impeller... everyone always says it, but it IS cheap insurance...

villain
07-02-2013, 11:48 AM
The impeller was changed when I looked at it on Vegas. Perks of working at a dealership...parts at cost!!!

jasun
07-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Well share the wealth!!! I work for an RV accessory manufacturer.... We have a Marine division, but our products go in 30'+ boats....

villain
07-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Haha wish I could. It would prolly cost more just in shipping

villain
07-02-2013, 08:45 PM
On my way to the lake. Wish us luck!!

jasun
07-02-2013, 11:08 PM
HOw did it go!?!?

villain
07-02-2013, 11:48 PM
Boat ran great!! Didn't get many pics tho. But I did snag a pretty cool underwater video with my iPhone. The life proof case is awesome!

I'm heading out tomorrow with my buddy to surf it of he gets off at a decent time. Got an Enzo sac, 2 600 sacs, a 550, and 2 450 sacs. Should be enough I think!!

villain
07-03-2013, 12:13 AM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=622232734461131&notif_t=like

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=622233561127715&set=vb.100000232295662&type=2&theater

dirtydawg
07-03-2013, 12:31 AM
let me know how the surfing goes. I'm having a hell of a time trying to stay in the pocket behind my 87 sunsport. Maybe I need more ballast. If you get a good wave see if you can take a vidio of it.

villain
07-03-2013, 08:20 AM
ok will do. the biggest question is if the prop is pitched right to push that much ballast to get up on plane. we will see. we had a fire at the lake a couple days ago and they closed one of the ramps. so now all the others is a friggin circus. i waited 15 minutes watching a guy trying to get his outdrive up last night untill i asked him if he needed help. walked up and hit the outdrive trailer button and it went right up....sometimes the ramp is so entertaining.

jasun
07-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Love the video! I am taking the Salt out for the Maiden Voyage tonight! Let me know how the surfing goes!

dirtydawg
07-03-2013, 09:32 AM
ok will do. the biggest question is if the prop is pitched right to push that much ballast to get up on plane. we will see. we had a fire at the lake a couple days ago and they closed one of the ramps. so now all the others is a friggin circus. i waited 15 minutes watching a guy trying to get his outdrive up last night untill i asked him if he needed help. walked up and hit the outdrive trailer button and it went right up....sometimes the ramp is so entertaining.

yeah ramps can be a hoot! unless Im in a hurry, then I want to pull my hair out. I wonder if there is a thing called ramp rage kinda like road rage.

Jetlink
07-03-2013, 10:49 AM
yeah ramps can be a hoot! unless Im in a hurry, then I want to pull my hair out. I wonder if there is a thing called ramp rage kinda like road rage.

My father in law and I spend Saturday evenings at the boat ramp with lawn chairs and a cooler it is that entertaining up here watching people try and get their boats out of the water after a full day of drinking and sun on the water. Thankfully we are able to keep our stuff in lifts/on the water for the duration of the weekend and don't have to deal with the madness so that of course makes it fun for us.

villain
07-04-2013, 09:54 AM

Went out to play with ballast. This is with one Enzo sack and a 250. Thats all we had at the shop in our stash of bags. It feels propped about right, pushes that weight with no problems. Time to add more weight evenly and in the back. I know it can get bigger

villain
07-04-2013, 10:03 AM
http://youtu.be/D9WZIYh0a_g

jasun
07-04-2013, 10:13 AM
is that with any ballast?

missed the post above the video...

villain
07-06-2013, 11:45 AM
just ordered a kenwood kmr-555u, an antenna, and a splash shield from amazon. should be here Tuesday. does anyone know if it will control an iPhone 5? couldn't find anything about what iPhone it controls.

villain
07-08-2013, 05:52 PM
spending money like its going out of style on this thing i guess. today i ordered an acme 913 prop and a jobe addict 1.3 polished tower. got to get this thing ready to watch the endless wave surf comp coming up the first of next month.

villain
07-08-2013, 11:30 PM
Ok, so I was looking pics over of trannys and I have never seen a coupler like mine. Any one else seen this? why would they put a spacer in?

And what is my exact model? Not sure how to read the tag. I know it's a velvet 1:1, but beyond that I don't know. im used to zf hurth trannys.

wotan2525
07-08-2013, 11:45 PM
That looks like a regular coupler with some kind of weird spacer in the middle.... doesn't it???

villain
07-11-2013, 10:35 PM
So I got some new stuff in for the boat today. Got an acme 913, my jobe 1.3 tower, my kenwood stereo and splash guard. My question is what is the common way to brace the gunnel for a tower? I know how we usually do it but the glass feels really thin in area that the feet go. Want to make sure I get it done right. Don't want any gel cracks when I'm done. 125821258312584

villain
07-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Got the tower on tonight. For a cheaper tower it went together really easy. Backed the mounts with 4"x18" 1/2" marine ply epoxied to the gunnels. Also got my new prop on. I was going to mount my new radio, but couldn't find a good spot to mount it that is out of the way. Still brainstorming on that one.

villain
07-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Got looking at my gel, and the whole boat has a white waxy, chalky residue. It is a real pia to get off. Acetone won't even get it off. The po told me that the boat was treated for quagga muscles. Could this be it? Anyone ever had that done? Would like to get a decent shine on her this summer before I wet sand and buff. Not ready for that quit yet. Haha

DAFF
07-17-2013, 10:20 PM
I bet the prop shaft was bent and replaced some where down the line. The replacement was just a tad too short so the shim was added to make it work .... As for the hull looks to me the boat spent some time in brackish water. Never the less a solid choice to get you started and make it your own.

villain
07-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Back at it again. Today I'm replacing the old sloppy morse control box with a new one. Pulled out my inaccurate speedo and putting in perfect pass in its place. Found some old dbot5 board racks that I'm going to mount up. And my buddy dug out his old as dirt kicker tower speakers. The old square box ones. Should be good for the summer until the wife lets me get wetsounds. Going to be pulling the carb off to get rebuilt at the carb shop we use at work. Thinking of getting a new starter as well as it seems to be getting tired. Just not spinning the motor over like it should.

Been out surfing with her a couple times and for only being a 19' boat, it has a good wave. Used a half filled 400 behind the motor, a 550 behind the driver, and an almost full Enzo sack on the port side. The 913 prop pulls out with no troubles, and holds speed extremely well.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/5yresabu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/uruje3a8.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/ezapu7um.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sdc77
07-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Nice pics man, this boat looks awesome !
Will you put a marine remote for your Kenwood radio ? I did it on my Saltare : An automotive Pioneer CD player with a marine Pioneer remote. It rocks !
As you seem to like working on your boat, why don't you try to build your own tower speaker ?

villain
07-28-2013, 07:21 PM
I have thought of building my own, but working for a tige dealer I can get a smoking deal on wetsounds. There is no way I can build something that will outperform a couple pairs of rev10's.

Just got done wet sanding a new (to me) set of gauges that I pulled out of a tige. The customer wanted them replaced because they were faded to the point it was hard to read. I think they turned out good, but need to take a polishing drum on a dremel to get them like glass again. Now I got to make a new wiring harness as the wires behind the dash resemble a rats nest.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/29/u3upa9ag.jpg

Supra_Comp
07-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Nice! Those will be a sweet upgrade. Good job/score.

villain
07-28-2013, 08:33 PM
The hard part will be finding a matching tach and mechanical speedo. Might have to custom order those.

villain
07-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Ok, so tonight after work I decided to finish my control box install. Found part if the problem for all of the slack in the throttle cable. The pin was almost completely worn through. So back to work to get a new pin and cotter pins. Got the control box in and loosely adjusted. Decided to so some of the wiring for the new gauges. Buffed them a little bit more while I was at it. They look a lot better, but still not perfect. Guess they will have to do for now. Decided to crawl under the dash. Wow was there a surprise for me. Who knew that the wire color for everything is red. So many jumbled wires and wire connectors its going to take a bit of work laying on my back under the dash to get sorted out. I really hope I can get everything finished up for the surf comp party on Saturday.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/aguga5am.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/etu8avu4.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/se3yvy6e.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/07/30/ana4umyt.jpg

villain
07-31-2013, 11:35 PM
Did some more work on her tonight. The wiring has been kick my ass. Got the gauges done, the volt gauge still reads really low. Im thinking its a bad ground or one of the shity butt connectors in the motor compartment. Idk Need to figure out the switches still and run the tower speaker wires, and clean the damn thing again. I think I pulled out 3 pounds of wire from under the dash so far. I just need more time in the day that's not hot as Hell. I'm going to buy new pull switches tomorrow after I get off work and change them out. Also some bigger wire to redo the main trunk harness. Been busy as hell trying to get all the boats ready for the surf comp. that's shop is putting on this weekend. Tige wants a boat setup a certain way, we need 3 boats set up for demos, and our shop boat is needing its 200 hour service. On top of that I want to get my boat ready for the weekend. 10 hour days this week is limitingy time with my baby. Hope it all works out.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/01/zahugyge.jpg

92SupraComp
07-31-2013, 11:57 PM
wow, some project. I modified my wiring up a bit. I ran 2 additional 10 AWG wires from the battery to my new ground buss bar, and the factory fuse panel. Added several grounds to the main daisy chain ground and ran an additional 12V feed from fuse panel to the voltage gauge. Everything reads as it should. 12 volts battery, 14 running.

dirtydawg
08-01-2013, 05:29 AM
ha, the liquor receipt on the table says it all. good luck with the wiring, hope you get it done in time