PDA

View Full Version : Overheating at idle..

devovino
06-29-2013, 09:15 AM
So on my shakedown cruise yesterday, I noticed my 87 Saltare (454) was getting pretty heated at idle from th moments I launched the old bird, but would cool down when underway? Thinking obvious things like impeller, did not replace /check it after winterizing it, also I noticed a bunch of cracks and some weeping from my fresh water intake hose, I will replace it, but could it be that at idle, it was sucking in air through the crack? Anywhoo, thanks in advance, Devon

DAFF
06-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Think of sucking water through a straw with a split... Always inspect the hose between the impeller and the water intake and make sure all the clamps are tight after a winter slumber. While underway the water pressure was pushing the water up the hose and helping relive the seeping issue.

devovino
06-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Think of sucking water through a straw with a split... Always inspect the hose between the impeller and the water intake and make sure all the clamps are tight after a winter slumber. While underway the water pressure was pushing the water up the hose and helping relive the seeping issue.

Hey Daff, that's a great way to put it,. I bought a new raw water intake suction hose, hope that is the "cracked McDonalds" straw of my problems!, i will get it on and go from there,tomorrow hopefully, Its supposed to be 100 by Tuesday! Hope that's the simple solution!

CornRickey
06-30-2013, 03:12 AM
check the other connections also. the strainer is a common place for allowing air into the system.

devovino
06-30-2013, 10:42 PM
So I replaced the intake hose, unfortunately that was not the culprit, i put the hose into a 5 gallon bucket and it was not drawing in any water, except for at higher revs, so I am ASSuming it is the impeler, and will pick it up tomorrow, and reinstall, I was hoping to not need one this year, seems like I just replaced it last year, such is life. However, while it was warm I drained the oil, as well as the "tranny" fluid to put new fluids in, have to figure out what fluid I need in the transmission, unless somebody will be kind enough to enlighten me....
Other than that, I hope it is actually the impeller, and not some other fubared component.....

lively
06-30-2013, 11:21 PM
Change the impeller dude .. Lol and take it all apart to the thermostat , if you don't then you will be stranded again . Once it brakes it goes right in there to block everything up .

When you hear up at idle it will 90% be impeller . Other 10% is when you don't take it all apart and clean out the first time :) good luck

2qts for the tranny no more no less . It's dextron .. I believe ..

devovino
07-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Change the impeller dude .. Lol and take it all apart to the thermostat , if you don't then you will be stranded again . Once it brakes it goes right in there to block everything up .

When you hear up at idle it will 90% be impeller . Other 10% is when you don't take it all apart and clean out the first time :) good luck

2qts for the tranny no more no less . It's dextron .. I believe ..

So yeah, as the tittle suggests, impellar imploded, missing 5 ( or so ) fins,,,, not able to account for all the "shrapnel"! Now what, just put a new impellar in and run it, and hope the pieces find their way to the exhaust covers at the end...

Jetlink
07-01-2013, 12:23 AM
So yeah, as the tittle suggests, impellar imploded, missing 5 ( or so ) fins,,,, not able to account for all the "shrapnel"! Now what, just put a new impellar in and run it, and hope the pieces find their way to the exhaust covers at the end...

If that is your plan, then I hope you plan for the worst and hope for the best. Take you hoses downstream from the impeller apart as well as remove the thermostat and check for pieces. Also, are you a classic boat and if so are you running supertrapps?

lively
07-01-2013, 12:26 AM
No , you remove the hose that goes upward to the thermostat housing . Then remove thermostat ( two allen head bolts on top ) scrap old gasket off with puddy knife or gasket scraper and inspect for fin particles . That's where they go . Follow the hoses to the housing from the raw water pump and remove flush and reinstall . Simple :)

devovino
07-01-2013, 12:42 AM
No , you remove the hose that goes upward to the thermostat housing . Then remove thermostat ( two allen head bolts on top ) scrap old gasket off with puddy knife or gasket scraper and inspect for fin particles . That's where they go . Follow the hoses to the housing from the raw water pump and remove flush and reinstall . Simple :)

Well simple in theory... however it look like the PO never even had a thermostat installed....... hmmmm, explains why it always ran soo cool?!

I took it apart to where the thermostat should have been, not able to find any pieces of impeller anywhere, this is not looking good.

As far as a classic boat, I think they are all classics, but actually, not sure what you mean by that one. However, in looking at the exhaust caps, they are chrome caps with nuts on the end, and around the sides there is what appears to be rings of fins.

Jetlink
07-01-2013, 12:45 AM
Well simple in theory... however it look like the PO never even had a thermostat installed....... hmmmm, explains why it always ran soo cool?!

I took it apart to where the thermostat should have been, not able to find any pieces of impeller anywhere, this is not looking good.

As far as a classic boat, I think they are all classics, but actually, not sure what you mean by that one. However, in looking at the exhaust caps, they are chrome caps with nuts on the end, and around the sides there is what appears to be rings of fins.

You have Supertrapps then and those are going to capture and trap any pieces that make it that far. Remove those as well and report back with what you find. Oh, and reseal those trapps when you do.

devovino
07-01-2013, 12:53 AM
You have Supertrapps then and those are going to capture and trap any pieces that make it that far. Remove those as well and report back with what you find. Oh, and reseal those trapps when you do.

Will do, in this case tomorrow after work, as I am up at 5, gotta get some sleep someday...

As for resealing, do I use the 5200 that I hear so much about on this site? if so, is it a Home Depot thing? Also,, is there anywhere else these pieces can get caught, in the jackets of the motor? In the Water Pump? If so can this also be problematic down the road?

And for the thermostat, I would like to now put one in, is 160 the right temp thermo? Will a automotive thermostat suffice, or do I need Marine?

Jetlink
07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
I used 4200 to seal up my exhaust. As for the other questions 160 degrees should suffice and the rest of them, not a clue really thankfully.

devovino
07-01-2013, 01:07 AM
I used 4200 to seal up my exhaust. As for the other questions 160 degrees should suffice and the rest of them, not a clue really thankfully.

Gotcha, that will do, thanks. Guess thats what happens when your up at 1:00 am in the windy City.

Jetlink
07-01-2013, 01:12 AM
Night owl unfortunately and I also get up around 7:00AM every day.

devovino
07-01-2013, 01:22 AM
I hear that, it a viscous cycle....

I will dig in tomorrow after work, gotta get her back on water its supposed to be in the 100 degree mark all week here in the high deserts! Lake is callin my name, as well as the 4th of July!

devovino
07-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I hear that, it a viscous cycle....

I will dig in tomorrow after work, gotta get her back on water its supposed to be in the 100 degree mark all week here in the high deserts! Lake is callin my name, as well as the 4th of July!

Just a quick update, did all the fore mentioned repairs and the Salt is nor running like a champ again. However, when I got her on the water, went to put it in gear and go... nothing!... I said to myself now what!? So, upon further I found something supper simple- the throttle cable had "slipped" out of its open housing (mount) right by the transmission, so just as simply I put it back in and I was off ( must have knocked it out when I was changing the transmission fluids).

But now it seems like I smell gas a lot, at first I attributed it to the breather tube, but I think it must be something else, I smell it pretty frequently. I need to trace the lines see what I can find. Anyone else have any other ideas?

Other than that,I am back underway, the engine is operating at its optimal temp (around 160) and does not variate too much, so I am happy!