PDA

View Full Version : Can bent skegs cause bad list at speed?

LCYrace
06-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Back at the pond today to make sure my exhaust re-seal job worked. This thing is a handful when it is running over 35mph. Not to mention I can't seem to get more than 40mph but thats not a big issue. I can see that 2 of my 3 skegs are bent so that if you are looking at them from the rear the bottom of the skeg is maybe 1/2 to 1 inch off center to the strarboard side. They may have a little twist as well. Might this cause handling issues at speed? The biggest issue is that the boat doesn't ride no where near level once on plane. I am 6'2" tall and I cannot see the water out of the port side windshield when on plane. Also it is VERY darty if I try to run flat out at about 40mph. Any one ever experience this? I have some play in the steering so that my be contributing to the high speed issues but I would really like to get it to ride a little more flat once on plane.

Salty87
07-01-2013, 10:36 AM
just guessing but i'd expect bent skegs would cause some handling issues...depending on which side they bend to compared to the prop torque i'd expect there to be pressure fighting against the steering to one side or the other. i don't think it would cause listing though. most boats have a list to starboard. the weight of the dash + driver needs some counterweight like a spotter on the other side. can you get someone to take a pic from shore?

slop in the steering is never good but with bent skegs it could be worse. there's a spot on the tiller arm toward the stern that can be greased. kinda sounds like a cable that's going out though. i don't know if the skegs can be straightened while they're still attached. time to call a prop shop to see.

what are your rpms at wot?

haugy
07-01-2013, 10:53 AM
Is your trim plate level? The wake plate at the back of the boat is adjustable, make sure it's level.

Weren't you the boat that wouldn't sit level?

DAFF
07-01-2013, 01:22 PM
I would think the bent skegs are causing a lot of the grief , considering the amount you are talking. I would try to bend them back using a large adjustable wrench from the bottom of the boat. As for the plane issue the front is turning and the rear is running straight causing a crabbing issue more less the boat is very twitchy and unstable.

LCYrace
07-01-2013, 03:55 PM
Salty my RPM's are about 3800-3900 WOT and I see about 39-40 mph. I think she is a little tired. Has almost 1100 hrs on her. 35 is plenty fast if it ran straight and level.

Yes haugy I did have an issue with a list while sitting still but after a week of sucking water out with a shopvac it sits pretty level now. I do have the cavitation plate slightly below level so I will level it.

And Daff, it has a mind of its own you get her wound out. It will hook hard to starboard but I have to fight it to turn to port. Forget going straight!

With the bent skegs I expect they are acting like a rudder trying to turn the front of the boat to starboard. Maybe if I bent them the other way it would counteract the prop torque and she would run level. There has got to be a way to make it run level without putting a sumo wrestler on the port gunwale!!!

gogger
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
What kind of shape is the rudder in? Is there play in it? My old rudder and bushing had so much wear you could wiggle it about an inch. Donny said it should have been doing what your describing. Luckily it never gave me much problem, just let a lot of water in the boat.

Salty87
07-01-2013, 09:49 PM
Salty my RPM's are about 3800-3900 WOT and I see about 39-40 mph. I think she is a little tired. Has almost 1100 hrs on her. 35 is plenty fast if it ran straight and level.

clearly handling is your priority but after that you should check the prop. if you need a prop shop to straighten the skegs, get the prop checked too. 1100 hrs ain't nuttin and you should be hitting 4800 rpms with a 351. being under propped is not good for an engine in the long term. imagine riding a bicycle uphill in too high of a gear.

LCYrace
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Wow, if it would turn 4800 rpms with this prop that would be nearly 50+ mph. I guess there are alot of factors. I do know it will jump out of the water when you hammer it off idle. Probably gets to 25 in a matter of 3 to 4 seconds. Not sure if that's good but seems like its pulls hard. I will get some pics this week. Also, how free should the prop spin. Should it freewheel or should there be a lot of resistance. Mine does not spin freely. You can turn it by hand but it does take some effort. Even in the water it still seems to have a lot of resistance. Maybe this is normal. I do not know. I love this boat just wish I could get all these kinks worked out.

My rudder does have about 1/2 inch of play under the boat. Seems like there are some worn parts at the adjustment pivot under the floor. Steers easy enough, 1 or 2 fingers from side to side just has about 1/8 turn of play at the wheel. Don't think this is my problem with the ride angle. I guess it still may be way heavy on the starboard side. Just too many variables it seems.

Zim
07-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Sounds like you have many issues. Start by getting the skegs straight. By the sound of it, you need to service your entire steering system. New cable, rudder mount, etc. You might even consider swapping to a hydrolic steering system.

Jetlink
07-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I would think a hydraulic system is not even worth it let alone feasible. I'd look at first fixing what is there. Your adjustable wake plate needs to be flush or just a 1/4 inch higher than the hull otherwise at high speed it wants to lift the stern and bury the nose which can make for a very unstable driving boat.

LCYrace
07-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the tip Jetlink. I will use a straight edge and get the wake plate flush with the rest of the hull. I will also try to grease the steering linkage at the stern and see if it helps any with the play in the steering.

Not sure if I can bend the skegs while attached to the hull. I'd hate to crack something. Not sure if I need any heat or not to get them to bend.

And as for the RPM's I need to see what prop I have. I assume it is the original but who knows. Hopefully there are markings somewhere so I don't have to remove it. If I do I guess thats not a big deal.

I appreciate everyones input.

Jetlink
07-02-2013, 06:55 PM
Not a problem, as a point of reference my wake plate is flush with the bottom of the hull and when I'm north of 42~ish MPH my boat does start to hunt and you look like your driving in a movie with the wheel rocking back and forth just to keep it pointed down the lake.

LCYrace
07-03-2013, 05:34 PM
OK, here is a pic of the skegs from behind directly under the prop shaft. Notice how they are all bent but the rear one has it the worst. Is this normal? Did it come like this from the factory? If you line up the bottom of all 3 skegs the line it creates would meet the prop almost 6 inches off center to starboard. So if I were to simply remove the skegs from the hull to test my theory would the boat drive ok? Of course I would reseal and replace the screws before I put it in the water. I do not pull skiers at this time just the occasional tube loaded with a 65lb 11 year old hooked to the transom ring.

Also attached is a pic of my prop. Do the nunbers mean it is a 13x13.75 LH?

Thanks in advance for any replies!!!1250212503

Jetlink
07-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Your skegs are bent and those are integral in allowing the boat to turn. The boat on sense pivots around those tracking fins. Removing them will cause the boat to slide all over the place in a turn.

Salty87
07-03-2013, 06:22 PM
call a prop shop and ask if you need to remove them to be straightened...and cross your fingers. some of the bolts could be under the engine.

SquamInboards
07-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Those tracking fins will have to come off to be straightened properly. I would definitely start there and see how the boat handles, before spending any more money. Greasing some moving parts is obviously good. But my 2 cents is, start with the fins, and flattening the wake plate as suggested. Also, you might have waterlogged foam under the floor. That would cause strange handling due to uneven distribution of weight. Just a thought.

On the prop, that is very likely the original, and yes it appears to be a 13" x 13.75" pitch LH.

LCYrace
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Another project completed. Removed all the fins and straightened them with my 6-ton press. Now if I sit on the motor box while on plane the boat rides pretty level. (I was alone) I set the wake plate level so now it handles pretty well and top speed is up to 40-41. So I guess this case is closed. Thanks for the help. Time to start another thread for my next problem....