PDA

View Full Version : Found the local boat dealer not to go to...

trayson
07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Wow, I just went into my local boat dealer and I was gonna find out how much their packing nut wrenches would cost. Two of the people behind the counter looked at me like I was asking them for a flux capacitor.

They literally didn't know what it was. #facepalm. Seriously, every DD or V-Drive on the planet has a packing nut and they didn't know what one was. :confused:

I also asked them if they had a fuel filter for my PCM 351 and had the old filter in hand. Nope.

I guess I won't be doing much business there.

/rant

2500HD
07-01-2013, 09:26 PM
For the packing nut, just use 2 large crescent wrenches.

trayson
07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
For the packing nut, just use 2 large crescent wrenches.

The biggest crescent I had only went up to 1 3/4. Had to use a pipe wrench and be careful.

My packing nut was damn loose, took next to no effort to get it off without even touching the jam nut.

mabbore
07-02-2013, 09:43 AM
The biggest crescent I had only went up to 1 3/4. Had to use a pipe wrench and be careful.

My packing nut was damn loose, took next to no effort to get it off without even touching the jam nut.

There is a Marina near me that is the same way. They only do I/O and out boards. It great for basic stuff like ropes etc, but forget about, packing rope, props or anything else that is specific to direct drives.

haugy
07-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Yep, just go to a Home Depot or something and get one big pipe wrench and one big pair of channel locks. Two big tools that can be used elsewhere on the boat, trust me!

That's all you need. As for your filter, hit up Skidim.com

jasun
07-02-2013, 10:48 AM
I used 2 big Channel locks on mine. All the marinas around here are the same way. I was looking for exhaust hose and could not find it anywhere. Noone deals in inboards around here. I have used SKIDIM a lot also for a lot of things for the boat. 2 day shipping from where I am. very knowlegable though.

I did find the fuel filter on Amazon for 8 bucks and free 2 day shipping (thank you Amazon Prime!) I have ordered one in the past from O'Rileys and it was $12.

trayson
07-02-2013, 10:56 AM
Yep, just go to a Home Depot or something and get one big pipe wrench and one big pair of channel locks. Two big tools that can be used elsewhere on the boat, trust me!

That's all you need. As for your filter, hit up Skidim.com

I used 2 big Channel locks on mine. All the marinas around here are the same way. I was looking for exhaust hose and could not find it anywhere. Noone deals in inboards around here. I have used SKIDIM a lot also for a lot of things for the boat. 2 day shipping from where I am. very knowlegable though.

I did find the fuel filter on Amazon for 8 bucks and free 2 day shipping (thank you Amazon Prime!) I have ordered one in the past from O'Rileys and it was $12.

Yeah, I knew that I could get one online for like $10.

I just scooted down to Napa as they were close and picked up a pair. (I really wasn't thinking as I told him to grab 2 before I asked the price. Napa is expensive at $15 ea, but whatever. It's probably one of the cheapest things I'll ever buy for my boat.

Yeah, I had actually thought about asking this dealer for a price to align my engine/tranny/prop shaft. Um, No. They said it themselves, "We don't work on many of those kind of boats".