PDA

View Full Version : What is the "accordion" hose for on my 1990 comp ts6m?

fairladyaffair
07-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Alright, there is a accordion/ dryer vent hose looking pipe that goes to the stern of my 1990 comp ts6m. Ill take a picture of it later but it appears someone has cut it off at the mount to the hull and replaced the remaining length to the rear with a 4" piece of PVC pipe.... Anyway it appears to have been gorilla glued the the stern and the "seal" has degraded. On another note, the pipe was supported by a rock wedged under the pvc and the hull...yea wtf...

First question, what is the accordion pipe for.

Second question, will it take on water when the throttle is let off and the boat settles into the water?

jasun
07-03-2013, 12:09 PM
It sounds like you are talking about a blower. does the Hose connect to your blower?

I know in some of the models the PVC came from the factory, but I am not sure how they were mounted.

I am not sure what you are asking when you ask about it taking on water... where is it coming from?

haugy
07-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Yep, that's the blower hose. If you turn your blower on, you should feel air being pulled into the PVC pipe under the engine to the hose, and then out the back vents right above the platform. If the blower is running and no air comes out the vents, a hose is disconnected somewhere, and you need to fix that ASAP. The rock thing is some serious ghetto work. Just go to Lowes for some pipe strapping and put a small screw above and below the pip with the strapping to hold it in place. There is no load to it, just it's own weight.

As for taking on water, are you talking about water coming in the back vents? On a comp you can yes, but it's very hard to do. You would have to be well loaded enough to produce a very large wave, then stop suddenly. However, if you park with your stern to some other waves from boats, yep, they'll go right over the back if you aren't careful. Don't worry, it will just travel down the hose into the bilge and the bilge pump will pump it out. As long as the bilge pump isn't held up by some other ghetto apparatus. :D

If you are taking on water the driveshaft, that's somewhat normal, but if it's noticeable when sitting still you need to tighten that big nut in front of where the driveshaft comes in the hull. There is wax rope inside of that to keep water out. Over time it wears down and you need to turn on the nut to snug it up a little. I'm not talking about a couple of turns, normally a 1/4 or 1/2 turn will do it. Just depends on your boat. I've heard of some people having to turn them a couple times because they had never been tightened.

fairladyaffair
07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Your right its the blower, whatever was used to seal the blower to the stern portion of the hull has degraded, now i need to find a better way to mount and seal it.

fairladyaffair
07-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Good to know! That explains the water that randomly shows up after a surge of water from a rogue wave. Thanks for the info.

villain
07-04-2013, 12:29 PM
i thought the rock was a dealer installed option on the comps?

fairladyaffair
07-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Its the deluxe model, ie i found it on the bottom of the lake when i noticed it edition lol