PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cut Off or Safety Switch? 1998 Legacy MPI

hanski
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
My 1998 Legacy has been running great this year. The other day it went dead in the water. Will not start. Turns over like normal. The consensus among my friends it is a fuel system issue. Also none can believe that there is no "fuel cut of or safety switch" of any kind and I can't find one. Is there a simple answer to this before the trouble shooting of the fuel system begins?

I remember being able to hear 1 of the 2 fuel pumps "prime" with the first click of the key. I know long here this. I know there are 2 pumps, which one do I start with.

Any help would be great

Cusefan78
07-04-2013, 02:18 PM
There is a relay on the back of the motor. It's pretty common for those to go. I carry an extra one on my boat just to make sure. You should also check to make sure the fuel pump is working and also make sure the breakers on the engine aren't tripped but my guess is it the relay.

SquamInboards
07-04-2013, 03:45 PM
There is a relay on the back of the motor. It's pretty common for those to go. I carry an extra one on my boat just to make sure. You should also check to make sure the fuel pump is working and also make sure the breakers on the engine aren't tripped but my guess is it the relay.

I have to agree that it sounds electrical. Fuel issues usually cause the engine to run poorly for some period of time first, rather than what you describe. A fuse, breaker, relay, something like that.

hanski
07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
I have to agree that it sounds electrical. Fuel issues usually cause the engine to run poorly for some period of time first, rather than what you describe. A fuse, breaker, relay, something like that.

The boat did seem to be a bit dull when we started our trip home that day. Like weeds on the prop...

Replaced the fuse it was blown... Changed out both fuel filters. Now when I turn the key the fuel pump primes itself but makes a screaming noise..... Could a bad pump pop the fuse, is the next step to replace the fuel pump? Is this a difficult do it yourself project?

SquamInboards
07-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Fuel pump probably shouldn't be "screaming" and yes, a bad pump might draw excessive power and blow a fuse. Personally, I'm not familiar with fuel pump replacement on that engine, but it's not typically very complicated.

edit: I just happened to see a 1998 Legacy today, and it has a safety switch behind the control box on the same panel. It's down below where your elbow would be with your hand on the shift lever. Don't know if yours has one, but this was another 1998 Legacy, so I thought I'd share the info.