PDA

View Full Version : rub rails

87 Sunsport
11-16-2002, 04:46 PM
Had some storm damage and I need a new rub rail.
I have seen a lot of talk about new and old hull shapes. I wonder if my 87 Sunsport is the same hull as the new ones, and if so can I use the new stainless rub rails?

Brian Raymond
11-16-2002, 11:20 PM
The task is feasible, I would confirm with my dealer about pricing on the new rubrail and insert b-4 ordering. A couple of tips, when replacing rub rail, fill the old rivit/screw holes w/silicone, the factory has a special bender for the stainless insert, yor boat is not the same as in production and could not be sent pre-bent insert, hence, you would have to bend the stainless yourself and it aint fun, if you make your radius to sharp at the corners you will kink the insert and render it useless. I am not saying it can't be done, just get as much info and insight b-4 attepting. If you use the plastic rail and rubber insert, after installing the rail, put the insert in the dryer with some old towels for 15 min prior to install. This will make it easier to install.Brian Raymond

87 Sunsport
11-17-2002, 10:28 AM
Raymond,
First I really appreciate a Tech from Skiers Choice making a reply.
Second, there are no Supra dealers up here (Cooperstown NY)
so should I buy the rail from the local I/O dealer or get one from you folks?

Brian Raymond
11-20-2002, 12:38 AM
Please give me a day or 2. I will post a dealer network for you or have other options. To keep the boat original and pristene, stay with originnal equipment. Brian Raymond