PDA

View Full Version : Big A** Saltare

Crookjr
07-31-2006, 10:08 PM
I just signed up and this is my first post. Be gentle!
I bought a 1987 Saltare with 400 hours and a 454 engine.
It sounds great and has "good bones". The interior looks great, but turns out it is rotten and water logged. With my beautiful wife, duh, skiing me I can get up. With 4 adults in the boat it can't get out of it's own wake. O.K., you just got the joke...
Is it water logged or... I will have the interior rebuilt next week. It has a rebuilt three blade prop that was on it when aquired. The tach says no more than 25k. It sounds like it is running great. I have my thoughts but would prefer yours.
I have a 1977 Correct Craft Martinique with a OMC 350 (1200 Hours) that I am stepping up from. 17 to 23 and tons of weight. Can this work? I don't know what is wrong; what do you think? Thanks for you help. Charlie
866-332-3738-O

OUI
07-31-2006, 11:31 PM
I have an '89 Saltare with a 454. Supra's have a problem with rot - floor boards, back hatch covers, stringers, etc. Although you may have rot problems, I dont' think that's the cause for the lack of RPMs. You should get at least 4200. It could be the carb, points/gap, cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, prop or advance mechanism. If you're handy rebuild the carb and install a new ignition system. That will eliminate all problems without going through to much hassel and expence. Total cost $350.00. Carb rebuild kit from skidim.com and electronic ignition package from partsman.com.

Now the rot. If your floor boards are soft and flexable they need to be replaced. Next check your stringers. Turn the lag bolts on the motor mounts that screw into the stringers. If they turn then you've got a bigger issue -- rotten stringers, and a potentially bigger project then replacing floor boards. If your stringer bolts turn get back to the board and let us know -- there are a varity of fixs that people can suggest.

From there, what are you using for a prop (diamiter & pitch)?

08-03-2006, 09:37 PM
The big block should pull an elephant or two up by the time you count to five. I installed an electronic ignition about three years ago. It was OK before, very responsive now. (I have an 87)

Crookjr
08-09-2006, 10:30 PM
IOU-etal,
Thanks for the information.
Here is were we are today.
I'm in the south and as you know it has been very hot and dry.
I have let the boat dry out on the trailer.
While this happened it was compounded and waxed by a pro.
Night and day! The dark blue is now dark blue not NC Blue.
The destroyed back lid (due to rot) has been replaced and attached.
I put the boat in the water tonight and took her for a spin.
The results were like this; out of gear the engine reve'd to 40000, no problem.
In gear and underway I could not get her up and over 26000. Top speed on the working speedo was 32. I did a quick spin at top speed and I turned on a dime. I also came to a complete stop, well almost. She bulled back up on plane an again topped out at 32.
I tied her up at the dock and a buddy that likes to work on old boats wandered up.
He had been told of my delima and was contemplating it during the week.
His answer was the back two barrels on the carb were stuck closed.
He looked it over and after reving at the dock and checking out the carb he is convinced the vacuum operated two barrels are locked down and won't engage.
He wants to piddle with it tomorrow. He has done this before so I'm good with it.
What do you think?
The prop is a three blade LH 13 bronze that I just had reconditioned. CUP is the only thing stamped on the prop. How do I check the pitch? Does this sound like the right prop?
The interior is goiong to be replace next week. Is there a reason why the back bench has to remain the same. As long as we can access the back bildge pump and shaft plate could we redesign the back seat without big problems?
Has anyone other than me tried to put one of these beauties back together. All responsed are appreciated.
Charlie
866-332-3738

OUI
08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Sounds like the carb is the problem. Rebuild kits are available at skidim.com. It's an easy rebuild. The prop is propably a 13x13 and that's the standard prop for the boat.

Crookjr
08-12-2006, 09:48 PM
My buddie works magic with his piddles.
The carb is indeed the problem.
He told me it looks like someone replaced the existing carb with a smaller one.
Do you know what is the proper size carb for the big block?
I would like to go back with what is right, either rebuild or replace.
The boat now turns 32 and ran up to 42 with my wife and I in it.
Man, you should have seen me smile!

OUI
08-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Holley 4160. Skidim.com $599.00

AlabamaSkiBum
08-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I recently bought a 1999 Legacy with the 350 Indmar and a Holley Carb that was in bad shape. I replaced it with a 600 cfm Edlebrock ($290 - Summit Racing Online) Runs GREAT now. The Carb was tuned perfectly for me out of the box. The 454 you may want the 750 cfm I am not really sure. I know for my 350, I was advised against the 750 cfm Carb. It is my understanding that although you may get more top end out of it, that you have to be way up on RPM's to take advantage of the 750 cfm and you may slightly sacrifice low end responsiveness. I am thinking that may be true for the small block V-8, but a 454 and a 750 cfm should be okay.

I understand Holley is a great carb, but I took the advice of a close friend and life long "Gear Head" when I bought my Edlebrock. He has rebuilt ALOT of Holley's and said they are great carbs, however, he did not think they were $200 better then the Edlebrock.

As I mentioned mine ran GREAT out of the box.

Sorry to hear about your rot, but if you can get it fixed I still think the Saltare's are one of the best looking inboards around.

Todd

AlabamaSkiBum
08-14-2006, 02:16 PM
One other quick note: MAKE SURE IT IS A MARINE CARB

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=EDELBROC K+MARINE+CARBURETOR&searchinresults=false&N=+115&y =9&x=13

ALso, when I re-worked my Legacy, I went ahead and bought a new fuel pump and filter. My boat had a fair amount of corrosion from general condensation so I wanted to make sure the fuel system, alternator, waterpump and ignition were all good.

The Carter electric fuel pump - $100
Filter $10 as I recall
Carb - $294

Plus if you do $400 from Summit Racing they sent me a $20 gift check.

Good Luck

wpg89supra
08-15-2006, 12:08 AM
I have an 89 Conbrio with a 351PCM and a Holley carb. Had a 650 Carter on my Chev Blazer and never had a problem in the mud, have been toying with the idea of installing a marine version in the boat. the holley is ok but seems to not like to idle all the time.
I picked up the boat in Texas last fall and have had a gas with it this summer in Canada. Loads of looks from people takes a 1/2 hour to load and tie down while you talk to people about the tower and whats in it.
Fabulous machine.

Salty87
08-15-2006, 12:43 PM
i went with edelbrock too. my holley was in desperate need of work and i didn't want to do it. i figured once i paid a shop, i would be pretty close to the price of the edelbrock. it was simple to swap out except you need to make a new fuel line. i found a buddy with the correct tools and that turned out to be easy too.

crookjr, if you're spending money on her...a new prop makes a world of difference. that's assuming everything else is working correctly. acme 3 blades are awesome.

skiman_61
08-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Hey Crookjr,

How about an update on the SALTARE'? Did you check your stringers?

Crookjr
10-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank you for advice and interest in this young chick. Sorry for being gone so long... business calls. Hey, I got to pay for her some how.

I had a great lady do a new interior for me. She thought she could redo the interior in a week. I put the boat in the water July 4th. Spent a day on her after the trip from CT to SC. Interior is rotten so I had to get her fixed. One, maybe to weeks; I would be O.K.

Well.... Once she pulled the covers off we learned more about this 20 year old. The previous owner put a new floor in....ON TOP OF THE OLD ROTTEN ONE!!!

One to two weeks turned into a couple months.

Today we have a new floor ontop of solid stringers, just lucky, fiberglassed and ready to start over.

The new interior includes a redone back seat, frame around the engine box, new passenger/battery box and seat, all new wood in the play pin. I'll post some pics soon. We went current. Put the Supra rainbow in the interior and on the motor box. Looks sweet!

Last weekend I put her back in the water. Nothing but compliments! Very nimble without the rotten/wet wood. I'm getting 43 on the speedo. How accurate it is should be questioned. Plenty fast. I will need a new carb this winter. Will probably go with the Edelbrock.

Oh, I almost forgot. I had the guy that did the polish put a new radio in for me. Yes, new speakers too. MP3, CD, Sirrius, XM; all off 4 speakers that rock. Tweeter/woofer combos. Now I can rock but I still can't dance.

Pics to follow... thanks for your help and interest.
Charlie
866-332-3738

Salty87
10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
crookjr

new floor, tell me more. did you take pics? did you split the top off to do the floor or leave it on?

thanks, any details you have!