PDA

View Full Version : How We Celebrate the 4th in Texas

sybrmike
07-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Everything's bigger in Texas, right? My pyro neighbor started really getting into the fireworks & now several of us help support his habit...

Not too shabby for a backyard shindig. In addition to the 25 minute show with accompanying mixed soundtrack - 14 racks of ribs, venison sausage, seemingly endless pizza from the outdoor oven, frozen beverage machine, etc. Oh, and we did the same show last Saturday for another neighbor's annual bash (and do something similar for New Years). Sure beats risking the roads into town for the big shows.

No need to watch the whole thing, but the beginning shows the set-up and the last few minutes are pretty cool (wait for the bangs at the end). I added the lake platforms this year (but probably won't repeat - too much of a hassle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTr45WBp1V4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

villain
07-08-2013, 11:38 PM
holly cow!!!! what did that display cost??

wotan2525
07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Wow... what a show! I'd say the bank accounts must be bigger in TX, too!

sybrmike
08-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Woohoo - we won! (although I didn't even know we were playing) The head pyromaniac submitted our video to a contest that our wholesaler was running & we just received the following:

"Congratulations! You won our Capture the Moment contest for best video! The show was great, and the set-up pics and picture-in-picture really put it over the top.
The prize was supposed to be a 4-cue wireless firing system, but from your setup, it looks like you already have a pretty serious firing system. Let me know if you do want the firing system. If not, I will just credit that amount to your account for your next purchase."

So, next year might not be as painful on the pocketbook. Costs aren't too bad - neighbors all pitch in & we purchase enough (~$3k) once a year to last for three shows (New Years, and two separate parties on and around the 4th) & works out to a little over a 100 bucks per man per show. Much more "bang for the buck" than the local stand...

wotan2525
08-07-2013, 10:43 AM
So that entire show is only ~$1000 worth of explosives? I'm amazed!!

sybrmike
08-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Yep, it pays to buy in bulk...

gracydais
09-06-2013, 05:49 AM
That is quite a show in modest budget.