PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Tank hoses coming off!

kbckz
07-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Has anyone experienced their ballast hoses coming off when the sacs are full? I have had this happen several time on both rear sides, with the outtake fitting coming off. I'm confident I have correctly installed the hoses. After several times of them coming off I've ensured I was connecting them correctly. The red collar is usually still engaged; they somehow manage to work themselves loose with the teeth and collar still engaged. The boat is a 2008 242 Gravity Games with factory installed ballast.

Fly High suggested to remove the flow rite fittings and fix the hose directly to the bag fitting with a hose clamp, which I will probably plan to do in lieu of another fix.

Stoppiesteve
07-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Has anyone experienced their ballast hoses coming off when the sacs are full? I have had this happen several time on both rear sides, with the outtake fitting coming off. I'm confident I have correctly installed the hoses. After several times of them coming off I've ensured I was connecting them correctly. The red collar is usually still engaged; they somehow manage to work themselves loose with the teeth and collar still engaged. The boat is a 2008 242 Gravity Games with factory installed ballast.

Fly High suggested to remove the flow rite fittings and fix the hose directly to the bag fitting with a hose clamp, which I will probably plan to do in lieu of another fix.

I just got a new (from inventory) 2011 242 and have a similar issue. My fill hose has repeatedly popped out, with the threads somehow still intact. After much review on my first day with the boat, it appears that either the dealer or supra screwed the hose clamp to the rear compartment in the port side ballast area. This clamp is used to hold the overflow hose in place. However, when the ballast is filled it pinches the hose. From the dealer, my fill times were 4:30, which seems to overfill the ballast bag, and when the vent hose is pinched, the fill hose blows out the back! Anyone else see this?

kbckz
07-09-2013, 04:08 PM
I think I just realized what the problem is with mine; the bottom hoses (which I assume is the drain hose) is fixed to the inside bottom wall of the locker with a plastic collar that screwed to the wall, and as the sac inflates and gets taller, the hose can't move with it so naturally the break point is the quick release. The top hose is loose and free to move with the sac and has never come of. So thinking the solution is the remove the collar from each of the lower hoses so as the sacs fill, the hoses can move with them.

Another question; is the bottom hose the drain, and the top fill? Or is the bottom both fill and drain, with the top one being the vent?

figuring this out as I go ..... so thinking that when the sac gets full and needs to vent, that is vents through the drain hose, not the top, assuming the top is the fill (according to the owners manual). Since the drain hose obviously takes water out, I'm assuming that when the sac needs to vent that it follows the same hose 'out'.