PDA

View Full Version : Custom Wakeboard Tower Idea

z2smith
07-09-2013, 02:25 PM
So I have been giving some serious thought to designing my own tower to better match the style I am looking for. I have drawn and redrawn several different ideas, and this is the one closest to the design I want. It's not to any scale, just hand drawn out on a printed picture of my boat. Anyone on here know how to take a drawn idea and figure out the logistics of creating it for real? I am planning on making it out of 2" or 2.25" aluminum. I am thinking of making it so that the front two boat mounts release allowing you to fold the whole tower forward over the bow.

What are your thoughts and ideas? Let me know if you like it, or have ideas how to improve it. Don't be afraid to let me know if you hate it! Just be nice :grin:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/106172131654122694519/posts/cv8YTMwZZc7

wotan2525
07-09-2013, 02:36 PM
I think you're going to find that you'll need some serious skill/tools to make that yourself or you'll be paying someone with some serious skills and tools some serious money to make it for you.

Personally -- I think it's mounted on the boat backwards. That's just my opinion though.

crystal waters
07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
from an appearance point of view it is totally wrong! does nothing in terms of "flowing" with the lines of the boat etc.
Just the opposite in fact! love your idea of designing your own tower and folding forward etc but the lines just don't work for me.

2500HD
07-09-2013, 02:42 PM
I agree with wotan2525. I have never been a fan of towers that face the front(if that makes sense). That's just my personal opinion. The main problem you will have is getting your radius the same on both sides. That is unless you have or have access to a serious shop.

z2smith
07-09-2013, 03:23 PM
does nothing in terms of "flowing" with the lines of the boat

I would agree with you that it doesn't "flow," but I tend to lean towards the forward slanted towers for two reasons. One, I like the look a little better, and two it is stronger, from a physics side of things - not that other towers are weak by any means.

In terms of lines of the boat I was really trying to find a way to mimic the lines of the windshield which is what originally drew me to this particular year/style/brand of boat. Apparently I failed.

DAFF
07-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Looks like Rouge wave just overcame the boat from the stern. I love custom builds but this one is better left to the existing builders if you are working within a budget. There is a ton of options out there, just keep her classy.

haugy
07-09-2013, 04:16 PM
.............*scratches head*.........................*pondering response*.....................................

z2smith
07-09-2013, 05:00 PM
.............*scratches head*.........................*pondering response*.....................................

Don't act like you're not impressed! Haha. Early stages of designing, give me a break. And some pointers if you have any...if not I will accept your silent disapproval and excessive punctuation

jasun
07-09-2013, 05:32 PM
I think you should go more along the lines of the Skitastic........

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad38/jasunderland/craptastic_zpse82068f6.jpg (http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jasunderland/media/craptastic_zpse82068f6.jpg.html)

The lines flow so well and as far a strength goes, I wouldnt let my daughter play on a play set that didn't look like this!!!

z2smith
07-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow...that is...special. So apparently it's a bad idea to ask for wakeboard tower advice on this forum - unless it's in support of New Dimensions.

Ptownkid
07-09-2013, 05:52 PM
It's not a bad idea to ask...but you are going to receive honest answers and most people here won't pull any punches. If you like it...do it, plain and simple. Who gives a %$&# what anyone else thinks. However, i agree with the boys, it does not look very good right now, but that is simply a personal opinion.

wspeedin
07-09-2013, 06:57 PM
Honestly, it looks like the tower I put on my boat but backwards :)
If you are looking for a tower that looks like it belongs on the boat than the New Dimensions tower is the first choice. However, if that is too pricey, which it is, than look at the Roswell Area 51 tower. I installed it on my Saltare and it flows really well with the lines of the windshield. Atleast I think it does. I was surprised how well it looked on it.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/null_zps6bc16b7f.jpg

Salty87
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
So apparently it's a bad idea to ask for wakeboard tower advice on this forum - unless it's in support of New Dimensions.

i must admit this made me chuckle.

your design is unconventional so it shouldn't be surprising that most opinions differ. from a constructive standpoint, what are your design objectives?...strength and a different look are obvious but your concept looks similar to a backwards New Dimension. in that regard it's not terribly different.

dirtydawg
07-09-2013, 09:23 PM
The one photo I seen looks like you have a nice classic supra. Id like to see more pics of that alone. also its hard to believe you could put all that tubing together cheaper than buying one that will look great and even if you make it yourself you have to factor in your time.

gogger
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
There is a lot of fans for New Dimension towers, I like the swoop tower. And I almost went with New Dimension, but then someone I respect talked me out of it. I won't repeat what was said. I am really happy with my monster tower. I know a lot of people are against them. But I am happy with it. I kind of like where you are going with your design. But I don't like the top if it. I realize it is a rough design. You don't mention how you plan on building it, or if you have someone that is going to do it for you, and what you are planning on using for material.

It would probably be easier to buy one already made, but most of us on here haven't made the easier choices or we wouldn't have older Supras. Especially those that have redone their stringers themselves. Main thing is that you like your boat and enjoy it.

z2smith
07-09-2013, 09:51 PM
"...your design is unconventional so it shouldn't be surprising..." "...in that regard it's not terribly different."
-Kind of confusing but I think I know what your saying.

I wouldn't mind a New Dimensions tower but - A: They used too skinney of tubing IMHO and it makes them look wimpy which my Saltare does not look. -B: They cost too much for something I'm not that crazy about.

From a constructive standpoint my objectives are something that IS really strong, and looks strong. I favor the forward slanted design, so that's what I've been working on. I found a different forum that has helpful guides on making your own tower which I now realize is where I should have posted my idea originally haha.

z2smith
07-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Honestly, it looks like the tower I put on my boat but backwards :)
If you are looking for a tower that looks like it belongs on the boat than the New Dimensions tower is the first choice. However, if that is too pricey, which it is, than look at the Roswell Area 51 tower. I installed it on my Saltare and it flows really well with the lines of the windshield. Atleast I think it does. I was surprised how well it looked on it.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/null_zps6bc16b7f.jpg

Thanks for the advice! I have heard some negative thins about New Dimensions as well...I like the look of the tower you put on your Saltere!! Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that. Do you know if it comes in black?

2500HD
07-09-2013, 10:04 PM
I have an air boom tower on my salt. it's more angular than most but that is what i like.....got lucky in that it came that way. if the tower doesn't come in black you could always powder coat it. I do love the fact you want to do it yourself though! i'm all about DIYhttp://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/IMAG0338_zpsbf5b11cb.jpg

haugy
07-09-2013, 10:23 PM
Wow...that is...special. So apparently it's a bad idea to ask for wakeboard tower advice on this forum - unless it's in support of New Dimensions.

Now I'll throw this out there, even though I have a ND tower, I'm not a ND fanboy. I'm very open to other companies designs, and hope many more come out with comparable towers. By comparable I mean in fit, finish, and clean style. Everyone has their own idea of what looks good. But I've rarely seen a more cleanly welded, shaped, and fit tower than ND. That's why I bought mine.

But there are companies out there that now have time under their belt and are making better towers everyday. The reason I made my comment was because quite honestly it looks god awful. I think if you want a reverse flowing tower, then fine, but that is a bad one. Bring the legs together, create matching radius legs that flow at the same curve rate and maybe you can clean it up. But staggering the legs like that it does just look like someone put a tower on backwards.

Keep trying. Sometimes you have to put every idea out there to narrow it down to final design.

z2smith
07-09-2013, 10:31 PM
Bring the legs together, create matching radius legs that flow at the same curve rate and maybe you can clean it up. But staggering the legs like that it does just look like someone put a tower on backwards.

Thanks! That is helpful.

TitanTn
07-09-2013, 11:05 PM
You stated two reasons for wanting to use this type of design: 1) you just like it, and 2) you feel that it's stronger. Well, no one can argue with the first point. That's your choice. But I urge you to not consider the second option too seriously. Stronger for strong's sake does not add value. You only need it so strong. Sure you can always make something stronger, but it is worth it? Do you get value for the effort/cost? Likely not. It's needs to be strong enough, and it's obviously quite easy to make a standard orientation tower "strong enough."

Personally, there are precious few forward facing towers that I like, but none of them fit the lines and style of an older boat. Supra or otherwise.

z2smith
07-10-2013, 08:57 AM
I have an air boom tower on my salt. it's more angular than most but that is what i like.....got lucky in that it came that way. if the tower doesn't come in black you could always powder coat it. I do love the fact you want to do it yourself though! i'm all about DIYhttp://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a494/2500hd1/IMAG0338_zpsbf5b11cb.jpg

I would totally put that tower on my boat, where did you get it? I tried searching for it but find nothing as angular, which I also like. Thanks

2500HD
07-10-2013, 09:34 AM
It came with the boat and apparently was installed back in 05, so i'm pretty sure it has been discontinued.

haugy
07-10-2013, 09:53 AM
I would totally put that tower on my boat, where did you get it? I tried searching for it but find nothing as angular, which I also like. Thanks

So are you looking for something more rigid in appearance versus smooth flowing? That one looks like the design one of the FCT (flight control tower) that was on the Super Air Nautiques. They are rigid in shape, but always looked so great on them. Look at an 02-03 Super Air Nautique (SAN).

Aw hell, here:

http://photos.ecarlist.com/Nf/je/pe/R9/aY/j9/Eh/zU/a2/7y/hw_640.jpg

http://www.hiwtc.com/photo/products/39/00/62/6282.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z271/RainDog911/2002%20Super%20Air%20Black%20Python/2002SuperAirMed1.jpg

z2smith
07-10-2013, 11:37 AM
That one looks like the design one of the FCT (flight control tower) that was on the Super Air Nautiques.

...Yup. That would do nicely. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for a ND tower haha. If I decided to go that route, would that tower even fit on my boat since it is designed for the Nautique's? That may be something I'd have to ask ND. I might otherwise just try and copy the basic design of that one and use thicker pipe to get the look I want.

haugy
07-10-2013, 12:08 PM
I might otherwise just try and copy the basic design of that one and use thicker pipe to get the look I want.

That was where I was heading. You could easily build something like that if you are an experience tube fabricator. Are you?

jzelt
07-10-2013, 01:52 PM
Another issue to consider, how do you access the mount to put the rope on. Current rear-facing towers, you can stand on the bench-seat to put the rope up. On forward-facing, I would imagine you have to stand on a passenger seat or the walk-thru if you so have one.

z2smith
07-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Sorry if this question has been answered, but is it possible to properly install a tower on my 87 Saltare without removing the cap? I have read every thread I can find on here and still don't have a solid answer. I believe I have found the tower I will use (not 100% decided though): http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/h2o/
Anyone on here have experience with this company or better yet this tower? Price seems good, and styling looks like it should be decent.

wotan2525
07-11-2013, 12:12 AM
On your upholstered side panels -- once you remove them you'll either find a big-ass hole, or you can cut a big-ass hole. The front mounts can be accessed the same way -- behind the upholstery or with long arms through the speaker holes.

jeffkaasmason
07-11-2013, 12:56 AM
I was thinking about buying one but I went with the Airborne Tower (http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-towers/aerial-wakeboarding-airborne-pa.asp) and am quite happy with it. The price is pretty high on their site right now but they discount it on a regular basis. It is best to call them and see what kind of deal you can get. That is if you like the style. I like mine and it is solid. I did not have to take the cap off of my 92 Sunsport and I don't think that would ever be necessary. I did have to cut one hole in the back wall of the compartment that is in front of the spotter seat. I just used a 5.5" hole saw and that gave me enough room to get some blocking in for the front bracket. The other brackets and backing were easy to get to from below steering console and by removing the access panels on the sides in the back of the boat.

I got the Airborne Tower Package 2 with Mirror thrown in as well for $1,465.00 including shipping. So that gave me the two racks, two speakers, the mirror, the Airborne Tower with the the tow point light, and the wiring that runs inside the tower. I switched the combo rack from kneeboard/wakeboard to surf/wakeboard. H2O Sports Warehouse does compete with Big Air and so they are most likely going to give you a decent price if you are considering their competition.

I don't have any good pictures of the boat with tower and all accessories installed but here is one without the speakers.

z2smith
07-12-2013, 12:41 AM
Okay, so attempt number two. https://plus.google.com/u/0/106172131654122694519/posts/91JdvTnCkV6
I have decided with the help of many of you on here, as well as the one who has the final say, the boss, to go with a traditionally oriented tower. I found a local fabricator who has built a couple other towers for people and can give me a pretty good deal he says. So I have taken my design a little more seriously this time and imported it into my drafting software which allows me to make proper angles, and radii, and such. Also makes it easier for the fabricator to take his dimensions, which is why they are displayed. I have tried to incorporate some concepts from the ND Supra, and Nautique's towers. I keep coming back to matching up the angles with the windshield, and obviously only showing one side of this thing makes it tough to get a feel for how it will look in real life. Once I get closer, I am going to make a mock-up tower out of re-bar to see if it's going to work before I pull the trigger on the real deal. Anyhow, let me know what you think, hopefully I can gain a little more support this time since I'm not trying to do anything quite so dramatic as a forward facing tower. I'm still looking for ideas on how to improve it though, so if you have any advice or suggestions - Much Appreciated!

TitanTn
07-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Personally, I like this better. Much better. My only suggestion is the make the top bar shorter. The "legs" are too far apart at the top.

Salty87
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
definitely looks better. you might slide the whole thing forward on the boat a few inches too keeping in mind your windshield needs to open and close.

also, your rear towers legs are pretty much right in the sweet spot for getting in and out of the boat on the trailer and at the dock. i'd shorten that span as well as the one titan mentions. with the way it's currently drawn, it dwarfs the boat imo. how high is the rope spool from the engine cover?...will you be able to reach it?

wspeedin
07-12-2013, 08:45 AM
Also, you have to remember that the Tow point needs to be right behind the drivers seat. Basically mimic the spot that the pylon tow point is. This is not terribly important but it is recommended by every manufacturer.

dirtydawg
07-12-2013, 09:03 AM
same as everyone else. too tall and too wide. otherwise it looks good. The more compact you make it the sturdier it will be

haugy
07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Sweet!!! A tuna tower. You should be able to spot lots of fish from up there..................:D

Much better design, as others have mentioned, bring the back leg forward a lot. And move the whole thing a few inches forward to clear your side window openings.

chrisk
07-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I personally think you should move the back legs further back, and then put more of a pronounced curve in the rear legs. I like how you've mimicked the shape of the windshield with those supports on the tower legs - the point where the front leg meets the top of that little "hoop" might be a good place to put a joint hinge, if you're planning on it folding forward.

Also, draw your next concept with thicker black lines, it will look more realistic and give you a better idea of what it will actually look like.

z2smith
07-13-2013, 05:45 PM
https://plus.google.com/u/0/106172131654122694519/posts/1AHgpkCPKxG
Everyone has been a huge help! Thanks for the helpful advice. I think I'm getting pretty close to a concept to send to my fabricator. This is the latest sketch, let me know if I should change anything else. I was concerned with how different of a tow point from the original ski pole it would be, and from my measurements it will be just about 1 foot behind the original, which I think I can live with. The height of the tower itself is 5'3". That puts the tower 7'6" from the floor of the boat to the first head knocker of the tower. I'm thinking this will be a good height to allow for speakers/lights, whatever else I feel the need for without creating a headache bar. I am planning on making it out of 2.25" or 2.5" aluminum. I plan on coming straight up from the boat on the sides so the windshield opening should be a non-issue. Once I get the basic side form down, I will start drafting up from the back angle but I want to get this right, so once again if you have any valuable advice I would greatly appreciate it!

haugy
07-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Whatever is surrounding the windshield frame contour, ditch it. You don't need that there and most likely will be in the way versus helpful. Looks like a good design other than that. What is plan for finished look? Brushed/bare aluminum or powder coat?

The boy
07-13-2013, 11:42 PM
that looks like one of the best towers i have seen i like it is not so far back that is one thing i dont like because the windshield is so short and i like the tower shorter

dirtydawg
07-13-2013, 11:57 PM
I have to agree with haugy. outlining the windshield is too much. You want the tower to flow with the natural lines, not outline...

TitanTn
07-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I have to agree with haugy. outlining the windshield is too much. You want the tower to flow with the natural lines, not outline...

Not to mention that it's going to be hard to follow those contours exactly and your perspective on them will change depending on your viewing angle. It's rare you'd be perfectly positioned to see them lines up.