PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Supra Rider vs. Supra Sunsport

08-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Hi all,

i would like to buy an "old" (1985( Supra Sunsport or Supra Rider. They are about the same size and look very similar. Do they share the same hull? AFIK the Supra Sunsport hull is the same as the original Supra Launch, so it should produce nice wakes when weighted. Same with the Rider?

Ragards,
Tom

87SunSportMikeyD
03-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Tom - Yes both boats will make a rockin wake when weighted. The surf wake is awesome! If you can, go with the SunSport. It has a much larger observers seat and more storage. Otherwise they are pretty much the same. If you want to ask some specific questions, give Supra a call they are very friendly. Sorry no one replied to your post before now. PM me if you want! WakeMikey

Okie Boarder
03-24-2009, 03:11 PM
I've heard that the Rider is one to stay away from. I don't know all the details as to why, but I understood it to be a different hull than the Sunsport. The Sunsport did basically become the Launch. Today they have the Launch series and the Sunsport series. It was described to me that any of the SSV Supras are roughly based upon the older Sunsport hulls with V drives in them.

Do some more research and see what you can find. haugy, on wb.com is really knowledgeable with the older Supras. He and one other told me to stay away from the Rider and I'm sure he could point out why to you.

87SunSportMikeyD
03-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Is this Zach from WW and this thread? http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/680532.html?1238016163

Here is Haugy talking about models and the Rider a bit too. He says they are different hulls. I really wouldn't think it would be a whole lot different, but I have not seen one in person.

<<
vguy75, I will measure my Mariah this weekend. And get that for you.
I've driven each one of the Supra boats all the way up to 2000 models.
You have to find the medium on what you want. Room, comfort, smooth ride? Or power and handling? The Comps and Mariahs are excellent in power and handling due to their smaller and lighter size. The Sunport and Saltare are the bigger more roomy and smoother riding of the pack.

But from what it sounds like your looking for.......Sunsport or Saltare hands down.
Both of these boats provide excellent room and comfort. The Saltare is the biggest of the classic Supra line. And I wouldn't go any older than 88. The preferred years are 89-91.

My Mariah does not fare well in chop in terms of speed, and doesn't ride any better. The sunsports do much better in terms of ride. Neither one is designed to go flying through the chop, but the Sunsports weight and freeboard help it out a ton. The Mariah will get up and run like a banshee in glass. Top speed with my prop is 43mph. A better high end prop you should be running 45-46mph.

I know you're looking for ski more than wakeboard. Even with the Sunsport you can dial in the trim tab and minimize that wake. While my mariah makes only a ripple at slalom speed, the sunsport is not that much more. But regardless of the boat, if you have a full crew of family and gear, either boat is not going to be performing at optimum slalom level. So will you be behind the boat all day or in it? Which one would you rather have be more comfortable?

The sunsports have ample power for a slalom skiier, the power comes into question when you start adding weight for wakeboarding. They come from the factory with 351w in them. But there are still a handful out there with the sought after 454 engine.

Avoid the Rider. While it's a good hull, if you are going to be putting a beating on it, the interior is not going to appreciate it. You'll be tightening screws left and right, and you'll have to make sure your floor is 100% solid. Supra hadn't quite gotten slalom boats dialed in at this time.

Suprahunter, again, I truely love looking at your boat. Not only is it a meticulously beautiful Sunsport, but that color is the color of my first Supra. My Comp. I would kill to have a Sunsport in as good of condition as yours, in my fire red color that I own now.
>>