PDA

View Full Version : emptying gas tank?

Geary101
07-12-2013, 10:36 AM
How do you guys get all the gas out of the tank?

Tried a syphon hose, but it gets blocked when going down thru the gas filler tube.

Boat is running a little rough, thinking it is bad gas and want it out of there.

e

haugy
07-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Siphon is the way I always do it. I just did it last weekend on my boat to measure dry height in the water.

It took me about 5 minutes to get that sucker to line up and feed into it, just takes some tries. Look at how your fuel hose enters the tank. Try to bend the siphon hose to contour that shape.

Geary101
07-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Siphon is the way I always do it. I just did it last weekend on my boat to measure dry height in the water.

It took me about 5 minutes to get that sucker to line up and feed into it, just takes some tries. Look at how your fuel hose enters the tank. Try to bend the siphon hose to contour that shape.

Thanks!

The hose I was trying to use is ~ 1/2" in diameter. Was the one you used thinner?

yes, we are comparing the size of our hoses :)

haugy
07-12-2013, 11:06 AM
My hose is black so it gets in anywhere....................................

I'd say mine is about the same diameter. If you can see down into your tank from the fuel filler port you may be able to sight guide it in. I was about to try a coat hanger to send down with it to try and move it around if I couldn't get it to work.

If all else fails, if you can see your tank(I had my rear hatch storage bin out) you can remove the filler hose from the tank and put the siphon in that way. But I have no idea if you can do that on your Moomba. Mine is WAY older.

Salty87
07-12-2013, 01:44 PM
great timing, just pulled my tank for this very reason. want it completely drained to start over with 100% fresh.

sub floor? you'll need to pump it out or have your receptacle below the tank level. i've read about people buying 12v gas pumps designed for this but our tanks aren't too hard to pull so that's what i did.

maybe pull the fuel line before the pump. how many gallons?

haugy
07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
maybe pull the fuel line before the pump. how many gallons?

That's actually a great idea. If the pump is gravity fed you can run the hose out the center keel drain and into a receptacle.

wotan2525
07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Good luck getting the filler hose off -- I had to sawzall mine off.

You'd be better off pulling out the fuel level sender. This gets you a plenty big hole to siphon out of.

Salty87
07-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Good luck getting the filler hose off -- I had to sawzall mine off.

if you lift the other end of the tank until it's setting on the topcap the hose almost takes itself off. obviously helps to have as little gas in it as possible. i had about 6 gallons and none spilled.

Geary101
07-15-2013, 01:14 PM
I ended up buying a manual syphon pump from Home Depot for $11.95. That did the trick.

I removed the filler hose from the gas tank - (very easy to do. 2 clamps and a little twisting) and put the hose directly into the gas tank.

Drained 10 gallons out of the tank.