PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Decision Assistance

shaskell
07-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi All,

I have a '92 Sunsport which I just replaced the windshield on and have gone through the boat pretty extensively. On the 4th of July, I was rear ended while at a stop light by a pickup truck. The driver was cuffed and hauled off. DUI. He's still in jail. The boat was totaled by my insurance company and they let me have it for $750.

Now to the decision. I've located a '93 sunsport virtually identical to my boat with 800 hrs on it which needs work. The steering cable needs replacing. There's damage to the gel coat and the boat has rips in the vinyl, etc. In general, it hasn't been taken care of. I test drove the boat 2 days ago and the engine runs fine. The steering is horrible which is to be expected.

Second boat is a '91 Mariah. Boat is with a dealer and looks pristine. I haven't seen it yet but am going to visit it tonight.

Here are my thoughts:

1. I can have the Mariah in the water very quickly and enjoy the rest of the boating season with my kids.
2. The Mariah won't be the same boat that the Sunsport is for wake.
3. The Mariah has wood stringers. I could be in for a rebuild. I will check the motor mounts when I inspect it.
4. The Sunsport can be fixed up.
5. I have enough spare parts from my existing boat to replace everything on either boat except the hull.

Final question for consideration of the group. Has anyone had experience rebuilding the transom of a crashed sunsport? I'll try to post a couple of pictures.

Thanks and I really enjoy this group.

Steve125861258712588

Salty87
07-12-2013, 06:28 PM
that really sucks but doesn't sound like you'll end up too bad afterward. i think you'd be nuts to take the 91 over the 93 especially if you can easily replace everything that needs fixing.

the transoms on these boats are pretty basic. they don't need to be as robust as an i/o. however, the ends of the stringers may have gotten a little smushed. fiberglass is very repairable and although that tear on the driver's side looks nasty i bet it can be fixed. definitely a job for a pro i think and depends on how the damage looks from the inside.

must have been a hard hit to rip through the corner of the hull. was she strapped down? looks like she has a little damage on the front end too?

2500HD
07-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Looks like he pushed the boat forward by almost 18inches. I would inspect the front of the boat just like salty said.

shaskell
07-12-2013, 08:18 PM
The state trooper figures the guy might have been going as fast as 25 MPH when he hit me. If it hadn't been for the nylon straps on the transom, I'm absolutely certain my boat would have launched into my pickup. As it was, he drove the boat about 2 feet up the trailer when he hit. He actually crunched part of my trailer too. Luckily, it was just myself and my 18 year old son in the front seat. No injuries. At the end of the day, that's really the only thing that matters. The boat and the truck are just things. I'm so glad I didn't have the truck full of kids. We usually have 5 kids in the truck and me when we're heading to the lake.

Now all I have to do is figure out what to do for another boat so I can salvage the rest of the summer. Thanks for the input.

I had previously studied your rebuild pictures. Nice job both on the rebuild and the documentation. It was actually your pictures that encouraged me to consider the Mariah with the wooden stringers.

shaskell
07-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Yea, I'm thinking of having a professional glass guy look at the boat and give me his take. For $750 though I can't complain. I just put a new alternator on her, new halon system, two new batteries, new starter motor and... and two days before the wreck sank $800 into a new carburetor. I'll probably have it rebuilt and sell it or swap everything out onto the other boat and sell what's left. Not sure yet. It depends on what I end up with but, I do love the Supra. I'm in Seattle and was actually thinking of driving to Park City, UT where there's an identical Supra for sale that they're asking $10K for. 350 Hrs. on it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy at work now and can't afford to take a 3 day road trip.

Thanks for the reply.

crystal waters
07-12-2013, 11:01 PM
here you go!
ONE days drive each way ( 6 hours each way)
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/1998_supra_sunsport_open_bow_tournament_ski_boat/1632621/

CornRickey
07-13-2013, 02:02 AM
how much did that piss you off? I would have cried (real men cry over important things) then I would have beat him.

shaskell
07-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Crystal,

That's a SWEET boat. Thanks for locating it.

I have located another boat that involves a road trip. This one to Park City, UT. The boat may sell quicker than I can react though due to the price. I'm swamped at work right now and couldn't cut out for a road trip for at least another week. Great price though.

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/boa/3925430782.html

Thanks for looking on my behalf.

Steve

shaskell
07-13-2013, 10:13 AM
CornRickey,

My first reaction was concern for my son. When I saw that he was OK, I got out of the truck and started back to the other driver. Before I got there, a very large woman that was following the SOB that hit me had gone up to his truck and as he was attempting to get out I clearly remember her saying, "You sit in that truck and don't move!! The police will be here any minute!!" and she was pointing her finger at the guy like if you even think about opening this door, I'm going to F_____ kill you. I swear she was at least twice as mad as I was. So, I didn't even talk to the guy. Didn't want to. The state troopers arrived onsite within minutes and I never spoke to the guy. Probably just as well. I might have been arrested for assault. :)

Steve

shaskell
07-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Yea, I think it's a no brainer. I'm taking my boat to a really good glass guy this morning to get his final verdict, then I'm off to take another look at the composite.

You have a sweet boat. I loved the picture of the two red Supra's back to back.

The fact that my insurance company let me have my boat for $750 blows me away. If my glass guy believes he can fix it, the worst thing will be the summer I've lost on the lake which really blows but, who knows what might have happened that isn't going to now. Know what I mean?

Steve

CornRickey
07-13-2013, 11:30 AM
take the settlement, buy.a boat, use it for the summer and sell it then use the hard money to get it fixed over.the winter

crystal waters
07-13-2013, 12:03 PM
boat has been for sale for two months up here. appears real clean but tough economy at present.
Dont let one week hold you back. Even before you dicker on price remember you get 5% off as your dollar is stronger than ours at present.

Salty87
07-13-2013, 02:20 PM
here you go!
ONE days drive each way ( 6 hours each way)
http://classifieds.castanet.net/details/1998_supra_sunsport_open_bow_tournament_ski_boat/1632621/

good grief...98 w/perfect pass, tower, hydraulic wakeplate, heater, gt40...great price for all of that.

shaskell
07-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Crystal,

That does look like a sweet boat. I didn't realize it was so close. Google says it's only a 6 hour drive and it looks like there are no issues with customs, etc. Your point about the currency exchange is a good one. I'm putting it on the list.

On another note, my fiberglass guy is looking at my boat. I should know very shortly if he can rebuild it and, if so, at what cost. In the meantime, I need a boat.

Stay tuned and thanks for the assistance.

Steve

Ptownkid
07-14-2013, 07:39 AM
That does look like a pretty sweet boat...but I don't think i'd pay 19k with no tower when you can get a 99 or 00 launch for around the same. I truly can't believe that they were STILL making teal boats in 98. Good luck dude!

gogger
07-14-2013, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE I truly can't believe that they were STILL making teal boats in 98. Good luck dude![/QUOTE]
Ouch that hurts.

crystal waters
07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
i5 to bellinham and over to Sumas crossing-thru h
Hope B C on the Coquihalla hwy to Merritt to Kelowna and 20 misn more to Winfield B C ( aka Lake Country)
Sumas to Kelowna is 3,5 hours--all four lane.

Ptownkid
07-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Ouch that hurts.

Don't feel too bad...both my boats are teal...but the saltare is getting painted. To each their own, i think teal is awful. haha.

crystal waters
07-15-2013, 11:25 AM
as you said each to their own

trayson
07-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Damn, your sunsport was clean!

If you end up parting it at all, I'd be interested in knowing how much you'd want for the windshield center piece. My frame is fine, but my glass is cracked and it'd be nice to have that fixed...