PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Sunsport - speedos not working and engine belts squealing

rapiddarby
07-14-2013, 09:49 AM
I just bought a 1995 Supra Sunsport! Its got 1045 Hours on a GT-40 5.8L engine. I have some work tio do on it, but it runs pretty good right now. The speedometers do not work and the guy i bought it from said they never did when he first got it either. I really want them to work - can anyone tell me what to check for to see if i can find the problem> I am not very mechanical, but I can learn. Also there is a squealing coming from the belt in the engine at higher speeds. There is also rubber that is building up on the engine near the belt - indicating that the belt is shredding? -- The guy I bought the boat from said that the alternator belt broke and he replaced it, but he got the wrong size... the tension on the alternator is adjusted all the way as tight as it will go and it seems like it is still possibly too loose... This may be a dumb question, but how do i determine what belt to get ? how do I determine the right belt and where do i get it and how do i replace it? do I need any special tools?

I sold a 1989 Mastercraft tristar 190 in order to get this boat ... I am REALLY wanting to try to set this boat up to wakesurf ...Is this a good boat for that?

villain
07-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Great boat to start surfing with. Pull the belt, take it to an auto parts store and get one an inch shorter. Might grab one that is two inches shorter just to save you a trip back.

For the speedo, make sure the pickups are not clogged. You can unhook at the back of the gauges and blow backwards through the pickup hose.

rapiddarby
07-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Great boat to start surfing with. Pull the belt, take it to an auto parts store and get one an inch shorter. Might grab one that is two inches shorter just to save you a trip back.

For the speedo, make sure the pickups are not clogged. You can unhook at the back of the gauges and blow backwards through the pickup hose.

...Thanks, I will "pull the belt" ...Do I need any special tools to makes sure when I put a new one on that it is tight enough? How tight should it be? and do I just get it tight by adjusting the tension on the alternator by pushing by hand? - Sorry if these are dumb questions

For the speedos ... "unhook at the back of the guages"? ...you mean down at the stern where it is connected to the hull of the boat? - I'll try that -

villain
07-14-2013, 10:54 AM
For the belt you should only need common house tools. There is guides online for belt tension. I would tell you how tight I make mine, but being a mechanic you end ip getting a feel for it. I want to say its like 1/2-3/4" deflection on the long side.

For the gauges it is common for weeds and junk to get forced into the pitot tubes. I usually pull the Jose off at the back of the gauges and blow backwards through the system.

rapiddarby
07-14-2013, 12:28 PM
For the belt you should only need common house tools. There is guides online for belt tension. I would tell you how tight I make mine, but being a mechanic you end ip getting a feel for it. I want to say its like 1/2-3/4" deflection on the long side.

For the gauges it is common for weeds and junk to get forced into the pitot tubes. I usually pull the Jose off at the back of the gauges and blow backwards through the system.

"pull the hoses off at the back of the guages" ... not really sure what you mean... "at the back of the guages"? on the stern of the boat? do I literally just pull? do I need to unscrew something? how do I accomplish this? ---At the back of the guages on the dash? -- I guess I don't understand how the system works

villain
07-14-2013, 12:41 PM
No worries. On the "pitot" or the pickup on the back of the boat, there is a small hole that allows the water pressure to travel up to the gauges. The faster you travel the more pressure there is. Essentially the speedos are just a pressure gauge. They have a long piece of tubing that connect the pitot to the gauges. It is common for this line to get clogged with algae, small pieces of drift wood, sand, etc. the best way is to start at the pitot and make sure it is clear with the hose disconnected. If its clear, check the hose for a clog by unhooking it at the back of the gauges and blowing backwards through the system. Once all clear hook back up and lake test. If it still doesn't work the gauge is the likely culprit.

Here is a pic of a pitot. 12598

If your speed system is electric, there will be a paddle wheel on the bottom of the boat. Check for a broken wheel. They to get clogged with stuff.

Here is a pic of a paddle wheel

rapiddarby
07-14-2013, 02:30 PM
OK ... I don't have a paddle wheel I have pitot.... The hose goes all the way to the guages at the dash?
... I unhook at the dash to blow through backwards?

rapiddarby
07-14-2013, 02:41 PM
How do I un-hook the hose from the pitot? It seems stuck - I try to unscrew and it doesn't come off

villain
07-14-2013, 03:25 PM
It will take some working at it but they should come off. Make sure to be careful and don't break the pitot. They can be fragile. And yes, the hose runs all the way to the dash.