PDA

View Full Version : ballast under side seats

Kpsupra
07-14-2013, 09:25 PM
I have an 06 Supra launch 21v and was wondering if any of you guys have every played around with putting ballast bags running up the sides of the back of the boat, underneath the cushions, where the cooler and ski locker is? Some of the people that come out on the boat don't like the extra ballast bags on top of the seats.

villain
07-14-2013, 09:54 PM
I do that every time I use one of the boats from my shop. Typically the sacs don't fill up as much, but it helps with the seating.

Kpsupra
07-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Awesome. What size bag are you throwing under there?

villain
07-14-2013, 10:02 PM
Typically a 650. It only fills about half way though.

spydermonkey
07-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I have cut out the cooler and put a 370 tube sac under that side perfect fit

Kpsupra
07-14-2013, 11:41 PM
Thats what im going to end up doing. The cooler is crap anyway a portable one would be way better.

domyweb73
07-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Hi guys,
Following this thread, I invite you to take a look to the set-up I’ve made up with WakeMakers.com team's recommendations.
• Back compartment : 2 x Pro X Series Jumbo V-Drive Surf Sac - W719: 1100 lbs (each)
• Left side (replacing cooler) : 1x Pro X Series Tube Sac - W704 : 370 lbs
• Under front seats: 2 x Pro X Series V-Drive Wake Surf Sac - W713: 400 lbs (each)
• Center locker: 1 x Center Gravity Games Sac - W842: 1180 lbs
• Top of rear seat: 1 x Pro X Series Fat Sac - W707: 750 lbs +
Next stage will be to upgrade pump system to make every sac independent, in order to maximize boat's weighting flexibility.

12728`

Kma4444
07-25-2013, 09:26 AM
That should cover all the bases as far as how much weight you would ever need!!!!! If that doesn't do it you might start stacking tungsten blocks in it :)

What do you surf with? How much weight and where.

Thanks

Kpsupra
08-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Domyweb73. I think I'm about to put in that setup plus a bag behind the driver side locker (I'm goofy). I'm going to start by pluming in one ballast puppy pump with 4 hoses to each bag with a ball valve just before the bag. This is going to be the temporary setup to last the end of summer. Then in the winter I'm converting the old ballast to run the middle and how bags and then three individual pumps to run the center and two corners.

Smitty75
08-16-2013, 11:48 AM
Does the 1100 lb bag hurt anything in the rear locker? I know a lot of people reinforce the engine side panel, but I read a post about someone getting fiberglass damage from overfilling.

The boy
08-16-2013, 07:53 PM
are the bags under the front seats plumed?

Kpsupra
08-17-2013, 09:20 PM
I haven't plumbed them in quite yet. Still trying to figure out the best way to do it.

The boy
08-17-2013, 10:14 PM
ok let us know and include pics

villain
08-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Smitty,I have seen people bring in boats where the top cap is split from the hull from people over filling sacs stuffed in tight places. A ballast puppy can create a ton of pressure on the boat.

Kpsupra
08-18-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm going to be using the stock setup to fill the extra bags and also make sure that the bags I put in the lockers can full expand and still have plenty of enough room so as not to add pressure. Ill start working on the system after Labor Day weekend. Pics to come shortly after.

phathom
09-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Smitty,I have seen people bring in boats where the top cap is split from the hull from people over filling sacs stuffed in tight places. A ballast puppy can create a ton of pressure on the boat.

On that note, having a proper sized bag that can fully fill in the compartment it is in (and not relying on half filling it) is best. We run a 370 tube sack under the rear seat of a 92 Sunsport that only has space to fill up to about 250. We have forgot to turn the pump off and actually had it not only pop the seat cushions up, but also strip out the screws for the supports and bulge out the base of the seat. Interesting day when that happened, but educational. Still have it there, but now monitor it closely as it's easy to forget you left the pump on if you're not watching it until it's too late.

trayson
09-04-2013, 05:14 PM
On that note, having a proper sized bag that can fully fill in the compartment it is in (and not relying on half filling it) is best. We run a 370 tube sack under the rear seat of a 92 Sunsport that only has space to fill up to about 250. We have forgot to turn the pump off and actually had it not only pop the seat cushions up, but also strip out the screws for the supports and bulge out the base of the seat. Interesting day when that happened, but educational. Still have it there, but now monitor it closely as it's easy to forget you left the pump on if you're not watching it until it's too late.

Better option is to have a vent tube coming off the top. That is in the works and should be in within a week...

Kpsupra
09-19-2013, 11:12 AM
So I finally put the the extra bags under the ski locker seats. I went with the fly high pro series side sac W703. I ended up buying two jabsco ballast puppies and ran those to the 750's i have in the back lockers and put two switches near the cup holder. I then ran the fill hoses from the stock system up to the bags in the ski lockers. for the drains i just extended the hoses. i eventually plan on moving the drain pumps closer to the bags. i didnt take out the cooler on the port side so i just put the bag laying in front of it. Its only an extra 260 lbs a side but it seemed to make a big difference. It was just me and my dad over the weekend we had the center filled full 1100, rear right surf sack full 750, middle right full 260, and one of the old 400's on the right side leaning over the right ski locker. It was actually the best stbd wave we have had on the boat. Ill try to remember to tack pics this weekend.