PDA

View Full Version : goofy question

dirtydawg
07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
I ride a wakeboard and surfboard regular footed but my boat throws a much better goofy wave. Is riding a surfboard really that side specific? I'm having trouble staying in the pocket and I wonder if it is because my back is to the wave riding on the wrong side.

wotan2525
07-15-2013, 10:11 AM
Yes, it makes a big difference.

Surfing is almost exclusively done with your hips, knees and ankles. Remove your ankles from that equation and you just made it (at least) 30% harder.

One of my best friends is a goofy surfer -- unfortunately, he's never owned or had access to a boat with a goofy wave. He's adapted and can surf as well as almost anyone on a regular wave while riding heel side. In fact, the one time we did get out on a goofy wave, he had no idea what he was doing.

I'd say he's the exception, though. You're going to have a tough time as a beginner learning how to surf that way. Regardless -- it took me about a year to "ride" the wave comfortably without the rope. Keep at it and you'll make progress eventually!

2500HD
07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
You want your toes to the wave. Whenever i have my heals to the wave they are in the water and creating a lot of drag. That's probably why your having trouble with the pocket.

dirtydawg
07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, guess I need to work on my regular wave because I can't ride goofy at all on a surfboard.

2500HD
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
Thanks guys, guess I need to work on my regular wave because I can't ride goofy at all on a surfboard.
you may want to try a wake shaper, me being goofy and my boat liking the regular side wake it made a big difference. with just a little kick it cleaned up the wake and lengthened it. But don't use very much kick or you will lose the push.

Amateurhour
07-17-2013, 01:40 AM
I'm a goofy rider too, got tired of switching my boat back and forth seeing as how I was the only one of my buddies that rides goofy. Tried it regular with left foot forward and turned out I could do it just as good. Also was the first one to do a 360 and Ollie off the wake. Maybe try just riding the other way?

dirtydawg
07-17-2013, 09:26 AM
yeh, I think with some more practice I'll be able to ride switch. It only makes sense if I can on a wakeboard I should be able to surfing. My boat naturally favors goofy riders.

NorCalPR
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM
It's because of prop rotation. If you own a SN or a Mastercraft, you have a great regular wave, but the goofy wave is harder.

dirtydawg
07-17-2013, 10:47 PM
thats what I thought made the difference. Don't really want to attach any wake shaping device so I will try adding more ballast and just learn to ride it.

2500HD
07-18-2013, 08:05 AM
It's because of prop rotation. If you own a SN or a Mastercraft, you have a great regular wave, but the goofy wave is harder.
This is actually backwards. They naturally throw a goofy wave due to right hand prop rotation. Or it use to be this way.

Zim
08-02-2013, 02:51 PM
MC props turn the same way as supra props. The CC's are the weird RH rotation props.

The answer to your problems with the goofy wave lies in how much weight is in the boat. Give it some more weight and you'll have a surfable wave.

My boat surfs great on both sides... I surf goofy and have a great wave with the right weight combo. What kind of boat do you have?

dirtydawg
08-03-2013, 11:24 PM
87 sunsport. I pretty sure I'm under weighted, only one fat sac under rear bench and usually 3 or 4 bodies here and there. about 1000# total

phathom
09-04-2013, 03:49 PM
Being newer to this, and regular foot on the regular side, I noticed I would always fall out of the pocket, even when we got it weighted right and the speed down, I would still fall out. I found out that even though I had my feet in the "right" position, and was leaning forward, I still didn't have enough drive going forward. I think this is because I'm a bigger guy and need more push than other guys. To compensate and correct for this, I moved my footing forward. So far forward that my back foot isn't on the rear traction pad and is actually on the rear of the front traction pad. My front foot is about 50/50 hanging off the front of the traction pad and onto the board surface. With my change in footing, my weight is shifted considerably towards the front of the board and I'm now getting the push and drive I need to stay in the wake. If you give it a shot, just don't try to go too far forward as it can make things very squirrely and you can pearl the nose easy which results in submarine time.

trayson
09-04-2013, 05:07 PM
87 sunsport. I pretty sure I'm under weighted, only one fat sac under rear bench and usually 3 or 4 bodies here and there. about 1000# total

Not enough weight.

I use this (370 + 750)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-lvavHAYiw0Q/Uh7RMxYivYI/AAAAAAAAO3o/gBYZ1p_5wEY/s800/20130828_190043.jpg
with another tube sack (250) under the rear seat...

To get this:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-5DYAMxDmLYo/UhJ_-e_ih3I/AAAAAAAAOz0/XijwOB557mA/s800/WP_20130817_024.jpg

trayson
09-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Being newer to this, and regular foot on the regular side, I noticed I would always fall out of the pocket, even when we got it weighted right and the speed down, I would still fall out. I found out that even though I had my feet in the "right" position, and was leaning forward, I still didn't have enough drive going forward. I think this is because I'm a bigger guy and need more push than other guys. To compensate and correct for this, I moved my footing forward. So far forward that my back foot isn't on the rear traction pad and is actually on the rear of the front traction pad. My front foot is about 50/50 hanging off the front of the traction pad and onto the board surface. With my change in footing, my weight is shifted considerably towards the front of the board and I'm now getting the push and drive I need to stay in the wake. If you give it a shot, just don't try to go too far forward as it can make things very squirrely and you can pearl the nose easy which results in submarine time.

Like this?
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aWmXIN1UghE/Uh7SYsT0NAI/AAAAAAAAO34/C0Uewh5evmE/s800/20130828_195045.jpg