PDA

View Full Version : looking at 1998 Saltare ....please help

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Alright guys, I currently own a 1987 Supra Marauder. Essentially it's the exact as the Sunsport, only it's closed bow and has the beast option. Chevy 454 with a 650 CFM Holly Carb. I've got a weak spot in the floor behind the driver's seat and the interior, although looks amazing from 10 feet away, is cracking at the seams. All original besides starter and a new Carb 2 years ago. She's leaning a bit in the water to the starboard side So I'm assuming the foam is saturated below the floor and she's just not popping out of the water like she used to or should...I love this boat, has a great wake and sounds amazing. A few spider cracks here and there. Usual areas, around the exhaust ports and one on the water line just imprint of the drivers window. Contemplated sending her to TN to get totally reworked, however I really wish it was an open bow.

Which leads me to my journey, BTW if and when I buy a new one the Marauder will be for sale!! Drove a few hours yesterday to look at a 1998 supra Saltare, beautiful boat from the OUTSIDE. Mirror finish, little to no scratches on the Hull. One gouge behind the fuel fill, looks like they nicked a dock while filling during wakes. It's got a brand new trans, upgraded from stock, new prop, prop shaft, trans oil cooler and all new hoses. Boasts the Chevy 350 with FUEL INJECTION. NADA says 330 hp, which is what my current 454 is rated as. Now I know these boats have composite stringers and the bottom of the seat cushions are composite as well. The interior is shot, and I mean shot. It's going to need all new vinyl due to not having a cover. Test drove the boat and she purrs, holeshot is very quick compared to my 454. NADA books the average retail of the boat for 19,000. This boat is priced fairly under that.

I'll need to add a tower, complete vinyl job, fix a couple gouges in the gunwhale, and it has a pretty bent tracking fin underneath as well, get a custom cover made, new gasket on the water pump since it's leaking, and other small misc items. I think the wake is a bit flatter than my Marauder and that saddens me a bit but I'm sure a little weight would help. The trailer, yeah it's practically mint condition!

So my questions are:

- What would a custom cover cost?
- What would a complete, vinyl job cost on average?
- What are some towers and costs?
- Can this boat produce a good wake for wakeboarding, comparable to a sunsport or launch?
- What type or can I still get a perfect pass for this boat?
- Are the seat bases (not cushions ) wood or composite?
- What are any known common problems with this boat?
- what's it going to cost for all these upgrades.....
- Finally what is it worth or hold out till I find a decent launch for 17-18G That needs less work ? I just lost out on a 99 launch for 15G and it was very nice!

Thanks for your insight all! I've got to figure out fast, I told the guy I'd get back to him in a couple days.

jasun
07-22-2013, 12:14 PM
I got a cover for my salt made at a local guy for 500. I have hear people say they have paid 900-1200. I did not use Sunbrella acrylic fabric, but the guy said I should get 5 to 7 years out of the vinyl cover i got.
Same guy quoted me 130 per cusion (not seat). I know people have said it is between 2400-4000 depending on your options for all new interior.

As far as towers, you can get your $800 monster tower or spend 3K on other models. I peronally like this one (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-25-Pro-Wake-Wakeboard-Tower-Boat-/290622510973?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43aa73977d)and it is right at 1000.

IIRC, everything on these is composite, except maybe the dog house base??

I would say you are looking between 5500 and 6500 for everything... just my opinion.

Someone on here once said that every boat is $12K boat whether you know it or not.... You could pay 8 for the boat and put another 6 into it or spend 16 on one that is ready to go, if you can find it...

As far as the wakes go, I love mine. I know people who ballast up their Salts and surf behind them. There are a lot of Salt owners on here who will chime in..

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Jasus,

Thanks for your input. I was figuring it would need about 4000 to get it back in shape. Guess it may be worth being 8000 under book price. BTW, I checked under all the seats, except for in the play pen, what's under those cushions?

What are you referring to as the dog house?

whammond
07-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Is this the same '98 saltare I posted in the classifieds?

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/3906110482.html

If so, Haugy had a good point that needs to be looked into (Why those specific parts were replaced essentially)
"Check out it's underbelly. New tranny, new prop shaft, new prop and only 416hrs. Sounds like someone hit something hard."

jasun
07-22-2013, 01:15 PM
What are you referring to as the dog house?

The engine Cover.

Jetlink
07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Is this the same '98 saltare I posted in the classifieds?

http://fredericksburg.craigslist.org/boa/3906110482.html

If so, Haugy had a good point that needs to be looked into (Why those specific parts were replaced essentially)
"Check out it's underbelly. New tranny, new prop shaft, new prop and only 416hrs. Sounds like someone hit something hard."

I am betting it is that same boat, especially if it has at least one bent tracking fin like the OP mentioned.

haugy
07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Bent tracking fin, on top of that driveline being replaced? Yep, WHAMMO.

Find out what he hit, and what he had done. Also see if he has the receipts. The cat is out of the bag so he shouldn't lie to you, much. But get under there with a good flashlight and look for cracks and variations in color that might show fiberglass repair. Check the strut and rudder for play.

We always say it, but with this boat. DO A LAKE TEST. DO NOT BUY WITHOUT ONE. If the seller won't let you lake test it, run away like the predator was on your ass.

First off, forget NADA. (No offense when I say this) But that is the worst thing to compare to when buying a boat. The boats value is what the market will bear. I've had NADA say my old Mariah was worth $5,000. When I sold it for three times that. I've had NADA tell the OP of my boat it was worth $8500, when the whole thing needs a full blown resto.

The boat is worth what the market value is. Take other boats of that age and type and CONDITION and compare. That's the kicker, condition. So many people harp on the hours. My Saltare has just over 250 hours on it. I had to pretty much rebuild the engine to get it to fire. When my Mariah sold it had almost 800 hours and would fire up instantly. My engine in my Jeep is from a 1989 Comp, and fires on the first bump, and you can bet it hasn't lived the "babied" life. But the overall condition of the boat is what counts.

I would bet this boat has had major repairs. Was it due to stupidity or bad luck? The tears on the seat probably means the guy doesn't take as good of care as it as it shows. It just happens to clean up well. Give me 5 days with any of your boats and I can make them look amazing. The only thing that would show would be defects or damage. So while it's shiny, that's easy to do.

Find out more about it's history, but right off the bat there is no way this boat is worth over $10,000 IMO. I'd get more details then leverage that against his price. Lake test it, and then you decide if it's worth the number you worked out. Me? I'd say $9000 would be about in the right area for that boat.

jasun
07-22-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd say $9000 would be about in the right area for that boat.

Hitting something aside, does the 350 vs the 454 add or lower the value? Also, would there be any power concerns with the 350?

haugy
07-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Hitting something aside, does the 350 vs the 454 add or lower the value? Also, would there be any power concerns with the 350?

Well in those boats, it could be either. My boat's 454 is rated at 330 horsepower. The 351w is rated at 240. A very noticeable difference in my boat. So the 454 would be the standard and a 351w would be a value loss.

But, in this boat the 350 is rated at 325hp. The 454 is rated at 395hp. While the 454 is more HP, the 350 is still right there with my 454. And will have better gas mileage and lower weight. While most want more weight, that's when you can control it (ballast). Overall weight is not desired.

So essentially the lower end motor is still up there in performance of my big motor. So you could have the bigger motor, and I'm betting that would make this boat LAUNCH!!! Or the smaller motor with the 325hp. My boat with 330hp still gets up pretty quick.

In short, I don't think it lowers the value. But you can show that it is the smaller motor and work that to your negotiations.

wotan2525
07-22-2013, 02:47 PM
I think the smaller motor being fuel injected will make it worth more than an older boat with a carb'd big block. I'd rather have the smaller FI engine, anyway.

I second what these guys say about the entire back end being replaced. Check the rudder -- if they hit something hard enough to mess up the transmission, I doubt the rudder is OK.

Of course, maybe they were just running a SS prop and hit a dead head and they've fixed everything that was broken/suspect. It wouldn't be a complete deal breaker for me -- it sounds like they've done the repair and as long as she doesn't leak from the rudder and the rudder doesn't have excess play, you should be fine.

AFAIK, the Saltare is the same lower hull as the Launch 24SSV always used. So you know, that with the right ballast, wakeplate settings and configuration it can throw a very decent wakeboard wake and a great surf wake. On mine, the wakeplate makes all the difference in the world and if this ones has a hydraulic one that would be best. Does it?

I paid $868 for a cover from SkiBoatCovers.com that is custom made for my boat, Sunbrella and with custom tower cut-outs. I couldn't find anything locally for double that.

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 03:20 PM
Owner stated, they rarely used the boat but maybe 5 times in the past few years. The interior is wrecked because the boat has had NO cover on it, besides a blue tarp they said. We all know how those tarps are.

For the running gear, the story was; They noticed the transmission slipping. Replaced the clutches in it and it didn't help. When they went to supra the OEM tranny was NLA and they had to upgrade to a newer style. Which, from what I understood meant the shaft had to be replaced as well. The rudder seems to be in good shape, I did jerk on it a few times and didn't feel any slack in it. I should have climed all the way under the boat and inspected the attachment of the tracking fin. Guess that would of told a lot but it was hot and it slipped my mind. I did lake test this boat. Had it out for about an hour. Didn't seem to be taking on any water. However the bilge was not empty prior to launching the boat. We previously ran the boat in his driveway and water from the hose was in the bilge. Due to inserting the hose into the trans cooler and letting the boat idle. I didn't notice hardly any scratches on the hull. Course if she hit something hard that might be because she was redone, too.

On the lake she tracks nice. A lot better than my maurader, which likes to torque steer with the throttle. This one didn't seem to do so. She did pop right out of the holeshot quite quick and planed out at around 45MPH. I did notice while driving straight, the steering wheel was upside down (supra logo) This engine has 330 HP which is the same HP for my 1987 454. So to me, i'm not losing HP from my boat to this one...although 395 would be nice, but my boat drinks fuel like its going out of style. I'm hoping the fuel injection helps that out.

When I went for a test ride, Owner suggested that I launch, drive and unlaunch the boat. Said he didn't have experience with inboards. Considering he backed the trailer down the ramp with a dock on its right side I agreed. We all know inboards torque steer in reverse. Had him reposition the trailer to the other side of the ramp, Side with the dock on the left and away we went. she idled smooth, but i did notice a diference in the shifter from mine. It doesn't click once when going into forward like mine when the transmission engages. so initially i pushed the shifter forward to feel the click but ended up giving it a little more than i expected and gave it a little too much. Sure different shifter i'm sure.

But I thank you all for the comments. Looks like I'll have to make another trip up there and look at her. I'll try to post all the pictures I have of it tomorrow or even tonight if i can get around to it. I'm not sold on the boat, i've still got my eyes open for others but I do like the Fuel injection, 23' open bow.

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 03:21 PM
The engine Cover.

No the engine cover is also Composite....same as on mine in the 87

jasun
07-22-2013, 03:55 PM
No the engine cover is also Composite....same as on mine in the 87

I mean the base the dog house sits on. Not the dog house itself

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 03:57 PM
I mean the base the dog house sits on. Not the dog house itself

Yes you are correct. That is wood. Thanks for reminding me of that.

wotan2525
07-22-2013, 04:40 PM
His explanation re: the running gear makes sense to me. The "new style" couplers require a "new style" prop shaft and once you go that far you might as well do the prop. Tranny cooler should be replaced when you replace the transmission. I think the boat looks really nice and the price is right.

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 04:42 PM
I may be too late, 20 days it's been listed and no often looked at it till me. Post about it online and someone is looking at in now, apparently with cash iin hand. If I miss out on another one I'm going to go crazy!

haugy
07-22-2013, 04:59 PM
AFAIK, the Saltare is the same lower hull as the Launch 24SSV always used. So you know, that with the right ballast, wakeplate settings and configuration it can throw a very decent wakeboard wake and a great surf wake. On mine, the wakeplate makes all the difference in the world and if this ones has a hydraulic one that would be best. Does it?

Nope, Launch and Saltare are different hulls. But it will still throw down with good weight.

His explanation re: the running gear makes sense to me. The "new style" couplers require a "new style" prop shaft and once you go that far you might as well do the prop. Tranny cooler should be replaced when you replace the transmission. I think the boat looks really nice and the price is right.

Yep, I agree. If that's true about the tranny replacement he should have paperwork to show it, or SC will have records of it. I'd confirm that it was a warranty failure, not a replacement purchase because he hit something. Bent fin, new tranny and shaft, that's sure is a coincidence. But I'm leery of most people and it takes a lot for me to give trust.

Don't worry about the cash in hand thing, that's an old tactic to hold on price. It may be true, it may not. But don't feel pressured by it. Whether he has cash in hand or not, he should still negotiate. I mean great the other guy has cash, was he going to pay with livestock? Offer him cash once you guys work out a number. Just say, I'll be paying cash, but we need to look at the price. Then you can decide whether or not to give in to his prices.

It is a nice boat, and if it all checks out about the transmission, and you are happy with it, only you can decide what's a fair price. Good luck man, keep us posted.

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Nope, Launch and Saltare are different hulls. But it will still throw down with good weight.

Yep, I agree. If that's true about the tranny replacement he should have paperwork to show it, or SC will have records of it. I'd confirm that it was a warranty failure, not a replacement purchase because he hit something. Bent fin, new tranny and shaft, that's sure is a coincidence. But I'm leery of most people and it takes a lot for me to give trust.

Don't worry about the cash in hand thing, that's an old tactic to hold on price. It may be true, it may not. But don't feel pressured by it. Whether he has cash in hand or not, he should still negotiate. I mean great the other guy has cash, was he going to pay with livestock? Offer him cash once you guys work out a number. Just say, I'll be paying cash, but we need to look at the price. Then you can decide whether or not to give in to his prices.

It is a nice boat, and if it all checks out about the transmission, and you are happy with it, only you can decide what's a fair price. Good luck man, keep us posted.

It wouldn't have been a warranty replacement if it's 15 years old would it. I'd assume it was a purchase. I would like to think it's a scare tactic, hate to think anyone on here would see these posts and run to get it after I'm trying to figure out the best route. However If it's meant to be it's meant to be. I'm having a bit of a difficult time convincing the other half to go for it. Why buy a boat and spend another 6G on it when you can buy a boat for 14? My reply, that boat at 14 will still need work. To get a hands free boat for the next 4years we'd be looking at spending 25,000+ . But good luck explaining that one ha.

So well see, I can't get back up that way for a few days. Guess we'll see how everything goes.

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 05:39 PM
Who knows, fall is coming too. Guess I could find a deal then too

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 07:09 PM
I'd buy in a heartbeat looking at ad. Now that I hear of tranny replace, shaft replace, bent skag, entire upholstery re-do etc., etc. I wouldn't give it a second glance. That's no scare tactic, that's just scary to wonder why so many issues?

So you would or wouldn't buy it knowing what you've heard?

Ptownkid
07-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Nope, Launch and Saltare are different hulls.

Are you absolutely positive about that? I've always been told, and read many times that the Launch hull below the waterline was basically the same up until 2004. The exception being that they rounded off the back on the Launch. There's a guy on my lake with an 04 Launch and sitting in the water looking at it coming back to get me I could swear it was a saltare...

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Would not. Too many unknown variables for me. Would find later model Launch and invest in that.

So if I said my cap at maximum was 18,000; what might you suggest? And by cap I mean composite boat ready to roll with very minimal needed for a few years. Wish I could afford a V Drive, but that's definitely not in the cards. I do a good bit of tubing, wakeboarding, skiing

vvfdfirefighter
07-22-2013, 08:38 PM
I'd buy in a heartbeat looking at ad. Now that I hear of tranny replace, shaft replace, bent skag, entire upholstery re-do etc., etc. I wouldn't give it a second glance. That's no scare tactic, that's just scary to wonder why so many issues?

Just a glimpse of the interior, besides the playpen, it all looks like this. Probably why it wasn't pictured. My 87's interior is 75% better Thanks this and it's original. And he never posted this picture of the gash behind the fuel fill either.

Jetlink
07-22-2013, 10:00 PM
You wouldn't find me anywhere near $8,000 for that thing... Heck, I wouldn't even want to deal with those issues.

2500HD
07-22-2013, 10:13 PM
thats not a gash thats a bash, Check out these 2
http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/3842762922.html
http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3926076050.html

haugy
07-22-2013, 10:36 PM
Are you absolutely positive about that? I've always been told, and read many times that the Launch hull below the waterline was basically the same up until 2004. The exception being that they rounded off the back on the Launch. There's a guy on my lake with an 04 Launch and sitting in the water looking at it coming back to get me I could swear it was a saltare...

No I'm not 100% sure. But I think that the angle of slope in the stern from the skegs back is more steep on the Launch, and more flat on the Saltare. I was under a Launch a bunch back in the day, but that was before my Saltare so I couldn't compare.

As for that boat, wow, I would walk away. That's way too much damage and neglect. Time to look at others.

The one is Dickson TN is about 1.5 hours away from me. If you get real serious I can go check it out for you.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 06:22 AM
thats not a gash thats a bash, Check out these 2
http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/3926076050.html

The one in Richmond is sold, I looked at it and within 3 hours of leaving he called and said someone got it.

The one in TN looks great. Thanks for the listings 2500!!

Well I got the call last night, the salt is gone. Curious to what he got for it.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 06:29 AM
As for that boat, wow, I would walk away. That's way too much damage and neglect. Time to look at others.

The one is Dickson TN is about 1.5 hours away from me. If you get real serious I can go check it out for you.

That one in Dixon is 11 hours away from me but I sure would love to get an honest opinion on it!

jasun
07-23-2013, 07:18 AM
Well I got the call last night, the salt is gone. Curious to what he got for it.

Then the good decision was made for you... I hope someone didn't pay 11 for it. The interior was bad but fixable. The part of the cap by the fuel fill would have scared me off... that would have taken some money to make it look good... plus you dont know how much damage it did to the cap...

The guy did you a favor by selling it.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Then the good decision was made for you... I hope someone didn't pay 11 for it. The interior was bad but fixable. The part of the cap by the fuel fill would have scared me off... that would have taken some money to make it look good... plus you dont know how much damage it did to the cap...

The guy did you a favor by selling it.

Yeah I'm not too heartbroken on this one, I wasn't in love but I did like it. I was having a hard time convincing the other half anyway. They want a water ready boat , not understanding that's going to cost. I aappreciate everyone helping out though! Keepthe posts going on boats available. I do an allsearch of cCraigslist but seems it's nit giving me all.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 08:33 AM
There's this one too.

http://clarksville.craigslist.org/boa/3873966835.html

cadunkle
07-23-2013, 08:34 AM
I'm curious... These are still foamed though have composite stringers and floor. So nothing will rot, but foam can still be saturated and hold a lot of water. This would at least hold a lot of weight and possibly cause delamination or other damage from the water freezing in winter. So on a composite boat that has been used hard and put away wet, with no cover like this one, might one still need to remove the floor and remove all the wet foam and inspect the structure?

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm curious... These are still foamed though have composite stringers and floor. So nothing will rot, but foam can still be saturated and hold a lot of water. This would at least hold a lot of weight and possibly cause delamination or other damage from the water freezing in winter. So on a composite boat that has been used hard and put away wet, with no cover like this one, might one still need to remove the floor and remove all the wet foam and inspect the structure?

That's a good point, never even thought about that. I was assuming the foam used in the new(er) boats was closed cell foam. Guess I'm even more glad I didn't get it.

haugy
07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
I work for high-test whiskey. Crown Royal Special Reserve to be exact. :D

One in Clarksville is also about 1.5 hours from me.

wotan2525
07-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Looking at side profile pictures they certainly look the same. I've always heard that the Sunsport became the Launch 22 and the Saltare became the Launch 24. I don't know why they would have all new molds made and not change them very much.

96Comp
07-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Take a look at Richmond Craigslists. There's a 99 Launch that looks good. Richmond is not too far from Lake Anna. Judging from the ad, the boat is at LKA. He wants 15k. By the time you add the tower to this one, you may be close in price, but the Launch also have built in ballast.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Take a look at Richmond Craigslists. There's a 99 Launch that looks good. Richmond is not too far from Lake Anna. Judging from the ad, the boat is at LKA. He wants 15k. By the time you add the tower to this one, you may be close in price, but the Launch also have built in ballast.

If that's the one for 15,000 I looked at it on my way put of town..3 hours later it was sold. Just hasn't been removed off CL, ill check right now though. Thanks!

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 11:06 AM

This is the only launch showing, is this it?

If So it's been sold for over a week.

Ptownkid
07-23-2013, 11:40 AM
No doubt at that price with a brand new PP stargazer system.

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Alright folks....2000 launch...has a 310hp carburated engine, hydraulic wake plate, factory ballist...under powered?

Ptownkid
07-23-2013, 09:11 PM
No...why would that be underpowered?

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 09:34 PM
No...why would that be underpowered?

310 just sounds low, to me, I thought the launches all hard 330+.

Guess I just don't know how good it would pull fully loaded. My 454 struggles weighed to the Max on mine. Well maybe I'm hauling a little more Than max.

I was really wanting fuel injected though..

vvfdfirefighter
07-23-2013, 10:13 PM
How much would a perfect pass cost for this? It doesn't have one :-(

96Comp
07-24-2013, 09:00 AM
PP Stargazer is $1195. Easy to install. One version for electronic fuel injection and one for carb. The carb model has a throttle housing while the electronic fuel injection plug n play. PP will walk you through it if you have questions but the instructions are superb. I have it and perfect for slalom, wakeboard and surf.

vvfdfirefighter
07-24-2013, 02:42 PM
PP Stargazer is $1195. Easy to install. One version for electronic fuel injection and one for carb. The carb model has a throttle housing while the electronic fuel injection plug n play. PP will walk you through it if you have questions but the instructions are superb. I have it and perfect for slalom, wakeboard and surf.

How good is this on rivers, I've heard horror stories. I'd say we have a 1-2 MPH current

How good is it on rivers,

96Comp
07-24-2013, 02:53 PM
How good is this on rivers, I've heard horror stories. I'd say we have a 1-2 MPH current

I dont know. Lake user here. It can be calibrated to accomodate tides, but never tried it. Perfect Pass customer service could help. They are responsive.

Jetlink
07-24-2013, 04:44 PM

You are going to want the paddle wheel version if you ride on a river with a current more than occasionally.