PDA

View Full Version : Motor fail!

07-23-2013, 06:55 AM
Got up at 5 am to catch the calm water, unloaded the 2001 Santera with a 350 Indmar TBI engine and it would crank but not fire.
Took the air cleaner off and it was not delivering any fuel at the TBI unit.
When I turn the key on I hear what sounds like an electric fuel pump run for a couple of seconds and then stop, and in 45 seconds of cranking we saw one or two spurts of fuel in the TBI.
Any experience with this situation and where do I start?
Thanks
Todd V

michael hunter
07-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Unplug the injector harness and put a test light between the two terminals of the harness. You should have flashing when you are cranking.

07-23-2013, 09:36 AM
Unplug the injector harness and put a test light between the two terminals of the harness. You should have flashing when you are cranking.

Thank you! I will try that later today, what does it mean if I do not have "flashing" light?
Todd V

jzelt
07-24-2013, 09:51 AM
To me, that means they aren't getting a power signal to be open and allow spray.
If they are getting power, then it is possibly bad injector(s).

chrisk
07-24-2013, 10:04 AM
Last year I had a problem with similar symptoms and it ended up being a "decaying" fuel line at the gas tank. It was literally just miniscule tears in the fuel line, couldn't even see them without moving the line around a bit. I was able to cut about 3" off the line and reattach it to the tank, works great ever since.

So, if your pumps/injectors/whateveryouhave are working, I would check your fuel line at all the connection points, starting with the source.

DAFF
07-24-2013, 10:18 AM
Get a fuel pressure gauge on the system. Perhaps the fuel filter is plugged or pump is weak. My theory is test, retest and then replace.

michael hunter
07-25-2013, 12:25 AM
If you don't have injector pulse then make sure you have battery voltage to one of the harness terminals. The computer supply's the ground to fire the injector . With no ground signal its possibly the Crank sensor or computer. More testing will be needed to determine the problem.