PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

92SupraComp
07-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Hello all,

Joined a while ago, asked a few questions about my ski pylon in my 92 Comp last year. Well, have been tinkering with the boat some, I put the pylon back in and now at certain speeds it starts to vibrate. I don't recall it ever doing this before. Is this at all normal? I have already pulled our 3 person tube behind it (only 1 person in) and did some skiing since.

Also, I saw the in 1992 Supra (original Supra) made a few fully composite boats and offered lifetime warranty. Would this happen to apply to my 92 Comp? Those CCFan guys brag about how in 93 CC made ONLY the ski nautique fully composite, didn't know supra did that before them and on more boats!

EDIT: Also, would you guys happen to know what the "5000 Series" stands for?

But, my boat is still plenty loud making up for the silence of the CC, and plenty fun, although running time is limited due water conditions and we keep our 89 CC Martinique in full time and only take the Comp out once and a while.

Thanks,
Joe

96Comp
07-24-2013, 08:55 AM
Welcome! I have a 96 Comp purchased from the original owner. Before purchasing, I called SC and confirmed composite hull. SC told me the Comp has been composite since '92. Some will tell you to look at the windshield shape (round vs square). Look at the VIN. 92 and later is what you want. I also confirmed this with Jim at Viper Customs. He helped design the boat. Not sure if Viper is still around. If so Jim has a lot of ideas how to restore or mod a Comp.

Never removed my pylon, but it does not vibrate. You might have a bad motor mount that is manifesting itself in the pylon.

michael hunter
07-24-2013, 09:06 AM
I thought 92 was the crossover year early ones were wood and late were composite.

jasun
07-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Someone asked a question on another post about the foam in the composite boats... Will it still hold water over time?

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Ok. I have the Newer 2 piece round windshield. And the left side is Cracked! AH! I tried getting quotes from a few places but no one ever really sent me any emails back. Did find a place in FL though... But I'm afraid of the bill...

Still listening to anything anyone has to say.

comp92
07-24-2013, 01:09 PM
sounds like we have the same boat. i have had no issues with my pylon, i pulled 3 skiers last weekend with no vibrations. can you put some foam under the plate the screws into the floor around the pylon or are the vibrations sub floor? as far as windshields are concerned, better get the check book ready! if i find any more info. ill repost.
good luck!

comp92
07-24-2013, 01:10 PM
oh yeah almost forgot...Lets see some pics! :cool:

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 01:33 PM
ugh. I too ashamed. The boat has become mine basically. lol. My dad bought it in 1994 up in NH and brought it to his family's house on Kueka lake. Since then He has just used it. Then me and my brother came along. It got used even more. Then we moved to Texas form 2001 to 2009 (one more brother). It got used once sometimes twice a year. Just sat through the Texas summers and light winters in our drive way. (poor thing) We then moved back to NY, 2 hours away from Keuka, and we used for 2009 and 2010. Fall 2010 we bought our CC, so it sat from fall 2010 to summer 2012 in our barn. The gel coat is badly oxidized. Has scratches. And the Decals are scratched up bad. The interior has seen better days. But, we did get the back reupholstered and we start customizing it last summer. This year we have taken it out 3 times (its out right now) along with our CC. We go to my grandmothers cottage and we have our own dock with two lifts. One for E-Scow and the other for the 2 boats.

Last summer we patched the exhaust chamber. We made a back wall so that we can remove the back seat and still have the ski locker cover in place. I rewired the ground under the dash, got new gauges. Replaced the switch panels and main gauge panels with carbon fiber panels. (looks like crap cause I can't cut worth crap really).

If you really want, I will post pics. But I'm going to be embarrassed.

haugy
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I thought 92 was the crossover year early ones were wood and late were composite.

I have heard the same thing, but have yet to see a wood 1992. So that will be one of those things we'll just have to wait and see. From that information, there is a very good chance the comp is composite in this discussion.

To the OP, many of our boats looked rough when they got them. But show us, it's always nice to see the before and after pictures. Plus, we might be able to help you with things we see to save you time, money, and energy.

wotan2525
07-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Vibration in the pylon could be from damaged prop?

96Comp
07-24-2013, 02:55 PM

According to SC, the '92 is composite. That's what they told me. If had a serious questions about construction, I would call SC with the BIN and get them to confirm construction.

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Ok, I will get some pics. Well, the last 2 digits of BIN is 92. And, right below my BIN is a sticker that says like "This Construction 100% AME 4000" or something like that. I keep forgetting about that sticker...

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Here you go. Got a good amount, only the first 5

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 03:59 PM
next 5 pics

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 04:02 PM
dash, grounding bar, and horns XD. The funnel worked for a bit. Then quit. Where can I go proper loud, low tone horns??

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 04:06 PM
windshield and composite sticker. For the 2010 Keuka Plane show we had a group of boats tied up, we were on the outside cause we are small :P. (before we had the CC) We were tied up to our friends 1965 Owens Excel and . Just about to ready to leave when, a jerk driving his i/o at the perfect speed for the biggest wake, and of course he had the whole lake but went right next to us. So, our friends rub rail (tall boat) and our Supra Windshield finally met up close and personal...

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Well, let me know what you guys think and have to say.

"She good from far, far from good"

Oh, might add that, she takes off quick, and performs well, but, she doesn't have GT40 heads! Story behind why if ya want..

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Well, I was asked to post pics. Anyone there?

TitanTn
07-24-2013, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the pics. Certainly a good boat to start with and you're gaining with the improvements you've been making. That AME sticker is just talking about the type of resin used in construction. A lot of Supra boats have that sticker, even pre-1992. It's really not relevant to the composite/wood question.

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 11:40 PM
Ah, thats just the resin sticker. Is it as good as they claim it to be? CC switched from poly ester to epoxy in 1989, and the CCFan guys praise the epoxy over the poly ester.

92SupraComp
07-25-2013, 12:27 PM
Sweet! Well, even through the nasty windshield accident was 2 years ago, our insurance will replace the window and only give us a $100 deductible! I'm afraid how much that windshield is going to cost. USAA is awesome, sometimes...

TitanTn
07-25-2013, 12:34 PM
Congrats. After the windshield, what are your plans/timeline for the restoration?

92SupraComp
07-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Well, thats a good question. Because I will one Maybe 2 new windshields, yes, they may replace the other side because it has a crack that is growing. I will be guilted into doing more. Before I take it out next I Have to rebuild the dog house base. Its all rotten except for the back piece which my dad already rebuilt years ago. I would like to do the carpet. Its original and not really carpet anymore. Where do you guys get carpet?

Forgot to add, Getting the dog house reupholstered as well this winter.

TitanTn
07-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Several guys on this forum, including me, have purchased carpet from Ingles Carpet in Dalton, GA (carpet capital of the world). Quality material, good prices, and they ship very quickly.

http://inglescarpetinc.com

jasun
07-25-2013, 02:56 PM
Several guys on this forum, including me, have purchase carpet from Ingles Carpet in Dalton, GA (carpet capital of the world). Quality material, good prices, and they ship very quickly.

http://inglescarpetinc.com

I am guilty of this. Good fast shipping.