PDA

View Full Version : 1989 supra conbrio neutral

Thomasv
07-24-2013, 06:22 PM
I read the manual and it states i pull out a piece to put the transmission in neutral... I have tried to pull the lever towards me, the silver wheel directly in front if it and i found a spring loaded part that sits directly under the shift knob ball. I have a good feeling that pushing that little spring loaded item should put it in nuetral.

I actuate the lever downward and it moves a black piece, slightly. But i dont think its moving enough to actuate the nuetral setting. Am i on the right track?

92SupraComp
07-24-2013, 06:39 PM
pull the small metal wheel directly out, wiggle the throttle back and forth while doing so. The piece below the shifter knob is supposed to be a lock that you have to pull to go forward or back. (to prevent bumping by accident) But they wear out quickly. I dont have to do it for my CC or Supra.

Thomasv
07-24-2013, 07:12 PM
How much does the knob move? I cant even get it to move half a millimeter. :( even when using a tool. I see prior bite marks on it as if the previous owner tried and failed too.

Salty87
07-24-2013, 07:43 PM
neutral is when the throttle lever is straight up, neither in forward or reverse. to disengage the transmission, pull the circular 'button' below the lever away from the wall.

that button will only pull out when the mechanism behind the wall aligns correctly. in other words, it can't be disengaged while still in gear. if your cables aren't adjusted properly the button might not pull out since the lever could be straight up but the mechanism behind the wall isn't aligned quite right. that's where pulling the button while working the lever forward and back a bit might find the right alignment.

this could be a sign that the brass ends the throttle and transmission cables are attached to are wearing out. check this thread for pics: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?11239-Broken-throttle-control-parts-needed-ASAP-in-Maine&highlight=morse+throttle

pulling the morse throttle unit off the wall is a bit of a challenge. let us know if you need to do that.

btw, of course you don't want to be doing any of this with the engine on.

Thomasv
07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Buhahaha. Perhaps this photo might detail part of the problem. ;)

I will read that post in a sec but i did want to show you this "temp fix" here. It wasnt done by me.

Yes, i definitely am trying this with the engine off.

Salty87
07-24-2013, 08:45 PM
when in doubt, zip tie? lol, better than duct tape...maybe

Thomasv
07-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Ok. So.. Im on skidim.com acquiring even more stuff.. In reference to the zip tie above...

Do i need both or just one of these bracket hw kits?
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK090056

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK090057

Salty87
07-25-2013, 02:19 PM
the second link is the one for the transmission cable that you def need. be sure to check your throttle cable near the carb to see if it's been mcguyvered too.

since you're placing an order, ask them about the cable ends that i posted in the link above. there's a good chance yours are worn. they are brass and wear out if things aren't adjusted properly or just over time.

Thomasv
08-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks Salty! Ordering the necessities on Monday. (: will keep you updated.

Thomasv
08-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Well i installed the bracket that was temp fixed with a ziptie. Other then it being secure, i dont see how this has helped my neutral issue. The bracket holds the cable w no prob but i still cant pull that knob out to get in neutral. Is it time to pull off the lever box?

Thomasv
08-18-2013, 11:22 PM
/bump.
Anyone? Id really like to get this neutral issue figured out. :(

DAFF
08-19-2013, 12:26 AM
So is the issue that you can't find neutral on the gear selector or you can't engage the throttle without putting the boat in gear. I would soak the knob in question with lots of sea Foam WD40 style lube to try to get it free. I have a feeling you are going to have to remove the gear selector from the wall and do some exporitory work.

villain
08-19-2013, 08:41 AM
If you need the original morse control box I have an extra one. Thought mine was bad, but turned out to be a badly worn pin. Ended up replacing with a new morse box.

Thomasv
08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
I cant pull the neutral knob out at all, wont budge. This is when the throttle is in any position. It spins forward and backwards just fine as you move the throttle forward and backward. Its probably just not adjusted correctly but i have no idea how to even adjust it. There is a brass piece i can thread and im wondering if thats part of the adjustment or not.

I might take you up on that offer for the morse box if i need it but i gotta figure that part out first. ;). How hard is it to take apart and reassemble?

I think Salty nailed it. I havent replaced all the ends yet. I guess i gotta order more for the connections behind the throttle lever. I tried checking different throttle positions but none freed up the button.

Salty87
08-20-2013, 10:01 AM
I cant pull the neutral knob out at all, wont budge. This is when the throttle is in any position. It spins forward and backwards just fine as you move the throttle forward and backward. Its probably just not adjusted correctly but i have no idea how to even adjust it. There is a brass piece i can thread and im wondering if thats part of the adjustment or not.

this is a great time for a pic. i can't imagine what's spinning. i'm fairly certain my lockout button doesn't. where's the brass piece?

Jetlink
08-20-2013, 10:15 AM
this is a great time for a pic. i can't imagine what's spinning. i'm fairly certain my lockout button doesn't. where's the brass piece?

I agree on the picture however, when I take the morse control on my boat and place it in neutral by pulling the knob in front of the throttle out, the knob will rotate with any forward or aft movement of the throttle lever.

Thomasv
08-20-2013, 02:43 PM
The 'button' rotates in the opposite direction as the morse lever while in gear. I was just saying that it wont pull out but it does move w the lever.

Thomasv
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
I threw my hands up and took it to a real mechanic to get it checked out.
First thing he did was disconnect the throttle cable at the transmission and then he moved the lever on the transmission all the way forward. We tried to start it and it turned over.

Sooo, either the safety switches are bad or I may need a rebuilt tranny?! Im fearing how much this might cost. :(

He also pointed out where the tranny had been welded (up and down weld line thats visible when you look at the tranny while standing with your back to the nose of the boat and its right behind the engine on a flat surface)

Thomasv
09-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Things are looking up. Im a pc tech and i worked out a deal w the mechanic... I now have a means to store my boat this winter, get it winterized, and have him help me get it running again for next season. He fixed the pump but couldnt test it because of an open short somewhere. Were gonna work side by side through the whole process and i will continue to help him out w his pc stuff. Havent looked at the neutral issue yet but we will. In due time.