PDA

View Full Version : cracks in gel coat?

LVAXIS250R
08-06-2006, 06:21 PM
have started to notice small cracks in the gel coat under the front "playpen" seats on my 24 ssv. also have on accross the front top by the nav light, anyone else having these problems?

mdsmgu
08-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Yes, I also have spots in the fiberglass, but I have come to conclude that when I buy a boat from Skiers Choice I should expect this, they make a poor quality boat and expect the customer to take care of their problems. I am very unhappy with how my boat was manufactured and extremely unhappy with how they have not taken care of the problems. I am coming to the understanding that all of their boats have problems, instead of the idea that maybe mine was a unique lemon.

jsantos615
08-14-2007, 02:37 AM
Yes, I also have spots in the fiberglass, but I have come to conclude that when I buy a boat from Skiers Choice I should expect this, they make a poor quality boat and expect the customer to take care of their problems. I am very unhappy with how my boat was manufactured and extremely unhappy with how they have not taken care of the problems. I am coming to the understanding that all of their boats have problems, instead of the idea that maybe mine was a unique lemon.

It's been over a year since this post. Did you ever get resolution to this issue? I'm having the exact same problem with my 24ssv.

MovinFr8
08-14-2007, 04:25 PM
Have you contacted Skiers Choice and what year boat do you have?

jsantos615
10-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Have you contacted Skiers Choice and what year boat do you have?

I spoke to the rep and they're covering the repair(s) at the dealer under the warranty. My dealer and Skiers Choice Rep have been great thus far in terms of helping me with this stuff. The explanation that I'm hearing from a lot of people is that since the Government prohibited the use of lead in gel coat, gel tends to crack like crazy on boats these days. My concern is that this is a symptom of a bigger underlying problem, like more cracks forming a year from now. I just hope my friends that own Malibus aren't right about my buying a Supra.

I have a Sunsport 24v equipped like a Launch (tower, gravity III ballast, amps, subwoofers, tower speakers, walk-through sun pad, cooler step, front playpen 340hp engine, stripper pole)

dailyssv
10-18-2007, 10:57 AM
Every body that I ski with has malibu boats they don't have gell coat issues I know its a Skiers Choice issue Ive been there you get them fixed at the dealer or factory and they return. The problem is there is very little support under the playpen seat coushins anyone that is heavy will crack out that area because the fiberglass structure is thin so as it flexes the gell coat cracks its a poor design that needs to be addressed and has been there for years. Skiers choice needs to help us all on this on going problem.

jsantos615
10-21-2007, 03:29 AM
Every body that I ski with has malibu boats they don't have gell coat issues I know its a Skiers Choice issue Ive been there you get them fixed at the dealer or factory and they return. The problem is there is very little support under the playpen seat coushins anyone that is heavy will crack out that area because the fiberglass structure is thin so as it flexes the gell coat cracks its a poor design that needs to be addressed and has been there for years. Skiers choice needs to help us all on this on going problem.

I think you're right. Dealers and reps can only do so much. Murphy's law says that all of the cracks will come back the day after the warranty runs-out. maybe we should start a "Gel Coat Cracks" thread so we can share stories. At least I'm not alone with this.

propwash03
01-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I have cracks all over my boat, inside and out. The dealer I bought the boat from said they're stress cracks from the ballast tanks and tower stress from towing. DON'T PULL A TUBE OR SKIER HOOKED TO THE TOWER. My tower bolts loosen all the time, I have to tighten them every time I go out, have tried locking nuts and locktite, and they still vibrate loose. If you don't drive in choppy water, hit the double-ups a lot or other wakes, it helps.

H2Oman
01-04-2008, 10:05 AM
propwash03 - I have had the same problem with my previous boat. Regarding the tower bolts coming loose, double nut them. This was the only way I can keep mine from loosening and causing stress cracks in the gelcoat around the tower feet. Using a locking nut with the nylon ring and a locking washer will do the trick. Regarding gelcoat cracks in non-visible areas, I wouldn't worry about them. If you repair them, they will come back unless you get into the fiberglass and do a deep reinforcement and repair. I have been in a lot of different boats by different manufactures and I haven't found one that has been used and hasn't had some crack somewhere.

Good luck.

mrmal56
03-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Well, every boat I've owned has had stress cracks. Some more than others. But all had them. The Saltare I have now actually dosen't seem to have any which I think is unusual.

skilldiver
08-30-2009, 12:07 PM
My 2000 Air Nautique has no cracks of any type anywhere on the boat with 510 hours. I was considering a Supra as a replacement and am glad I researched it first.

Fman
08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I looked at many used boats before I purchased my Supra ranging from Tige to Mastercraft. All of these boats had some type of gel coat cracking going on. Its not only a "Supra" issue. Most people that use there boat eventually will develop some type of stress cracks in there gel coat.

When I was looking at boats, all of the cracks were around the tower legs and near the swim platform brackets. Obviously these areas take a lot of weight and pulling which is no surprise why there would be stress cracks in the gel coat. If you talk to anyone who knows about gel coats this is purely a cosmetic issue and will not compromise the gel coat/hull/top deck performance.

Fman
08-30-2009, 02:12 PM
My 2000 Air Nautique has no cracks of any type anywhere on the boat with 510 hours. I was considering a Supra as a replacement and am glad I researched it first.

Do you own a Supra? and not to make you feel bad, but I have a friend with a 2005 Nautique that has stress cracks in his tower mounts.

KO1
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM

My friend has a '07 211 Nautique. His has 178 hours and it has Stress Cracks at the tower mounts and the swim platform mounts. He's pissed!!!!

My boat is an "06 21V Launch 1100+ hours no cracks that I have found.