PDA

View Full Version : Launch...lost RPM, MPH, AND VOLT readings

vvfdfirefighter
07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Looking at a 99 launch. But it's 11 hours away. Owner stated the independent gauges for the MPH, RPM and VOLTAGE stopped working. However, the RPM and MPH still read out on the perfect pass...ideas??? Is it a fried magellion?

Rob

Jetlink
07-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Just curious if you would be willing to post the location in case one of us is nearby and can check it out for you briefly before you venture 22 hours round trip.

James
07-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I would bet money on the medallion being bad or a wiring problem in the harness. There kind of tricky to figure out. I bought a brand new medallion mdc 1600 ($500) for my boat and it still didn't fix the problem, then bought new gauges and that fixed the problem. It kind of stinks because the mdc comes with no returns allowed and is specially made so let me know if anyone needs one cheap. Also the perfect pass isn't hooked into the medallion wiring harness so it should work fine. Make sure you get the boats true hours from the tach even if it doesn't work You can still plug the 5 pin connector into the back of the tach and the hour read out should work fine.

99bison
07-26-2013, 12:39 AM
It's probably the gauges... I had the same situation - pp displayed rpm, etc. I ended up replacing all (6) but 2 of mine in an 01 (the other two had already been replaced - Gas and Oil Pressure).

After replacing most of them figured out they all had lifetime warranty (minus handling fee which was roughly half of list price). So the remaining one I could fine online new, I sent in and they replaced.

My PP was entirely separate for mph, had it's own paddlewheel.

vvfdfirefighter
07-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Just curious if you would be willing to post the location in case one of us is nearby and can check it out for you briefly before you venture 22 hours round trip.

Jet,
Last time I posted locations of boats I was looking at the ended up disappearing from before I got back to them. But these are located in the Nashville are. Haugy is looking at this one for me tomorrow

Jetlink
07-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Jet,
Last time I posted locations of boats I was looking at the ended up disappearing from before I got back to them. But these are located in the Nashville are. Haugy is looking at this one for me tomorrow

Excellent, at least you were able to find someone to help you out. That is what I was hoping someone would be able to do for you.

vvfdfirefighter
07-26-2013, 12:01 PM
It's probably the gauges... I had the same situation - pp displayed rpm, etc. I ended up replacing all (6) but 2 of mine in an 01 (the other two had already been replaced - Gas and Oil Pressure).

After replacing most of them figured out they all had lifetime warranty (minus handling fee which was roughly half of list price). So the remaining one I could fine online new, I sent in and they replaced.

My PP was entirely separate for mph, had it's own paddlewheel.

guessing I'm just going to have to bite the bullet with this issue if i get it untill i can get the shop to look at it?

vvfdfirefighter
07-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Excellent, at least you were able to find someone to help you out. That is what I was hoping someone would be able to do for you.

I'm very grateful for everyone willing to help out! Tight nit supra community....

99bison
07-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I replaced the gauges myself, wasn't very hard, so you could go that route. Just take pics first so you remember how to hook up the wires a month later.

And yea, i rarely use most the gauges anyway so I'm guessing you could get by with not having them for now anyway.

99bison
07-26-2013, 10:35 PM
If you look up the gauges warranty info there's test procedures to see if its the gauge, or xyz that's the problem.

I originally thought it may be a power/ground problem since all the non-working were on one side of the dash. But nope, each was bad.