PDA

View Full Version : 88 Supra Comp Question

r007mills
07-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Last time out a failed attempt to get someone up on a wakeboard resulted in a shattered tow mirror when rope handle was released. Anyone here know (or have one of these models they could check) the tow mirror glass dimensions (width, height, thickness?)

Jetlink
07-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Last time out a failed attempt to get someone up on a wakeboard resulted in a shattered tow mirror when rope handle was released. Anyone here know (or have one of these models they could check) the tow mirror glass dimensions (width, height, thickness?)

If nobody gets you this information in the next 24 hours, I will have my comp out tomorrow and can get you the dimensions then. On a side note, did the rope get loaded up and then sling shot into the boat far enough to cause the damage? No rope should do that if that is the case.

88 Upra
07-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I have a 88 Comp at my cottage and will be there later today....Would you like me to measure the mirror?

TitanTn
07-27-2013, 03:17 PM
On a side note, did the rope get loaded up and then sling shot into the boat far enough to cause the damage? No rope should do that if that is the case.

I tried last summer to get my big butt up on a wakeboard and after playing tug-of-war with the 454 (it won), the rope came out of my hands and went all the way through the boat and out the front.

gogger
07-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Sure you guys aren't using bungee cord?

Jetlink
07-27-2013, 11:14 PM
I tried last summer to get my big butt up on a wakeboard and after playing tug-of-war with the 454 (it won), the rope came out of my hands and went all the way through the boat and out the front.

Rob, you are not using a good rope then... I have a few really old ropes that I do not use unless I am running short on ropes like when I pulled 5 skiers behind my boat. (going to try for 6 in a few weeks) Anyways, a rope should never be able to slingshot like that and come into the boat much it at all.

As a reference point, this is my preferred wake board rope here...
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/shop-by-department/watersports-fun-stuff/boards/ropes-handles/kwik-tek-airhead-spectra-fusion-wakeboard-rope.html

Just gotta replace it this week so I have one for my week long vacation.

TitanTn
07-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Rob, you are not using a good rope then... I have a few really old ropes that I do not use unless I am running short on ropes like when I pulled 5 skiers behind my boat. (going to try for 6 in a few weeks) Anyways, a rope should never be able to slingshot like that and come into the boat much it at all.

As a reference point, this is my preferred wake board rope here...
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/shop-by-department/watersports-fun-stuff/boards/ropes-handles/kwik-tek-airhead-spectra-fusion-wakeboard-rope.html

Just gotta replace it this week so I have one for my week long vacation.

So this isn't the right kind wakeboard rope?

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/large/hig/1018300_z1.jpg

r007mills
07-29-2013, 12:51 PM
You guys are too funny with the rope jokes, but yes it did slingshoot and with quite a bit of velocity. Hit my head first and then glanced off and into the mirror. Was not using a wakeboard rope. Just using a ski rope designed for slalom skiing (had it at 22 off which would be a 53 foot length.) Was pulling someone just learning to jump wake and the wake is not too huge at this length. I'm not sure about wakeboard specific ropes, but a ski rope will definitely sling shot. They used to have nets behind the driver in tournament tow boats for the slalom event to protect the driver from the rope handle. I used to pull some pretty strong slalom skiers back in the late 80s early 90s. Ropes snapping back from 28 off to 35 off lengths were pretty common when a skier set an edge he couldn't hold. The difference in what happened with the wakeboarder vs the slalom skiers was the snap backs from the skiers were coming at an angle and not from directly behind the boat.

BTW, I went back down to where my boat is stored and picked up the mirror frame so should be able to get close enough to dimensions using the frame to get a new piece of mirror glass cut. Thanks to all who responded.

Cusefan78
07-29-2013, 05:14 PM
It is possible. I have had ropes slide out of my grips slalom skiing that made it into the boat and I'm only 140lbs. They make a shock tube to prevent that.

michael hunter
07-30-2013, 10:21 AM
Here ya go 1989 Supra shock tube . It came with the boat ski lines have quite a bit of stretch in them this was supposed to stop the handle from hitting the boat. Modern wakeboard lines are non stretch so the shock tube isn't needed.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/I9005_zpsd853e67a.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/user/suprahunter/media/I9005_zpsd853e67a.jpg.html)

michael hunter
07-30-2013, 10:26 AM
I am planing on removing the mirror from the dash and putting a clamp on mirror on top of the windshield . The dash mirror blocks my vision when driving and the skier if someone is sitting in the passengers seat.

Jetlink
07-30-2013, 02:10 PM
I am planing on removing the mirror from the dash and putting a clamp on mirror on top of the windshield . The dash mirror blocks my vision when driving and the skier if someone is sitting in the passengers seat.

Really? I have no visibility issues with my mirror where it sits and having a spotter sitting in the spotter seat. Are you talking the rear bench that faces forward and having a person sitting there blocking your view?

r007mills
07-30-2013, 04:50 PM
I prefer to keep my 25 year old Supra as original as possible, and as a practical matter, the piece of mirror to go into the original mirror frame cost me $16. An entirely new mirror assembly to mount on windshield would have been a bit more. I know what your saying though. If I have two people sitting in spotter seat, I do ask them to lean away from mirror while I am getting someone up and yes it does impair the driver's view through the windshield just a bit.

BTW, the dimensions of the mirror is 16" x 6" by 1/8" if anyone else ever needs to know. Also, interestingly, the mirror is almost the spitting image of a universal truck mirror (which my fleet manager pointed out to me when he saw me inserting the mirror into the frame.) Only real difference is the tow mirror sits horizontal on dash and the truck side view mirror is mounted vertically. He tells me he buys the whole mirror with housing for $20.

After having a good laugh about that (since I had spent hours online trying to find one made the same way on dozens of marine sites) I found pretty much the identical mirror assembly for $21. Go figure. Just goes to show you have to think outside the box sometimes.